Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nah, he is not gone, he lives even now in your heart full of fond memories as I can tell by your stories.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #242
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Nah, he is not gone, he lives even now in your heart full of fond memories as I can tell by your stories.
Aw! Thanks! You do understand.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

W2R, I am so sorry for your loss.

I agree with Robbie that your brother is still alive in your heart and your memories, which is all any of us can hope for once we pass on.

I hope the memories bring you comfort.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
REWahoo, Aja8888, Street, and BbbamI, thank you so much.

As you all know, I am agnostic and not especially religious. But just this once I really, really hope that there actually is a heaven, because I know for sure he would be there. He deserved it if anybody ever did.

And yes, BbbamI, he was very handsome! Smart, too; he was already done with high school and began college at age 14 (later in the year that the photo was taken), having maxed out the SAT's and college boards and took first place in the state wide math competition. He also was the first string quarterback on the varsity football team in high school. But now none of that really matters; he is gone; dust to dust.
Wow, he sounds like quite a guy. Exceptional.

You two look alike. Both of you good looking *and* smart.

My sympathy, W2R.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #245

W2R, I am sorry for your loss.

Today we attended a Bon Voyage party for our younger son, who is moving 500 miles away. DW is really torn up about it, but has accepted it as fact.

Just before we left the party, DW and I got him alone,and had a final word. I gave him a greeting card that was about encouragement, and enclosed a check that would cover his moving expenses.

He is a very low key person, but when he looked at the check he said "holy s**t!". I was happy to help him, as I have helped my sons.
Frankly, without seeming like I am bragging, We have more money than we will ever need, and it will be passed to our 4 sons.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #246
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Wow, he sounds like quite a guy. Exceptional.

You two look alike. Both of you good looking *and* smart.

My sympathy, W2R.
Aw, thank you, Accidental Retiree! Yes he was quite a guy and BTW, he managed to retire at age 52 or so, give or take a year, which is good because the severe strokes came when he was 60 years old. For my whole life I have always idolized him, as little sisters tend to do with their big brothers especially when their big brothers are amazing like Bob and my other brother, George (who is still doing well and in good health).

Also thanks for the compliment. As you correctly figured out, I changed my avatar to me (in 1965 or 1967 or so). When he and I were together we looked like two peas in a pod, nearly identical. The photos look a little different since I had a summer tan in my photo.

And thank you, MRG, Calico, and Souschef, and anybody I forgot.

I just notified my daughter of her Uncle Bob's death, and as crass as it may seem, I did it via a Facebook post (that only she and her DH can see). Due to distances and life's complexities she never met her Uncle Bob, or corresponded with him, or talked to him on the phone, or anything, so I am hoping that wasn't too awful of a thing for me to do.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #247
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just notified my daughter of her Uncle Bob's death, and as crass as it may seem, I did it via a Facebook post (that only she and her DH can see). Due to distances and life's complexities she never met her Uncle Bob, or corresponded with him, or talked to him on the phone, or anything, so I am hoping that wasn't too awful of a thing for me to do.
She may never have known her Uncle Bob, but I'll bet that she knows how important he was to you, and I'll bet that she will find nothing wrong with how you told her of his passing. My sincere condolences, W2R. May memories of happier times with him be a blessing for you.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #248

Sorry for your loss. May you find comfort.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #249

W2R, let me add my condolences. The passing of friends and family is a sad time but also a time of fond memories. Take care.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #250

I'm sorry about the loss of your brother, W2R. He sounds like a wonderful person. I agree with Robbie's comment about him living in your heart and memories.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Also so sorry to read this, W2R. He sounds like he was an amazing person (and yes, quite handsome) and it must have been such a shock when he had his strokes so long ago. It would have been hard on everyone in many ways for your daughter to have visited him after that, I imagine. Take care of yourself. Hugs.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #252

I am so sorry for your loss, W2R. He sounds like he was a wonderful person. Even when you are expecting it, it does not make it easy. Enjoy all of your memories and take care of yourself. Hugs.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I am so sorry for your loss, W2R. He sounds like he was a wonderful person. Even when you are expecting it, it does not make it easy. Enjoy all of your memories and take care of yourself. Hugs.
+1000

Even though you were separated by distance and his disabilities, in your heart he's still the smart and talented young man you grew up with. So glad you have such wonderful memories to cherish. Take care, W2R.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #254
Gone but not forgotten

So sorry for your troubles .
Old 02-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #255
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, everyone, for your condolences. I really appreciate your posts, more than I can express.

And Gumby, you were right... my DD did not mind at all that I told her on Facebook. She is mostly just concerned about how I am taking it, so I reassured her that I will get through this all right. I am experiencing some waves of unexpected grief overwhelming me from time to time, but so far so good. Sleeping is hard but not impossible. I have many wonderful memories of Bob, and as so many have said, nobody can take those away. Also I have photos and have been looking at them a lot.

Now, back on topic, what did I do today? Well now that I mention it.... I got my new recliner today! I have been sitting in it and playing with all the electronic controls. It is better than I remembered from the showroom.

So, I took a nice nap in my recliner, and then got back online. The White Glove Delivery guys provided by Lazy Boy, not only set up the recliner exactly as I wanted them to do it, but also took my old recliner next door to F's house since he wants to repair it and use it for himself. One of the delivery men had spent most of his life repairing recliners up to now, and he gave F some great tips and hints about how to repair it quickly and cheaply.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #256

We put our third (and last, at least for this season) bluebird house up on our property. In the SE US, the guideline is to have your bluebird houses up and ready for occupancy (cleaned out) by Valentines Day, so just under the wire.

We see many Eastern Bluebirds these days on our morning dog walks and I am sure they are already scouting prospective mates as well as cavities for a nest. The Northern Cardinals and Pine Warblers are ahead of the bluebirds - singing loudly most mornings to claim territories. Also the Barred Owls are starting to vocalize a lot in the evening and at night - announcing that "love is in the air". We had our annual snow event last weekend. I am ready for the dreary, rainy days of February to pass.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #257
Moderator Emeritus

The sun finally came out in south Texas today but it's still winter (42 F this morning). Costco trip today to pick up a few things and then make an appointment to get the airbag recall done on my recently acquired Mustang convertible.

Oh, DW gave me my Valentines Day gift this morning. She thought today was "the day". Too much retirement for her, I guess!
Old 02-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #258

Gym day, and having finished the income taxes I mailed the envelope with the small check for the feds and the other one that's going to get us an even smaller refund from the state. The federal return I e-filed, but for no particular reason I chose to mail them a check. Turbotax greedily wants $20 to e-file the state return and not being willing to play that stupid game I snail-mailed that return.

Then went to pick up a prescription and stopped in a Home Depot to pick up an order I'd placed online yesterday. Since HD is close to the drugstore I figured I'd just pick it up rather than have them ship it.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #259
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been a little kabin krazy so after lunch DW and I went up to the continental divide. The drive there gets a little crazy as does the way back. We both received a sufficient dose of adrenaline. Collectively our ears popped at least 15 times from gaining 4k feet in a short distance. 20200213_133747.jpeg20200213_132431.jpeg
Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #260

The sun is out for a brief time this morning, so I am enjoying it. According to the tv news weatherperson, we are expecting a "soaker Saturday" tomorrow. DH did a quick lawn mow after the sun dried the grass.
Heading to California for a wedding next month, so made the hotel reservations.
Closed Thread