Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had someone come in to level our manufactured home today. In the process, he discovered the heating duct in the hall bathroom had fallen off. Also he found a water leak under the house. The leak was from the drip irrigation pipe. While he was checking it out, the timer turned on the water and he got a shower.
In any event, the house is leveled, the leak is fixed, and the bathroom is warm again.
Life is good.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #342

I learned today that panhandlers are becoming very sophisticated. A (likely) street person approached us on the beach, selling something. He only spoke Spanish. Neither DH nor I speak Spanish, but I’ve picked up enough to say “no tengo mas dinero”. Which was true, since I’d already spent the little bit of cash I carried to the beach. He responded by showing me a laminated piece of notebook paper that stated (in English) that he could take PayPal or Venmo. [emoji23]

I do wish I had studied Spanish in school instead of French. I was doing Spanish lessons with Duolingo for about half a year, but with no one to practice with and no real need to use it, I lost momentum.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
He responded by showing me a laminated piece of notebook paper that stated (in English) that he could take PayPal or Venmo.
We have one around here who has a sign that says "I take Bitcoin".
There is a smiley face underneath, so it may be his idea of a joke, but I'm really not sure.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #344
Administrator

I went back to the old office today to have lunch with some of my former colleagues, which was very enjoyable. It felt as if I had just been away on vacation for the last week. They are very nice people.

Since it is an hour away, I took advantage of the trip to renew my pistol permit and pick up some brewing supplies (not at the same place).

Oh, and I am happy to report that there was absolutely no sign of panic over the recent stock market decline.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #345
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I had someone come in to level our manufactured home today. In the process, he discovered the heating duct in the hall bathroom had fallen off. Also he found a water leak under the house. The leak was from the drip irrigation pipe. While he was checking it out, the timer turned on the water and he got a shower.
In any event, the house is leveled, the leak is fixed, and the bathroom is warm again.
Life is good.
I remember going into our conditioned crawlspace to check something or other. In the process I discovered that our dryer vent pipe had come apart, and that part of the crawlspace was liberally coated with tumbleweeds of lint. DW wanted me to fix it, but I said it would eventually create a nicely insulated section under the floor. For some reason I lost that argument.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #346

Watched half of the movie Youth (2015).

The movie is supposed to be a meditation on aging / retirement but IMO really doesn't have much of interest to say. Gotta love those Swiss mountains, though!

I have a relative who has a daughter who regularly flies to Switzerland for alternative treatments at an exclusive spa. This movie gives me an idea what this might be like - not my cup of tea. I'd rather stay in a mid-range hotel and go hiking.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #347
Give me a forum ...

I reconnected with a former co-w*rker who had just been RIFFed after 35 years. Wow it was great to hear from her but she quickly reverted into the pain of being let go, the whole department was, and the fear of not having a paycheck. She received a year salary and I was attempting to let her see maybe retirement might be possible at 59. Sadly she had made some bad decisions with a rollover IRA but I just didn't comment.

I guess DW has a better handle on investments than she believes. When my co-worker mentioned ED Jones and annuities DW was amazed I didn't say anything. No point in telling someone they screwed up if you aren't in the position to help educate them.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #348
Confused about dryer sheets

Having lamb chops for dinner.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Life is good.
"Level" can have two meanings when it comes to houses.... I had to read carefully to make sure this "leveling" had a good ending....
Old 02-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #350
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
"Level" can have two meanings when it comes to houses.... I had to read carefully to make sure this "leveling" had a good ending....
+1!

When I read the first sentence I wondered what would be built on the lot after the "leveling"
Old 02-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #351

I opened my online checking app to note that my first pension payment had hit.

It's a mega-corp micro-pension - I now have tree-fitty per month for the rest of my days that DW says I can spend on anything I want (but I have to cover my monthly liquor tab with it first....)
Old 02-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #352

DIL came over for me to do their taxes with TT. All went well until I entered the sale of their house.
I triple checked my entries, then went on line to check the exclusion. In desperation, I called TT, and finally got to speak to a real person.
Bottom line is you have to use TT Premier to handle the exclusion. I had to upgrade from Deluxe to get it fixed.I had to clear and reenter the data and Bingo! there it was.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #353

DS got the plow truck stuck today. He got it in a side road about a block. I got my Jeep in about 5 feet and decided that was not going to work. We dug out about 5 feet behind the tires and raised the plow so it cleared the snow. Got it to back up a ways but it started to slide to the side. The snow was 4 feet or better on both sides. We had to get the road grade out to pull the truck back up the hill.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #354
gone traveling

DW, and I cleaned out/repainted/redecorated the kids bedrooms today for our use (empty nest as of 3 weeks ago). She will have a craft room where she can knit, do designs on her cricut, and do other stitch work. I will have a nice padded rocking chair in a sunny corner near the window to read books.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #355
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I got the rebate check from our Costco cc in today as we were leaving to go to Costco! (-: We decided to go by and eat "lupper" before hand. Then she saw where one of her favorite stores was having a leaping sale,so we went in there. We left there at 6:45 and got to Costco at 7:00. Parked in left field walked up to get a buggy and then we saw it---saturday hours closed at 7:00 pm. M-F is 8:00 pm LOL. We will have to make another trip next week. To top it off we got on I75 to go home and went 1/2 mile past the next exit and brake lights!!!!! 1 hr later we got to the next exit and were able to turn left while most of the other traffic was turning right and backtracked thru some country roads we made it home in 10 min. It normally takes us 20 to 25 min. to go to Costco, but we found out later on the news that it was a big wreck just past the next exit from where we got off that had things snarled. I feel for the families involved as I saw on tv that fatalities were involved.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #356

Using my turkey fryer burner, I toasted the inside of a 60 gallon French Oak barrel that I acquired from an old friend. It was a gift from his kids, but he never used it. So this winter I disassembled it, sanded it inside and out, and partially assembled it. After toasting it today, I will toast the heads with a propane torch and assemble, then hopefully begin to hydrate the barrel to see if it is going to be water(wine) tight. I've done two smaller barrels with great success, and hoping for a third. It will save me about $1500 if I include shipping.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #357

Updated my avatar for March, the month of St. Patrick's Day.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #358

Flew a small (very small) helicopter around in the family room.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #359
Give me a forum ...

Cleared trails, dragged som fallen trees closer to the woodpiles, at the camp. A nice sunny day 45F the high, it was 22F at 0530. Most of the snow melted.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #360
Give me a forum ...

I sent and received a couple emails from an attorney. I was surprised to hear from him on a Sunday then I remembered his occupation.

When I left Megacorp in 2013 I intentionally left one of two investment accounts under their control, so I had a backup to my taxable. I moved the risky account loaded with Megacorp stock in 2010 and started scaling out of it leaving the "safe" money behind. It was in a version of a fund that Megacorp's management tilted to various directions. Historically it had performed well for 45 years and continued to until the end of 2015. I moved it, as planned, in the summer of 2016 when the balance had dropped ~30%. Turns out the tilt resulted in a very, very irresponsibly large position in Valeant shares owned when Valeant did its big beautiful swan dive.

The case has progressed in the court with over 400 plaintiffs. So far 100 arbitrations are scheduled so it may be a long time, or they may choose to settle. I'd already mentally written the money off so anything recovered is a blessing.
Closed Thread