Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sushi for lunch and a trip to home depot for lumber to make additional shelves for clothes closets.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Son-in-law and I took my grandkids, ages 11, 5 and 3 roller skating. Had a great time. So glad that I did not get hurt, since DH and I leave Charlotte early Friday morning to drive to Ft Lauderdale so we can get on our cruise ship on Saturday morning. (My older sister was hurt roller skating with her grandkids around a year or so ago and is still in treatment for it.)
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Did some spreadsheet work to guesstimate this year’s withdrawal, as well as this year’s taxes. One perk of getting older is that I now get an additional $1300 deduction.

One reason to ponder this more closely this year is that I’m drawing down my next new car account by just enough to stay in the 0% cap gains tax rate. Plan is to buy the next car in 2021.

Placed transfer order, 3.53% of balance, 4.34% using the “4% rule”.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

After testing I parked the generator in it's new home between my new workbench and the bin rack.

The gas tank was removed and a plywood shelf was made for the (2) 30 lb propane tanks to reside upon. I installed retainers that engage the bottom rings on the tanks so they are secured and won't fall if earth quakes.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
..........The gas tank was removed and a plywood shelf was made for the (2) 30 lb propane tanks to reside upon. I installed retainers that engage the bottom rings on the tanks so they are secured and won't fall if earth quakes.
Not to be the safety police, but generally propane tanks are not stored indoors in case they leak.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #26

Yes >>> Propane is heavier then air and can be an accident waiting to happen. I'm sure you know that but always nice for a reminder.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Had a pleasant day hanging out at my mancave and taking a nice stroll. The stream had a pleasant sound, and watched ravens do acrobatics.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #28
Administrator

I climbed up on the roof this morning with an OTA antenna to see if I could get a TV signal. I stood on the roof rotating the antenna as the young wife went through the channels on the TV. We communicated by walkie-talkie. Sadly, there was no signal. I guess I should not be surprised as we live right down next to the harbor, surrounded by hills. But it does put a crimp in my quest to dump cable.

In the afternoon, I made bar soap.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I climbed up on the roof this morning with an OTA antenna to see if I could get a TV signal. I stood on the roof rotating the antenna as the young wife went through the channels on the TV. We communicated by walkie-talkie. Sadly, there was no signal. I guess I should not be surprised as we live right down next to the harbor, surrounded by hills. But it does put a crimp in my quest to dump cable.

In the afternoon, I made bar soap.

You were using a digital antenna in your area an got no channels? I use to have a digital OTA antenna from the shoreline and would get channels from LI. I’d think you’d get NH or LI channels.
OldGrady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 PM   #30

Went to the DMV to renew my license and make the new one a RealID. When I arrived I could see it would be a long wait, but since I I had already sunk 40 minutes (20 minute drive each way) and a return trip would be 40 minutes + wait time, I decided to stick it out. Ended up waiting 1 hour 40 minutes.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I replaced the sink in my bathroom with a vitreous china sink that fit in the same hole, but had a wider lip.

I should have put in a new faucet, and replace the pop-up drain. New sink has an overflow liner, I didn't realize it was a different type of drain. I may change that out soon.

Also installed 2 shutoffs under the sink, it was direct connected with copper lines.

It took 3 trips to Home Depot.

I hate plumbing work.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #32

Taking down the Christmas decorations today.
Work retiree insurance switch to Kaiser this year, so had my introductory "virtual" appointment with new PCP, after about 10 minutes, I was advised to make an appointment to see her in the office. Thats why I called to make an appointment in the first place!
But, she seems pleasant and I have had no problems scheduling dental appointments already and transferred RXs, too, for DH and myself, all with one phone call. Got referral started for vision care also. It seems more streamlined than previous plans.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Another "dodge kiddies" practice at the skating rink. This bunch spent a lot of time crawling and sitting on the ice. Monday resume normal routine of one or two of us skating.
Otherwise a dreary drizzly overcast day.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:26 AM   #34

Flew down to Bangkok yesterday with DW + daughters for a short holiday.

Got a full medical check up at Bumrungrad Hospital this morning – this places is a great advert for medical tourism. I'll pick up the full written report tomorrow but the doctor told me that the only issues are bad cholesterol being a little high and platelet count being a little low but, in both cases, not enough to be of concern. Every time I do one of these things I worry that I'll be told to cut down on my wine consumption but not this year.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Celebrating 3 year's FIRE'd today!

Going to hitch up the trailer and make a run toward central NH to pick up a ton of pellets for the stove, that time of year that the good ones are getting hard to find. Will hike with the pups after lunch if the rain holds off, do some metal work in the shop in the afternoon, then watch the Pat's game this evening....
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

1.) Slept blissfully until 10:30 AM.

2.) Coffee, browsing the internet at my leisure. Checked to make sure that my portfolio sales and purchases actually did result in returning things to my planned asset allocation. It's just as planned.

3.) Went to lunch with F; split a roast chicken wrap.

4.) Watched the seagulls and sailboats in Lake Ponchartrain for over an hour, together. Had a wonderful, long chat in the parking lot overlooking the lake, and took some more photos of the birds including the one below of them perched on top of a light pole about 6 feet from us. Photo taken from the car window using the free LG phone given to me by Cricket a few years ago, as a reward for switching from Verizon to Cricket.

5.) Changed the batteries for all four keypad entries on my four exterior doors.

OK, #5 was somewhat constructive. Guess I'm done for the day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Birds cropt.jpg (38.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #37
Administrator

Went to my church men's group in the morning. Then prepared and canned 8 half-pints of chicken stock using the carcass from the roast chicken we had last night. I can in half-pints because that is the most frequent amount we need in recipes - 1 cup chicken stock.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #38

Dog and I participated in an obedience rally trial. Pub trivia this evening.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Dog and I participated in an obedience rally trial.
How'd you do? (As an ex-Border Collie 'owner' I often had the impression he was dissatisfied with my performance(s).)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Hiked in the new fallen snow. Explored a boat boneyard. Washed the truck. Processed a bunch of photos that have been stacking up. Napped and watched youtube videos.