Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #401
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching The Players. Some good golf today.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #402

Stayed inside mostly, except for getting the newspaper and mail. Oh, and the new anode rod for the water heater arrived from Home Depot. I'm still waiting on the new kneepads for the work I want to do on the front porch water-draining project.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #403
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Early in the morning, put some of the cash in money market fund to buy some stocks and bonds. It's about 1.5% of the total stash.

It has been rainy, but we managed to do a walk during the interlude. A pot of jambalaya for dinner is cooking on the stove. Life is good, as usual.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:35 PM   #404
Administrator

Spent the hours of 5pm to midnight at the emergency vet when one of the cats was suddenly meowing loudly, limping and holding her foot up. Turns out not to be a broken bone. Could be a ligament, but most likely a sprain due to jumping down from a high place.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #405

The current state of education continues to appall me.
Walked into a hardware store's "nuts & bolts" section and was greeted by a friendly young man.

"Good morning, sir. What can I help you find?"
"I need a couple of machine screws, metric sized."
"Yes sir, what size?"
"M8"
"Yes sir, right over here."
(shows me the drawer with ⅛" diameter screws)
"No, I need metric size M8"
"What does that mean? What kind of size is that?"
"Never mind, I'll find them myself."

They were about six feet away in the same aisle.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #406
Give me a forum ...

Gassed up car, drove through carwash, bought a bag of pecans and walnuts, coffee and BS with usual suspects at coffee shop.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #407
Recycles dryer sheets

Drove to Costco to be there when it opened (not for TP!). The lot was full, the line extended almost the length of the building. I turned around and went to Albertsons and found a 2 for 1 sale on glucosamine which is all I really wanted. What was I thinking going to a Costco on the weekend? I'm retired, sheesh!
Old 03-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #408
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This morning I spent some time on a teleconference with the HOA board, crafting our response to COVID-19. Then I paid bills online.

After lunch I made some phone calls to cancel tax prep appointments for Monday. AARP Foundation Tax Aide has shut down all sites until further notice. Our site has about 250 people with appointments that we need to contact, so each counselor took a portion. Most of the people I called either expected the call or understood the necessity, but one poor LOL is very worried and needed some reassurance. (Thatís not my strong point. Iím a numbers person, not a people person, but I did my best).

Now itís time for a (solitary) walk in the sunshine.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #409
Give me a forum ...

I celebrated Pi Day.

Repeat after me:

3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 105820974944592307816406286 20899862803482534211706798214808651328230664709384 4609550582231725359408128481 11745028410270193852110555964462294895493038196442 8810975665933446128475648233
Old 03-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #410

Hope you remembered to raise a toast at 1:59 pm to wish Albert Einstein a happy birthday.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #411

Filled out the Census form online. Took about ten minutes. Grilled some chicken and ate some for lunch.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #412
gone traveling

Wrapped up our tax returns.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #413
Administrator

We took a nice walk around town. The sun was shining and it was warm enough for a light jacket. People were walking their dogs, smiling and greeting each other. Kids were riding their bikes. Some people were busy at the local watering holes celebrating St. Patrick's Day (there was supposed to be a parade today, but it was cancelled). We bought some Girl Scout cookies from the girl down the street who set up a stand in the front yard of her house. All in all, a very pleasant time and a great place to live.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #414
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Blew a tire on the plow truck yesterday. The spare was flat as it has been since I purchased the truck. I called Costco yesterday trying to get a new set of tires. The ones I ordered because they were on sale were not available so they gave me the ones I really wanted for the sale price. With no spare, I decided it would be easiest to take 4 wheels and tires down to town and make one 5 hour trip and get them all replaced so that is what I did. That took putting the truck up on blocks and stuffing the wheels and tires in the back of the Jeep and going down to the city and getting them replaced. Got the wheels back on the truck, but that was a lot of work. Now I have a good enough spare so next time I hope I can just put the spare on to get the bad tire fixed.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #415
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I went to pick up some water to carry with us on our upcoming camping trip. We are going for 5 days with some friends and always carry water for cooking and coffee. The campground water is fine for bathing but I just like my spring water for consumption. The shelves weren't empty but my guess is they would be in a few hrs. We are in the over 60 crowd so we will be self isolating on the shores of our favorite campground.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #416

Yesterday I dug out the weeds in my small vegetable/herb garden. Chopped down a past-its-prime rosemary bush also (roots too well established for me to dig it out at this point - will need to wait for it to die a bit more). Added organic compost/soil and then planted tomatoes, jalapenos, thyme, basil, and a replacement rosemary. My parsley has reseeded itself so didn't need to plant that, and I trimmed back the oregano and sage which also winter over. Turned on the drip irrigation for the growing season.

Today after online church in a few minutes I'll go pick up the RV and de-winterize/clean it for the season. We plan to head out tomorrow for a few nights at a state park not too far away. Weather isn't going to be great but it will be nice to get out and see something different.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #417
Administrator

Church is cancelled, so I am in the middle of making chicken stock. I'll can it when I'm done. I may plant the peas in my garden later.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #418
Recycles dryer sheets

A lot of churches around here have either canceled or are having online, or facebook live services. My GD attends a private school that has canceled classes until April 3rd. when they will look again at situation. We will be sharing responsibility with the other set of grands for helping out while the parents work. My DD said Friday how thankful they are to have both sets available and willing to always help out if needed. My home town city school has also canceled their classes,but they will be running the bus routes with lunches to give out to any of the children that need them. I thought this was great because many children would not be getting fed well during a shut down like this.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #419
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Today after online church in a few minutes I'll go pick up the RV and de-winterize/clean it for the season. We plan to head out tomorrow for a few nights at a state park not too far away. Weather isn't going to be great but it will be nice to get out and see something different.
DW and I just had a discussion about doing the same, but not for another week or two when cabin fever begins to peak.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #420

Started on the front porch drainage fix. It's concrete and never has drained properly, after every rain there's a puddle about three feet around and 1/8" deep right in front of the front door. You can get around it but doing so requires some contortions. So I'm in the process of grinding away concrete to make the porch drain as it should.

Several months ago I stumbled across a sale on Home Depot - a large Milwaukee M18 (battery powered) 7" - 9" angle grinder at regular price and the smaller version, the 4.5" to 5" for free, tool only, no batteries or charger. I already had batteries for other tools anyway so I bought the tools.

So today I finally got all the gear together needed to grind concrete - silica dust mask, better set of goggles, excellent knee pads (my right knee especially does not like kneeling) full face shield and of course the grinder wheels for each angle grinder, dust shrouds for each, and a "throw-away" $25 vacuum cleaner that fits on top of a 5-gallon bucket. That last was a mistake, it promptly clogged with the fine concrete dust and wasn't very effective but definitely better than nothing. It did gather about an inch of dust in the bucket but I'm going to need a bigger vacuum. I already have the "dust separator" thing that goes onto a five-gallon paint bucket but the little vacuum isn't strong enough to use that.

The limiting factor on how long I can work on this at one time is my sore back, about 15 minutes or so. Take a break and go at it again for ten minutes or so, and I'm done for the day. I think it'll take three or four sessions and I'll be done with it.

Those angle grinders are a bit intimidating. They are designed to cut and grind through steel, stone, and concrete, and it's apparent that they won't even notice should any parts of my frail little body get in the way.

Edit to add photo, and note that later I did remember the earplugs. That's the small grinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg concrete grinding (1 of 1).jpg (137.2 KB, 41 views)