Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #421
Recycles dryer sheets

Swept and mopped my floor. Baked some sweet potato. Cooked a delicious lunch and played ball indoors with my dog.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #422
Administrator

This morning, I took one of our cats to the feline oncologist so they could remove the stitches from her lyphadenectomy and start her chemotherapy (she has Hodgkins lymphoma). I was happy that they are still seeing patients. Then, the young wife and I went out to lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Putzed around the house in the afternoon. Cooked steaks on the grill for dinner and just enjoying life right now.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:26 PM   #423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had a buddy help me cut down a smallish tree in my front yard. Looked a little like a Christmas tree but badly out of shape. Looks much better gone. Avoided looking at my Fidelity acct but I know it sucks. So no need to confirm. Ha.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #424

Dropped off the Honda Accord to get the alignment checked because it was pulling to the right. They did an alignment and that's fixed now, but he said it's at the limit of adjustment. I suppose I'll have to go find some reverse potholes to hit if the alignment goes out again. On the way home from dropping off the car we picked up a couple of prescriptions and we stopped at the grocery store and got the rest of the stuff DW couldn't find on her outing yesterday.

Went back out for an appointment to get blood drawn for some scheduled tests. Results are in: I'm gonna live.

Came home, ate lunch, took a nap, and in a moment of either foolishness or courage, I moved the snow blower from the garage to the shed and drained all the fuel out of it. DW says that'll cause a blizzard for sure and it'll be ALL MY FAULT. Since the outside temperature was 67F I'm thinking chances of a blizzard are pretty slim. So far this winter we've had a grand total of maybe four inches of snow and that was gone in two days. I'll take the risk on the blizzard.

Called up U.VA hospital where I had a follow-up appointment next week with the doctor who did the cardiac ablation for afib about four years ago and rescheduled that until next September. I'm stable as far as that's concerned and I figured that a large hospital is not a good place for me to be right now if I don't have to be there. The nice lady on the phone agreed.

After all that running around hopefully "we're in" for the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #425

Today was the traditional corned beef and cabbage, washed down with a Guinness. That felt so good I washed the first Guinness down with another. Making this sort of meal is so much quicker and easier with the Instant Pot than it used to be!

Went out for my usual run this morning and noticed that traffic, both pedestrian and vehicle, was about 75% of normal. DW went out for a walk this afternoon and said the same thing. So life goes on.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #426
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went back out for an appointment to get blood drawn for some scheduled tests. Results are in: I'm gonna live.
When I opened my eyes and woke up from a major surgery (have big scars to prove it), I knew I was going to live.

The only question was for how long. That took a while to answer.

It's almost 7 years, and counting.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #427
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got the wood shed restocked today. Looking forward to 5.5 inches of snow on Thursday.

All the parts came in today for a 360 degree shower curtain so I can have a temporary shower in my house even though I cannot finish the shower walls until the electrical inspection and final framing inspection are done. I also strung an electrical line through the floor joists over to the hot water heater. I'm hoping to be all set up for hot showers in my house tomorrow. I won't have to venture out to the Ranch House (our community building) for showers any more. A few city folks are starting filter in here at the Ranch...
Old 03-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #428
Give me a forum ...

I made a quick grocery run, there was some of many things but no paper, disinfectants....

Had a conference call with the attorney groups representing claimants against Megacorp. There's about 450 former co-w*rkers who are all in this. It was interesting to see some old names; some haven't changed! I was amazed to hear the details of the incompetence of Megacorp's management. I'd never been part of anything that successfully reclaimed any serious amount of money but who knows. I like the approach the team is using I hope it works. I suffered a 6 figure loss some lost a lot more money than me.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #429
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I opened my eyes and woke up from a major surgery (have big scars to prove it), I knew I was going to live.

The only question was for how long. That took a while to answer.

It's almost 7 years, and counting.
Great to hear! It's nice to dodge those bullets.

I'm the master of implants with both hips now, plus some steel in my left forearm and left shoulder from an "almost deadly" car wreck 35 years ago.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #430

Renewed my concealed carry license today. They make it easy to do online now, so that was a break.
Went out for a long walk and noticed that traffic, both foot and vehicle, was down considerably from Monday. I'd say less than 50% of normal.

Had an email from an old friend in his 80s, who wondered why all the commotion about quarantine. "Anyone in his right mind would have stocked up on food weeks ago, so what's the big deal?", he wrote.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #431
Administrator

I renewed my pistol permit last month. It doesn't actually expire until the end of May, but you can renew 90 days in advance, and I had a feeling this lockdown would be in our future. Sure enough, the State Police announced today that they would not be processing renewals.

Our long term stocking up was done years ago. I went to the grocery this morning for some fresh milk, eggs, cheese, fruits and vegetables, which should hold us easily for the next two weeks. We'll reevaluate whether to go back out then or just suck it up and dig into our canned/frozen/dried supplies.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #432
Moderator Emeritus

We ordered a hot lunch delivered from our favorite restaurant. F said that for safety the gloved deliveryman did not even walk close to him but just stood at the curb holding the bag with outstretched arm. They only take credit cards (by phone) now, so there was no lengthy contact while paying, either.

After that, he did three loads of laundry over here (since his washer is broken). We sat and chatted about what the future of the world might be, and watched some youtubes together. I pointed out that the governor hinted that we might possibly be headed for total lock down soon. So then we talked about what that might mean, and how we would manage if we are faced with further restrictions. He has a level head and had some good ideas.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #433
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We ordered a hot lunch delivered from our favorite restaurant. F said that for safety the gloved deliveryman did not even walk close to him but just stood at the curb holding the bag with outstretched arm. They only take credit cards (by phone) now, so there was no lengthy contact while paying, either.
I've been avoiding restaurant food, as someone has to make it, and nobody knows what happens in the kitchen. It's been a couple weeks since we ate anything one of us didn't cook. It's been really hard, but we're just that paranoid. The grocery store and mail are going to be our only point of contact with the world for awhile.

Except of course for my emergency visit to the bank yesterday. But that's not happening again.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #434
Give me a forum ...

We have not been going out to eat at all but I am getting tired of meal planning so we might get take out tomorrow or not ?
Old 03-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #435
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to get take out at a favorite local restaurant. Called in the order, she said I could either go in and pay/pick up, or they would bring it to my car. I asked which she preferred and she said "either, no body is in here right now."

Drove out, walked in. All chairs are flipped up on the tables. No one in there except two that usually serve (its a counter order place) and the kitchen staff. Gave my name to the rubber glove wearing girl at the counter. She pointed to the credit card reader facing me, seeming to avoid wanting to touch my card. She said that I could either wait inside, or in my car, but if inside I couldn't sit down.

I said "weird, huh?" and asked about how may customers they had had today. She said they typically had done very little take out business, but "regular customers" (like me) were ordering.

I tipped 25%.

Hope they do OK.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #436

Yesterday DD was working hard at getting me to cancel my dentist appointment as too risky. Today she called and I listened to her rant about how stupid this was and that all her co-workers in the entertainment industry were unemployed just as the meager winter season was ending and their busy season should be starting. Now she says this whole thing is total over reaction. BTW, she's 8 months pregnant.
The dentist called me and cancelled my appointment yesterday. My Ranch Board meeting is going ahead tomorrow via Skype. The bar and grill we normally meet at is closed. I got the electric hot water tank wiring hooked up so I have hot water and the shower curtain rod and curtain installed and the shower head hooked up so the shower should work. I will test it tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #437
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to a nice 6" of new snowfall a much welcome treat. We are supposed to have a chance for some most of next week. With highs in the 50s its going to be sloppy.

Went out for a walk around our neighborhood and walked down here.

Happy Spring to all :20200319_140309.jpeg
Old 03-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #438

Went to my local supermarket today to take advantage off Senior's hours. They opened at 7 AM, and I was there at about 6:45 and was third in line.
The bread and TP shelves were empty, as were the eggs. Plenty of produce, meat, etc. Also there was no flour.
DW was concerned about people stealing food from us. I told her not to worry, as we are in a +55 park and nobody has anything.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #439

The big event of the day was the FedEx truck pulling up and the driver delivering a new 12-gallon Ridgid shop vac and some accessories that I'd ordered from Home Depot. Be still my beating heart! It was delivered early enough, and the trash truck came late enough, that I was able to flatten the box and get it out front in time for it to be taken away.

DW has what I think is some minor bug unrelated to COVID-19 but I'll of course be paying close attention to her.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #440

I have an excess of gym equipment, mostly dumbbells (about 6 pairs) and a dumbbell rack. I can get by with a two sets of spinlocks and a couple hundred pounds of plates.

So I've gathered the excess together and listed them on the internet for sale. I figure now is a good time to sell them as so many people are wary of going to the gym.
Closed Thread