Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #441

We came back yesterday afternoon from our RV excursion as today was predicted to be rainy (which it is) and I hate breaking camp in the rain. It was really nice to be away, and social distancing is easy in a campground. Texas state parks are still open but without services such as stores, rentals, and programs. Hope they stay that way as it's a great way to relieve the current stress.

Went to the grocery store first thing and got most of what was on my list. Unfortunately, the available meats/poultry did not match my menu planning, but that's minor in the scheme of things.

Now tackling my to-do list:
- get trip insurance from the Holy Land trip I was supposed to be on this week changed to the rescheduled trip this time next year
- order a new water filter for the fridge (not worth going out to Lowe's for it)
- figure out where/when/how to take DH's wheelchair van to find out why it's draining the battery (just bought a new one last week and it's dead as a doornail already),
- figure out if garage door that won't close consistently needs repair or just cleaning,
- order replacement doorknob for door from house into garage as the latch isn't working properly and hopefully find a YouTube video on how to install it so I don't have to try to find a handyman. I can also get DS on FaceTime as he is in the middle of a self-imposed 14-day isolation since he went to a big wedding last Saturday before everything shut down. The happy couple will certainly have special memories of their wedding day!

Here are a few wildflower pics from our trip to brighten your day (with some wildlife as a bonus)
(Sorry they are sideways)

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #442

Interesting conversation with a neighbor today (at a 15 foot distance). We've been having some nice Spring-like weather, so DW and I have been going out for a run or a walk every day. But the neighbor is miserable because he's about ten years older and "there's no place to walk indoors because everything is closed." We have sidewalks everywhere and it's a quiet, peaceful neighborhood, but he needs an indoor venue like a shopping mall to do his walking. I hope I don't get to that point when I'm his age.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #443

The weather is pleasantly warm today so I worked a bit more on the front porch drainage issue, making progress but slowly because I can only work on it for 15 minutes or so at a time because my back starts hurting. But the high today was 74°! Yay, I'll take that for mid-March.

That Dustopper thingy works great. Although seemingly a bit pricey for what it is, just plastic parts, whoever designed/marketed/sold it deserves to be compensated for their "better mousetrap". There was very little dust downstream from the Dustopper - I'm impressed, and the five-gallon bucket had the bulk of the dust in it. Very little was in the tub of the shop vac.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porch grinding (1 of 3).jpg (257.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg porch grinding (3 of 3).jpg (243.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #444
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been doing a lot more on line shopping than normal. I ordered some more stuff for my just-set-up shower. I ordered a case of hydraulic fluid for the snow plow from Amazon. I did a cart on line at the grocery store for my normal weekly shoping. I think I will wait until Monday to do the checkout and go in then to pick it up. We had well over a foot of snow yesterday so the plow has been through some very deep snow today. Everything has been plowed.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #445
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That Dustopper thingy works great. Although seemingly a bit pricey for what it is, just plastic parts, whoever designed/marketed/sold it deserves to be compensated for their "better mousetrap". There was very little dust downstream from the Dustopper - I'm impressed, and the five-gallon bucket had the bulk of the dust in it. Very little was in the tub of the shop vac.
Yep. I bought an Oneida Dust Deputy about 5 years ago. Same concept, probably more expensive because there weren't any knock offs available back then. But I haven't had to clean my shop vac filter once in the entire 5 years. It works great.

I use mine mostly for sawdust. I would expect some of that concrete dust to make it through to the vac. But it's still a cool item. Now you need to build yourself a cart for it all. The one I built is like this one, although a little more primitive.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #446

DW just coined our situation here in Southern California. She called it "house arrest" without the ankle monitor.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Now you need to build yourself a cart for it all. The one I built is like this one, although a little more primitive.
Yes! I've seen a couple of similar designs for that on youtube and even ordered the second 90° elbow from Dustopper yesterday. But I'm debating whether to drive to Home Depot or Lowes and get the fixin's or try to do it all online and have it delivered. I'd like to take some parts with me to make sure it's all going to fit together, and if I get the wrong stuff that makes a simple project a royal pain. But it's not like it's some emergency and I'm in the high-risk group so I'm inclined to just wait a few months and see how this shakes out with the virus.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #448
Give me a forum ...

I understand completely. The newest issue of Family Handyman has a neat plan for a Murphy bed that folds up into a desk. Very similar to this one It's a cool design, and would work perfectly to make the room where our dogs sleep more human-usable. But I'm not going in to buy the plywood and other supplies needed for it. Even though it would be a great way to burn some time while in lockdown. Oh well.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #449

Another beautiful day here, on the second day of Spring. The sun is shining, currently watching tv with DGS, will go outside and play in the sandbox soon. Easy to be isolated with him around! :-)
Old 03-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #450

Went to the store this morning for the first time in a week because we were running low on eggs. Looked like any other Saturday morning -- no big crowds, no panic buying (although one woman had her cart piled high with cases of Mountain Dew ).

In the whole (very large) Kroger store I saw just one person, a customer, wearing a mask. Shelves were not as fully stocked as usual, but there was a decent selection of everything as far as I could tell.

There were signs all over the entrance (Don't enter if you're sick, etc.) and signs near the checkouts about limits on certain things (no more than 2 cartons of eggs per person, etc.) but that's to be expected.

Overall, it was a pleasant shopping experience. All I needed was eggs and some cheese, so a short trip. I won't need to go back again for at least another week.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #451
Administrator

Last week, I shaved down some interior doors that always stick in the summer. Today, I painted the shaved edges. Spoke across the yard with the neighbors. Then the young wife and I took a walk around the neighborhood to enjoy the sun and fresh air. There were a lot of people out walking, some with their dogs. One group of four women were sitting on lawn chairs in a front yard talking to each other, but they were a responsible 6 feet apart. The young wife is making chili for dinner.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #452

I've been meaning to do it for a while so earlier today I took advantage of the probable demand for home gym equipment and listed 450 lbs of excess dumbbells and weight plates on the internet. I should have asked for more...got 6 hits in the first 10 minutes and sold them right away. After I had made a deal someone offered me more than I was asking

I kept the deal I made with the first person who made a fair offer.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #453

Went for a walk this morning for the cardio benefits and plan on doing that every day weather permitting. I'm not so diehard on that that I'll go walking in a downpour. Met two very friendly dogs who haven't "got the memo" on social distancing, but that's okay, I like dogs and they were on leashes so if I'd expressed concern the owners would have pulled them back. Yeah, I know, if the virus had been on them I could get it that way but I'm not that concerned about it yet.

I will forego a discretionary trip to Home Depot to get the materials for building shop vac/Dustopper cart combination for a while. WV is now up to eight cases of COVID-19.

Did one more session with the angle grinder and the front porch grinding. According to a level and longer straightedge I'm done, but I was too tired by then to pull out the hose and check drainage. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll just wait to see how well it drains.

DW got a bee in her bonnet over the grass growing and mowed most of the lawn so that's all neat and tidy-looking.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #454
Moderator Emeritus

At 7:00 AM I met some ROMEO buddies at Burger King for our usual meet up. BK has a outdoor patio where we met and had coffee, etc. It was 52 F out this morning!

Then I went to Walmart to pick up a few things I forgot to get yesterday.

At noon, I met a friend for lunch at his house.

At 4:00 PM, I went to DD's house to visit her and plan out her kitchen upgrade this summer.

Back home now and tried to walk the dog in the rain (he hates rain). Maybe later?

DW made beef stew for tonight since our favorite restaurant is closed up like all of them are around here.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #455
Give me a forum ...

Went to my lake house to blow leaves from last Fall. Neve seen so many acorns in the grass. Came home with a pickup truck full of leaves--letting them blow in the wind.

Will return to deal with another mountain of leaves next week. Quite a few fishermen were on the river on a pretty chilly day. The fish are really biting on our lake which is the holy grail or big catfish and big smallmouth fishing.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:02 PM   #456
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had coffee, read e-mail and social media. Went through my list of "stuff to do" I had done the night before, before we left for our lake house for maybe 2 weeks, an hour away. Added chemicals to the hottub, put the snowblower in the garage, snow forecasted for Monday afternoon.

DW is still working, but on indefinite work from home status. We have some minor projects/painting going on at the lake house and figured we would just hang out there, slightly fewer CVID-19 cases there and a lot more rural so why not.

Called in a take out order to the only food serving business in our town of 3100 people for lunch. Drove down a few minutes later and chatted with the owner about how things had been going. She said "so-so" some take out business (state has shut down all restaurant on premises dining) but it is sporadic. I paid my $25 bill and added a 40% tip to it. She looked at
the signed copy and got a little teary eyed and said "Thank you so much."

Drove north the lakehouse and unloaded food and goods for a 2 week stay, DW took another route in her car stopping at a grocery store chain that was purported on social media to be "well stocked" but messaged that many shelves we empty.

Took a 1.8 mile hike in the neighboring state park with our 2 dogs. Came back and, in anticipation of a cold NH week ahead, ran the log splitter in the shed and split some kindling sized red oak and birch. Collected some deadwood on the property and threw it onto the brush pile for a burn on Tuesday after the snowfall.

Poured a favorite lager into a frosty glass and video chatted with 30+ year old relationship friends before making a nice Italian sausage and ravioli dinner with DW and a nice Pinot Noir.

Odd times now. But we are committed to distancing, and finding ways to preserve the things that we value the most in our days.....
Old 03-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #457

Now that I am possibly protecting other people from me on the COVID-19 front, I decided to purchase a washer and dryer for the unfinished house. It took about 4 hours on the phone with Home Depot. Their computers were very slow and the people were extremely busy. After a few false starts and dropped calls, I got it done. They will deliver to my garage and I will set them up.
I have used the local laundromat since I started the house, but it would not be appropriate now and I doubt if they are open. (The governor has limited gatherings to 10 people.) The house is plumbed for the washer and I just put in an outlet for the hot water tank that I can use for the dryer. I will probably also get a pull-out clothes line so I don't have to mess with swapping plugs all the time.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:56 AM   #458
Give me a forum ...

Sitting at the 'puter listening to Acoustic Storm on Pirate Radio out of Key West.......Major Tom didn't make it....again.....every time I hear Bowie I hope "This time"....

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-22-2020, 05:04 AM   #459

Arrived home yesterday from our aborted trip out west. We were almost a week in Page, AZ, and things were closing nearby. We were supposed to go to Moab, UT for two more weeks but just headed for home. On the first day coming back we heard that Moab had closed all lodging so it was for sure the right call, but still disappointing.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #460

DW wanted to finish mowing the grass and did most of that. I cleaned out the bugs from the front porch and garage lights.

She also found a box of anti-viral face masks in a closet, neither one of us remembered buying it. She suspects she did when she had a cold or something. It doesn't have an expiration date on it so I guess they're still good, and the paper of the carton hasn't turned yellow or anything. We'll probably use two of them when we eventually have to go foraging for food.

I wonder if we could swap it for a carton of TP?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face masks.jpg (135.3 KB, 32 views)