Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took a nice break from the sky falling down with COVID-19 to play 18 holes on the private course near our winter condo with a friend who is going home Tuesday morning. The nice thing about golf for me is once I get out there all this other crap disappears.

Shot an 81 with one birdie and one double bogie... one of my better scores of the year.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #462

I signed up for Sirius XM. They have a 3 month free trial. I understand that they'll be bugging me to sing up when it's over, but they didn't take a credit card, so it's not one of those trials where you have to cancel or you get billed monthly until you do cancel. Plus, my car is relatively new so they were sending me crap all the time anyway from that original trial. So, I'm good with fee music until 6/22/20
Old 03-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #463
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a walk around the neighborhood. State parks are closed, so no hiking for a while. Started putting new drawer liners in my rolling tool chest. Organized it to the point where I may have 2 empty drawers when I'm done. I'll need to order more tools to fill it.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #464
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walked most of Black Diamond trail, approximately 5 miles. Lots of inclines
Old 03-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #465
Give me a forum ...

Laid most of my drip irrigation lines to keep things alive in FL when/if we ever go back north. I'm missing 1 half inch T fitting, other than that I've got it all in place. Still need to bury the lines in some places, and run the drip lines to specific pots and trees. Now I've got to go to the hardware store for the part, which sucks. I guess I'll do it, and pick up a cilantro plant while I'm there. I haven't been anywhere for a few days, and would prefer not to go. But I also don't want to order a $1 part on Amazon and wait 3 days. Decisions, decisions...
Old 03-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #466

I have declared that it is now not supposed to snow here for the rest of this year. The snow blower is fully "summerized" with all the parts that needed greasing and oiling are now greased and oiled, including the axles. Most people ignore that part and then when they need to get the wheels off for other maintenance they find the wheels are rusted to the axles. It's all about an hour job to do it right.

And the lawn mower blade is freshly sharpened. It wasn't all that bad since we don't use the mower much (we hired a mowing service years ago) but once in a while DW decides she wants to do some part that is growing faster than a once-a-week mowing will do do her satisfaction.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #467
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I have declared that it is now not supposed to snow here for the rest of this year. The snow blower is fully "summerized" with all the parts that needed greasing and oiling are now greased and oiled, including the axles. Most people ignore that part and then when they need to get the wheels off for other maintenance they find the wheels are rusted to the axles. It's all about an hour job to do it right.

And the lawn mower blade is freshly sharpened. It wasn't all that bad since we don't use the mower much (we hired a mowing service years ago) but once in a while DW decides she wants to do some part that is growing faster than a once-a-week mowing will do do her satisfaction.
This morning it started snowing a little, but it turned to rain and is now falling steadily. So no walk for us today.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #468
Recycles dryer sheets

Started Fall repairs, tightened up patio furniture so I can power wash and paint for winter protection. Getting dark earlier so noticed a bunch of outdoor lights needed new bulbs. These advertised 20,000 hour LED bulbs are full of it. 2 identical fixtures in virtually the same place and on the same switch. One had a compact fluorescent, the other an LED, both lasted about 2 years of occasional use. Only positive is new led’s cost half of what they did just a couple of years ago..

Made up a comprehensive shopping list for tomorrow and reorganized fridge and freezer to make space as there is talk of locking down my area in a couple of days. Only allowed to go to the nearest grocery store if they order everyone to stay home, and the one close by is horrible! also need to lay in supplies for various house projects I might tackle if stuck at home.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #469
Give me a forum ...

Set an alarm to get up for senior hour at the grocery store. What a waste of oxygen, I'll go whenever next time.

Spent some time in the kitchen and made chille and cornbread. I'm impressed by the cornbread it's my best ever here. At 7750' its tricky to bake.

ETA: After taste testing the cornbread is my best at any altitude. Chille was good too I rehydrated some morel mushrooms to add a little something extra.

20200323_161511.jpeg
Old 03-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #470
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Expat View Post
Started Fall repairs, tightened up patio furniture so I can power wash and paint for winter protection. Getting dark earlier so noticed a bunch of outdoor lights needed new bulbs.
But it's Spring, and the days are getting longer. Aren't they? Or have I been isolated so long I missed summer?

Worked on the irrigation system, planted more strawberries and zucchini, cleaned up the grill and chimanea, and am currently making chicken stock from leftover rotisserie chicken carcasses.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Its snowing as I write this...
Old 03-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #472

DW went to local grocery store for "Senior Hours", what a zoo! Left at 6:10am, got back at 8:20am. She stood in the bakery section for an hour because of the madness. I got up at 8am, ate breakfast, and smoked 10# of brisket for dinner/freezer.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #473

My GF moved in recently and I'm finishing up a major reno.

Today we brought 6 more boxes out of storage (the garage) and we sorted through them and decided if we're keeping my version or hers. We tossed some junk and filled the 6 empty boxes with stuff to donate. I also went through 4 boxes of books that were stored in the sunroom, sorted and labelled some (book series), kept the ones we haven't read and boxed the others to pass along.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #474
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought I would try some of the 'old people' hours. Nothing on my list was of much importance. I was at the local Albertsons five minutes before it opened and waited with the others outside. Most people headed right to the TP aisle. I headed left towards flour and sugar and produce. Got my three items (still no white sugar) and thought okay while I am here lets see how the TP is doing. Once I saw a line to even go down the aisle I thought that was darn silly and checked out.

Off to Winco. Thehe parking lot was very busy. Found white sugar and Dawn dish soap my DW had mentioned. Plus a six pack of TP though the shelves were very empty.

I think that I am too early to go to Costco so stop at Home Depot out of curiosity. Find a couple of anti-bacterial liquid soaps for the bathrooms. This HD's self checkout used guns that you needed to pick up. I rolled my eyes. Not a big deal, to the car and cleaned my hands for the third time.

Now finally to Costco. I think I am too early. Wrong. The parking lot was full and there was a line of people outside. I said No Way and headed home.

Back to my peaceful life and watching the market go upwards . . .
Old 03-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #475

DW insisted on an outing for grocery shopping, both of us separately which I thought was a bad idea because of the lack of coordination. I went hunting to the regular store (Martins) and was astonished to see that the produce section looked absolutely normal with the exception of no green seedless grapes. So I got my salad stuff, including jalapeno and habanero peppers. No boneless skinless chicken breasts, and the meat section looked a bit thin, but no one was going to have to do without. Mainly I just wanted the chicken so didn't buy anything else.

The paper products aisle looked like all the other photos of that in other stores - stripped bare.

DW did get some paper towels at Weis's and she bought two filet mignon and two London broil steaks. I'm not sure what prompted that but we'll grill those.

Went for a walk and saw half a dozen or so others walking around, temperature in the mid 50's at the time.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #476
Administrator

Bottled 5 gallons of American Pale Ale. Went for a long walk down along the water with the young wife. Chatted with a few neighbors while we were out for our walk.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #477

Among other things, finished watching "Series 2" of The Fall, a British-Irish crime drama set in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I enjoyed the first two series of this program - high production values, good acting, good script - but I don't see much point in watching "Series 3". This might be one of those programs that went one season too long.

The last time I was in Belfast was early spring 1984. I was doing a little tourism while on my way to Stockholm for a summer internship at Ericsson AB. I thought that Belfast was dismal and creepy at that time (lots of barbed wire and military around) and got the heck out of there as quickly as possible. I enjoyed the rest of my tour of Northern Ireland and Ireland.

I'm surprised to read on wikipedia that there is still a lot of Protestant / Catholic tension in Belfast after 35+ years. Here's a quote:

Quote:
Despite a period of relative peace, most areas and districts of Belfast still reflect the divided nature of Northern Ireland as a whole. Many areas are still highly segregated along ethnic, political and religious lines, especially in working-class neighbourhoods.

These zones – Catholic/Republican on one side and Protestant/Loyalist on the other – are invariably marked by flags, graffiti and murals. Segregation has been present throughout the history of Belfast but has been maintained and increased by each outbreak of violence in the city. This escalation in segregation, described as a "ratchet effect", has shown little sign of decreasing.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #478
Full time employment: Posting here.

Took a nice bike ride around the neighborhood in 82 deg weather. Ran into a pair of Sand Hill Cranes with their babies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71861F8B-4C68-49D4-BF9E-014D61D4B648.jpg (591.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #479
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Took a nice bike ride around the neighborhood in 82 deg weather. Ran into a pair of Sand Hill Cranes with their babies.
How lucky. Great picture!
Old 03-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #480
Moderator Emeritus

ROMEO group meeting at 7:00 AM (Burger King).

Helped a friend decipher his sprinkler system and controller. Got wet! All is good now.

Took DW to Physical Therapy @ 11:00 AM.

Went to Walmart (prescription, food). Picked up DW at 12:15.

Spread a few bags of garden mulch. Need MORE!

Fixed the clogged A/C Evap Coil drain (under the bathroom sink) - messy,tight area job.

Fixed the neighbors clothes washer water lines as the installer (new washer) put them on backwards.

Got in three walks with the dog during all of this.