Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 05:19 AM   #541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi. Trying to get some kind of rhythm in. We're rotating who goes to the store (my kids also have homes in my small city). Yesterday it was my turn, next Friday it's my son's. Prices are up but not much (avocados 3/$5, strawberries $4, french bread $1.99 so that's up $1 on each). We are on day 18(?) of Shelter in Place but we can go outside to shop, doctors, walk. I'm trying to walk 3+ miles a day on Black Diamond or Bruce Lee trail with the dog.

So the dog has decided he's had enough. For the 2nd day in a row Koda sat down during the walk. Had no intention of going 1 more step away from the house so I had to go back. Obstinate little guy
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #542

Today I started a project I've been putting off for far too many years. I decided to digitize all our vinyl record albums and get rid of them. About 7 or 8 feet of shelf space full of old albums, mostly from the 60s and 70s, so this will be a very time consuming affair. But with so much time just sitting around at home, I think I'll probably get it done eventually. Since it's all music we bought at one time because we enjoyed it, I think it won't be too bad to listen to them again.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #543

I finished and scanned my second scrapbook in two days . This one had only 2 incomplete pages but it was 78 pages so it took a long time to scan (each page has to be placed on the flatbed). Converted all of the .TIFFs to .JPG and uploading them to Shutterfly now to order printed books so I have one to keep when the kids decide they want theirs.

Raining all day so doggie and I haven't had a walk. Tomorrow at least is just supposed to be cloudy so hopefully we can make up for it then.

Time for a glass of wine and dinner prep - shrimp and grits is the comfort food of the day.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #544
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Today I started a project I've been putting off for far too many years. I decided to digitize all our vinyl record albums and get rid of them. About 7 or 8 feet of shelf space full of old albums, mostly from the 60s and 70s, so this will be a very time consuming affair. But with so much time just sitting around at home, I think I'll probably get it done eventually. Since it's all music we bought at one time because we enjoyed it, I think it won't be too bad to listen to them again.
I was just thinking of doing the same! I'd be interested in hearing what format you decided on, what lossless version? and what software and hardware you are using for the transfer?
Old 04-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
I was just thinking of doing the same! I'd be interested in hearing what format you decided on, what lossless version? and what software and hardware you are using for the transfer?
I'm well past the age where super high quality does anything extra for me. In my youth I was kind of an audiophile but much more easily pleased today.

I'm just using a free application called ocenaudio to turn the discs into .wav files at 16 bits resolution (CD quality) and then importing them into Music on my Mac.

I have a Stanton turntable with digital output so it's pretty straightforward.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #546
Administrator

Cleaned the downstairs of our house; I'll do the upstairs tomorrow. I'll be quite happy when our cleaning lady can come back. Then went out and uncovered my fig trees from their winter slumber. Started cold hardening the new thyme before I put it in the ground later in the week. After all that, came back in and popped the top on a bottle of the new American Pale Ale I brewed last month. I'm quite pleased with the result.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #547

I cleaned the house for Passover all except S's room. He's home from college & teaching. Then made my grocery list. It's going to be a very small group, just 5-8 of us. My dtr / her SO / and her littlest one / S / and me. I invited DS & his 2 kids but I have no idea if they'll come. DS says his ex isn't Sheltering in Place so he doesn't want to 'contaminate' me.

Off to try to find a game for Seder instead of a traditional service. DS dropped off his haggadahs for me to use but I want to think outside the box. This night / year is different
Old 04-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #548
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got discharged from a local city hospital after emergency appendectomy surgery last night. Started feeling localized pain on Sat. Sunday told DW I might want to have it looked at, suspecting appendicitis. Normally I would have given it "a day or two" to see if it got better on its own, but with the impending Covid surge in the next 1-2 weeks here, I did not want to have an "issue" at a time when I couldn't get healthcare.

Boy am I glad I did go. After some probing, then a CT scan, around 3:00 yesterday met with the surgical team. They had not one case scheduled that afternoon, I was in 30 mins. Even the ER when I got there around 11:00 or so was empty, only one other person there.

My wife, an ICU nurse now working in corporate was told she could not come in there. The hospital's policy now is no visitors, except for childbirth (spouse only) or end of life cases.

Woke up in PACU at around 7:00 pm. Considered coming home late evening, but pretty intense post op pain and decided to stay the night.

The kick? Not only did I have an inflamed/blocked appendix, but my colon had perforated slightly and was "leaking" into the abdominal cavity. Had I not gone in, it would have gotten bad really fast. The staff that all amazed that with my fairly advanced condition, I had no fever, nausea, chills, etc. Even my pre-op blood labs were pretty normal.

So a bit of a PSA here, if you get abdominal pain (lower right side) and there one "OOOOWWWWW!" spot you can hit, go have it checked out.

Back at the lake house recuperating, AND quarantining now....
Old 04-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #549
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

doneat54, you really did dodge a bullet - actually two or three bullets! Congratulations.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #550

doneat54: wow! glad you are doing better.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #551
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the kind words. I am also a cancer survivor (12 years clean), I have learned not to "ignore" stuff that seem significant.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #552
Moderator Emeritus

Great news, doneat54! You are one lucky guy! I think I would go out and buy a lottery ticket if I was you!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #553

Assembled 2 4 wheel Rollators to donate to our local hospice. Hopped in the car, and it would not start. It has been sitting for a couple of weeks with us sheltering in place.
Fortunately, I had a battery charger I originally bought for the switch engine, and it a 50 amp emergency start setting. Honked it up, and the car started right away..
Delivered the walkers to the hospice. Since we have not been there to repair any of them, this should help.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #554
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got to love Florida! I was pulling some root bound plants out of big pots in the back yard today. Appropriately they were Mother-in-law tongues, also known as snake plants. On the second pot I cut the roots up around the edge, then pulled the plant out. It took both hands, since it was pretty big. As I was tossing it in the wheelbarrow I looked down into the pot and there was a den of Black Racers under the roots. At least 4 or 5, and a couple of them were pretty big. They were doing their "I'm a rattlesnake, don't mess with me" tail rattling and striking thing. I'm not afraid of snakes, but it's a good thing it wasn't DW or she wouldn't be worrying about coronavirus anymore. They scattered, going under the pot and across into other plants. So now we're not allowed to keep the back door open, which we usually do.

The only one I was able to get a picture of is about 4' long or so. That big part's garden hose, not snake. Personally I'm glad they're around, they eat mice and rats and venomous snakes. But hopefully they'll find someplace new, and not in our lanai. Hmmm...not sure why it came out sideways in the post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black racers 2020-04-06.jpg (768.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #555
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Got to love Florida! I was pulling some root bound plants out of big pots in the back yard today. Appropriately they were Mother-in-law tongues, also known as snake plants. On the second pot I cut the roots up around the edge, then pulled the plant out. It took both hands, since it was pretty big. As I was tossing it in the wheelbarrow I looked down into the pot and there was a den of Black Racers under the roots. At least 4 or 5, and a couple of them were pretty big. They were doing their "I'm a rattlesnake, don't mess with me" tail rattling and striking thing. I'm not afraid of snakes, but it's a good thing it wasn't DW or she wouldn't be worrying about coronavirus anymore. They scattered, going under the pot and across into other plants. So now we're not allowed to keep the back door open, which we usually do.

The only one I was able to get a picture of is about 4' long or so. That big part's garden hose, not snake. Personally I'm glad they're around, they eat mice and rats and venomous snakes. But hopefully they'll find someplace new, and not in our lanai. Hmmm...not sure why it came out sideways in the post.
Photo size too large (make it smaller). That should fix it.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #556
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Previously ordered a whack of groceries online from Wally World, (our usual store doesn't have this option running....yet)....and just went to pick them up.

Young guy from India hauled the trolley out, and from 'afar' I held up a $5 bill and put it in the trunk. He said he wasn't allowed to take tips....I replied that I wouldn't see him take it, and turned my back.

Got home and it was still in the trunk.

Pity....we'd have liked to have shown at least some small appreciation for the people working with the public while we're safely holed up inside.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #557
Moderator Emeritus

Today I went to the gym - - well, OK, the W2R Gym, in my bedroom. There I rode my stationary bike for a few miles.

Then, backed up my computer while playing my new video game.

The weather is fabulous! Sunny, 84F, with a light breeze. Since I have no patio furniture, I put my lightweight camp chair out on my (small, 8'x10') patio just outside the back door and positioned it so that I could sit in the shade of the house. Then sat outside and played my video game some more, using my Nintendo Switch as a portable hand-held device. As I played it was nice to enjoy the fresh air and breezes and hear the birds chirping in the trees.

When Frank came over I brought my camp chair back inside, and we had fun chatting for a while in my den as always. Right now I'm enjoying a light brunch of scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #558
Administrator

I went to the grocery and the liquor store this morning. It was my first trip out in 10 days, and now we should be good to go for another two weeks at least. It may be notable that I spent twice as much on wine as I did on food.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #559
Recycles dryer sheets

Gumby,
I had a very similar day. After about 10 days of isolation, I made a trip to the liquor store to stock up on wine, and my first trip to costco since the state wide virus shutdown.
I loaded up on meat, and misc.
It went fairly smooth, and I'm all stocked up for more isolation time.
Take care, JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I went to the grocery and the liquor store this morning. It was my first trip out in 10 days, and now we should be good to go for another two weeks at least. It may be notable that I spent twice as much on wine as I did on food.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #560

Sunny day, sitting outside on the deck enjoying solitude.
Closed Thread