Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #661

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyk View Post
The hospice where I volunteer asked if I would send some pics of my pet therapy dog to include in clients Happy Birthday cards so Sam and I did this. We miss visiting a lot

Attachment 34705
That is an adorable card, bluskyk! How sweet of you two to do that for them.

We're now getting up into the 80s most days so I'm going to try to get all my outdoor stuff done in the mornings. Today was a nice long dog walk and an hour of weeding/pruning. After lunch I think I'll do a little maintenance on our fish pond which is looking very sad since it didn't get its normal professional spring cleaning yet due to COVID. Then I'll tackle the paperwork for the two ZOOM meetings I was secretary for yesterday - spent way too much time sitting in front of the computer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #662
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Early morning 3 mile walk.
Bought some wine online.
Whittling down cabinet and floor selections for the new house. They need our final answer tomorrow.
Sitting on the spin bike now. Shooting for an hour. My butt is tired from a long ride the other day. May bail soon.
Meeting with our builder later today to finalize doors and fireplace.
I think it will be a take out night tonight.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #663

Got a few R/C flights with the Turbo Timber in the back yard before the wind picked up too much, and by then my fingers were starting to get cold anyway. This airplane is fun; near-vertical climb, and with full flaps it can make a very steep approach without gaining too much speed to land so it's a good fit for my back yard flying. I'm eyeballing the new Citation but I'm not sure that one will fare so well with the short field that I have. But at least it's a private jet that is within my budget.

Also, at DW's insistence, checked on the robin's nest under the back deck. Of the two eggs, apparently only one hatched as I saw only one chick in there. The nest is on a board that is less than a foot below the deck itself so I have to use an inspection mirror to look inside the nest. Momma robin is very unhappy when anyone walks around that side of the house. It doesn't seem to bother her much if I walk on the deck itself though. DW wants photos. I did manage to get some photos several years ago but it is definitely a "hit and miss" proposition, involving setting up the camera and flash on the stairs to automatically fire at intervals and then hoping you get a good shot. If people are around Momma robin won't go near the nest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UMX_Turbo_Timber.jpg (61.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg UMX_Citation.jpg (55.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #664
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We took a trunk full of groceries to our neighbor who works at a food bank. All the local food banks are getting overwhelmed with requests with so many families needing help right now.

Worked on my home made face masks. We have to start wearing them inside stores soon here. Walked the dog. Happy hour on the patio.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #665
Recycles dryer sheets

I transplanted 40 tomato plants from tiny containers that were ok for starting seeds into beer cups.

Cut down two dead medium sized trees in our woods, cut the trees into chunks, loaded them in my tractor's front bucket and then stacked the chunks for campfire wood.

Now 3:30pm, contemplating if I should mix a drink or take a edible. hmmmm.....
Old 04-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #666
Administrator

Grocery shopping this morning. Spread about a yard of mulch after lunch. I went in with the neighbor on a 5 yard delivery and it's in his driveway, so I have to go over there, load it in my garden cart and bring it back one load at a time.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #667
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
I transplanted 40 tomato plants from tiny containers that were ok for starting seeds into beer cups.
That's a lot of tomatoes. We have one cherry tomato plant and we're getting them faster than we can eat them.

Quote:
Yes.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #668

This AM (just after midnight, actually), DW and I went out and laid down on our road the observe the Lyrid meteor shower. It was a clear night, the moon was waxing crescent (and didn't matter much anyway, as it set around 7PM) and the temp was in the mid 50s F. Perfect night for star gazing.

In about 1.5 hours, we saw 9 - with two good fireballs. Not great compared to the Persieds or Leonids, but still well worth it. Plus after your eyes get accustomed, the heavens really open up. Our rural location is relatively free of light pollution.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #669

Trapped two more squirrels and drove them do the Angeles National Forest for their family reunion. We spotted one of the squirrels that we released the other day and made eye contact. Our garden is looking much better.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #670
gone traveling

This morning, I skidded about 15 dead/down trees (all about 45' tall, and 6'-18' thick) nearly a 1/4 mile, out of our creek bank into an open area near the road, where I can cut to stove length (18"-20") when convenient. I can get to these downed trees even if it gets muddy, or the farmer starts planting.

This computes out to about 2 months worth of firewood for my farmhouse that I can use this upcoming Winter.

This afternoon, I re-dug our French drain that runs the length of our 104x60 indoor riding arena so future rains will drain away, and not flood one end of our barn.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #671

Two days ago the power blinked. Yesterday I discovered the digital temperature controller on my converted chest freezer stuck in the “cooling” mode and froze my kegs of homebrew solid. Beersicles. It had happened before but upon resetting it, it had gone back to normal. No such luck. Fortunately I had bought a replacement controller the first time so I spent the morning replacing it. All is well now, except I’m not sure how the beer was affected. This first one tastes good though. Also baked banana bread and recycled. Wonderful weather now but rain tomorrow.

Frankly, not much different than before COVID-19.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post

Cut down two dead medium sized trees in our woods, cut the trees into chunks, loaded them in my tractor's front bucket and then stacked the chunks for campfire wood.

With the bad day I'm having I vote for the edible. Primarily because I am out of wine
Old 04-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #673

Doggie and I had an abbreviated walk because the mist started getting heavier and he hates walking in the rain. Yoga class via ZOOM (during which we had a brief but strong thunderstorm including hail) followed by grocery shopping. Caught up here and with e-mail and then we played online games with DD and DS (both in grad school)- we're making this a weekly event now. Much fun.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #674
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Doggie and I had an abbreviated walk because the mist started getting heavier and he hates walking in the rain.
The same thing with me and our pooch this morning. He was less than enthusiastic when we started out and became even less so as we got out of sight of the house. Since I'm not a fan of taking the dog for a drag, we came home.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #675
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That's a lot of tomatoes. We have one cherry tomato plant and we're getting them faster than we can eat them.

Yes.
Yes*2

Today I groomed our Shih Tzu mix. I have never groomed anything; okay I ran clippers all over my head big deal! I had no idea how to start other than watching a utube which I did. Holy crap there is a lot to cut on a little dog I prefer taking her to the groomer. Our groomer passed away recently not covid related so I may have a new job.

Tomorrow I'm planning on cutting our old mean Maltese. I still have a bite he gave me 10 days ago cause I woke him up. Hoping he's not used to biting the groomer cause that is me.

Made red beans and rice for dinner. I just pulled a pan of cornbread out of the oven. It's a good recipe for higher altitude.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #676
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

We'll only grow 24, I have that many tomato cages, and they'll go into 2, 4 x 15 raised beds. I'll keep the best and give away the rest. Same as the harvest, we are only two people, lol. This years crop of tomatoes will be Cherokee purples, bodacious, and super sauce.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #677

The new washing machine came out of quarantine today. Moved it from the garage into the laundry closet. Got it set up and working. I don't have electricity for the dryer so we put up a retractable clothes line in the front yard. One end of the clothes line is clamped to the front deck and the other is attached to the front bucket on the tractor. It works pretty well. DS washed one load and I washed one load. The washer was very quiet so I think I will like it. I don't have any drywall in the house yet, so it is way too early for a washer, but it will work during our isolation time. I certainly do not want to visit the local laundromat right now.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #678
Give me a forum ...

This mornig checked my Crabapple tree. Soon to fully bloom. The view from my desk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crabtree.jpg (584.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #679
Give me a forum ...

ls99 so beautiful...thanks for sharing!
-----------------------------------

To stay in shape and improve my 'tude, I've been dancing. However, dancing doesn't feel structured to me, so I've returned to jogging with arm lifts. Yesterday I jogged one mile. Didn't sweat one drop. Today I did two miles. Heh, that got me several drops. Whew. Kinda tough, but it feels good.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #680

Watched a bunch of youtube tutorials on Adobe's Premiere Elements, a video editing program. I bought that one because I'm familiar with Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop and hoped that the interface and at least some of the basic ideas/implementations would be similar, thus making it easier for me to learn. It doesn't seem to be working out that way but it is interesting nonetheless. For the first time yesterday and today we (me and DW) made, edited, and posted a very short video on Facebook wishing an elderly relative a happy birthday. I'm 70, so she's REALLY old!

I've ordered a book on Premier Elements from Amazon but for some reason it won't be here for another week despite it being included in Prime. I guess they're still really swamped there. I prefer instructional books over videos because I've found I learn software better with a book in one hand and the keyboard in the other.