Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #681

Our prayer shawl group met by ZOOM this morning. A friend's father died yesterday in Illinois - although he had been in serious decline due to dementia, he had rallied a bit in recent days. I went over and picked up two prayer shawls at the church (it's closed but I have a key due to some of my volunteer responsibilities) and took them to her house (one for her and one for her to send to her mother). She didn't come out when I texted her so I left them on her porch. Turns out her cell phone died and she didn't see it on her iPad right away. She's pretty devastated not to be able to travel to grieve with her mother and brother.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #682
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
She's pretty devastated not to be able to travel to grieve with her mother and brother.
Sadly, situations like this are playing out in untold numbers every day. It's truly tragic.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #683
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Got a few R/C flights with the Turbo Timber in the back yard before the wind picked up too much, and by then my fingers were starting to get cold anyway. This airplane is fun; near-vertical climb, and with full flaps it can make a very steep approach without gaining too much speed to land so it's a good fit for my back yard flying. I'm eyeballing the new Citation but I'm not sure that one will fare so well with the short field that I have. But at least it's a private jet that is within my budget.
^Truncated

I have been looking into drones to play around with in my down time and to my dismay I am in FAA restricted airspace 0 feet. I can't believe I can't even fly one to the hight of my house.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #684

Quote:
Watched a bunch of youtube tutorials on Adobe's Premiere Elements, a video editing program. I bought that one because I'm familiar with Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop and hoped that the interface and at least some of the basic ideas/implementations would be similar, thus making it easier for me to learn. It doesn't seem to be working out that way

I use PE also. Very powerful, but very painful to learn. I have to tell myself I am going to sit down at the PC for as long as it takes to learn ONE THING sometimes. I spent 3 hours figuring out drifting text/credits. Once you get it, it makes sense. But wow..... time spent!!!
Old 04-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #685
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had my first telehealth dr appt today. No software hiccups so went well. But will have to drop by the lab next week for some blood work. Would rather not do that but I will wear my mask and gloves. Wore my mask for the first time today to the grocery store. I needed just a few items so didn't care to pay fees for home delivery. The employees wore them but only 40% or so of the customers did which surprised me.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #686
Give me a forum ...

Lazy day by our standards.
Grocery and new pillow shopping this morning.
30 minutes of house chores.
Lazy internet time.
Now on the spin bike shooting for an hour workout.
Will watch the NFL draft tonight.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #687

Played ping pong with my kids. I enjoyed it more than the Monopoly tournament we had earlier this week. I like ping pong, I hate Monopoly.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #688
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Played ping pong with my kids. I enjoyed it more than the Monopoly tournament we had earlier this week. I like ping pong, I hate Monopoly.
Every Monopoly game I ever played always seemed to end due to boredom more than anything else.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Every Monopoly game I ever played always seemed to end due to boredom more than anything else. [emoji23]
My kids (13 and 16) are sharks. Our games end in bankruptcy.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:57 PM   #690

I refunded some Ebay buyers rather than resending their items, and I removed all my listings (about 8). I don't know whether the USPS is just slow or if my letters were rejected because of thickness or what, but I did some research and some people in my area aren't receiving their mail. If the letters are returned to sender I'll know what the issue is and I'll correct it and re-open shop.

And yes, I already know the applicable postal regulations but I play by however they interpret and enforce their rules. If they had an official thickness gauge I'd use it.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:03 PM   #691

Went to two nurseries in the middle of the afternoon. Spent about 45 and 60 minutes there, respectively. Was 86 degrees F at the first nursery, peaking at 89 degree F at the second nursery. Despite wearing my make-shift mask (less than half of customers wore masks; almost none of the nursery and plant delivery workers wore masks; no requirement to do so here), it was still an enjoyable day in the sun.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #692
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
This morning, I skidded about 15 dead/down trees (all about 45' tall, and 6'-18' thick) nearly a 1/4 mile, out of our creek bank into an open area near the road, where I can cut to stove length (18"-20") when convenient. I can get to these downed trees even if it gets muddy, or the farmer starts planting.

This computes out to about 2 months worth of firewood for my farmhouse that I can use this upcoming Winter.

This afternoon, I re-dug our French drain that runs the length of our 104x60 indoor riding arena so future rains will drain away, and not flood one end of our barn.
Yesterday, I skidded another 10 trees up to my staging spot.

Today, my DW, and I hung rafters, and purlins on our new 10x16 greenhouse working almost through our second box of 450 2.5" exterior screws.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #693
Give me a forum ...

Hiking in the morning came home washed truck and then went to ranch and fished till suset.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #694
Recycles dryer sheets

I stumbled while walking in the woods on my property on an old barbed wire fence that had fallen some time in the past. I knew it was there, I've lived here 8 years, but not the extent. Then I spent 2-3 hours pulling old barbed wire by hand. It was too thick to use my tractor or truck. Quite a job, some had grown into trees, most was under forest debris. I removed about 300 feet (times 4 strands) of the nasty rusty wire. I must have a dozen holes in my thick leather gloves, lol.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #695
Administrator

Spent several hours this morning edging my sidewalks and driveway. It is tedious, back-breaking work. I need a rest now.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #696
Give me a forum ...

I thought about doing my taxes, replacing the leaky flapper in the toilet, organizing the garage, trimming some trees and laying down some mulch. That exhausted me, so I laid down on the couch and read a book instead.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #697
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I've ordered a book on Premier Elements
I used the Adobe Classroom in a Book documents many years ago, and they were excellent.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #698

I'm sitting here "doing laundry". This is the first time I have had a washing machine in 6 or 7 years. It has been a pain to take the clothes to the laundramat, but it was nice to have them all done in 2.5 hours. Now it will be much longer, but I can do other stuff at the same time. I will have to hang the clothes up to dry. I got a dryer too, but don't have electrical outlet to plug it into yet.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #699
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm sitting here "doing laundry". This is the first time I have had a washing machine in 6 or 7 years. It has been a pain to take the clothes to the laundramat, but it was nice to have them all done in 2.5 hours. Now it will be much longer, but I can do other stuff at the same time. I will have to hang the clothes up to dry. I got a dryer too, but don't have electrical outlet to plug it into yet.

That sounds like a huge improvement!

... and, as a bonus, is a contribution to social distancing.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #700
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Spent a couple of hours this morning going through assorted partial boxes of nails and screws, sorting and placing them into organizers similar to this: Portable Storage Organizer Box

I've had the organizers for several years (gifts from the kids) but been too lazy could never find the time to put them into use before now. I still have several more hours ahead of me to go through all the nuts, bolts, washers, and other assorted small junk.

I'm pretty sure this is one of the classic symptoms of quarantinitus...