Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #701
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I planted some of the early stuff in garden today.........lettuce, kale, spinach, collards, Swiss chard, and onion sets. Felt good to get out there and get the garden started. I may plant carrots and a few other things tomorrow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #702

Learned some more about Premiere Elements. Yesterday/today I learned about key frames and how useful they are, and how to lower the sound in a soundtrack so the viewer doesn't have to, such as when a loud machine is running for a short period of time. Also how to crop and rotate a video.

A lot of this stuff does translate well from still photography that I've been doing for years, such as lighting and setting the white balance. It's still a steep learning curve though.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #703
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took a couple loaves of DW's fresh sourdough bread over to the youngest granddaughters...warm sunny day.....socially distanced in the back yard.

Noticed a lot more people on the streets...perhaps getting complacent....imagined the viruses rubbing their little 'hands' and chortling "Come out, come out, wherever you are".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #704
Give me a forum ...

A first and a last.
First time this season kayaking, early this morning was about 45F and smooth water and lots of fog.

Last day for my Crabapple tree's flowers, tomorrow and next day's rain and wind will make them disappear.
Today's view:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0130[1].jpg (1.13 MB, 48 views)
Old 04-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #705

I worked out, traded plants with a friend, and planted my newly acquired treasures in the garden. Then we headed to the river camp. The water is up again, but not coming up much further- it won't come in the camp. We got a bit wet coming in but our camp is an island and dry as long as you stay on the pier. We had such a good time we drove (through the water) to a grocery store, bought steaks (they were delicious) and prepared to spend the night. Bout to watch the sunset. Even if it isn't a spectacular one, it's been a good day.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #706

6-7 mile hike from our front door into the canyon nearby on a bright blue, sunny day. A little guitar time. Hunted for golf balls off the backyard. Found 6 in a couple minutes. Chatted up the neighbor. Texted with our friends in Arizona. Made salad. Have Jake Shimabukuro on Pandora. Opening a bottle of wine, renting a movie On Demand.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #707

Spent most of the day disagreeing with DW about the shrubs we had a landscaper plant for us in our front yard a few weeks ago. DW is certain we got the right plants. I'm almost as certain we did not (Leucophyllum langmaniae 'Lynn's Legacy'). There are several others of the Leucophyllum group that are close but are not the same as Lynn's Legacy.

The first flowers came out today, and the colors aren't even close to what the photos show. DW thinks they are. Didn't help that the landscaper showed up real early in the morning when he planted them, all without knocking on our door just to let us know they would be on the property.

Wonderful times.
What did you do today? - 2020 version
Old 04-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #708
Give me a forum ...

What did you do today? - 2020 version

Made a pizza. IMG_0263.jpg
Old 04-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #709
Give me a forum ...

Screwed up my courage and cut my own hair with my son's beard trimmer. Very short. This will take getting used to. On the plus side, I did save 20 bucks.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:25 PM   #710

Hiking and fishing. It was a beautiful spring day.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:23 AM   #711
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Spent most of the day disagreeing with DW about the shrubs we had a landscaper plant for us in our front yard a few weeks ago. DW is certain we got the right plants. I'm almost as certain we did not (Leucophyllum langmaniae 'Lynn's Legacy'). There are several others of the Leucophyllum group that are close but are not the same as Lynn's Legacy.

The first flowers came out today, and the colors aren't even close to what the photos show. DW thinks they are. Didn't help that the landscaper showed up real early in the morning when he planted them, all without knocking on our door just to let us know they would be on the property.

Wonderful times.
This is how I deal with that type of situation - Is the young wife happy with it? Yes? Then I'm happy with it.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:55 AM   #712

Listened to my oldest vent about his troubles with (at the controls) basic flight training while my youngest (finished his license last summer, ~150 hours) rolled his eyes in the background.

Funny thing is the oldest will only get ~15 hours in the air (just to the point he can solo) before moving on to the next phase of flight school.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #713
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco run hopefully won't need to go again for a loooong time. No line going in-- 4 long lines to check out,but plenty of paper products today,so we are good to go.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #714

Shampooed the family room couch and sections of the more heavily traveled carpeted areas today. Off and on rain, plus being a weekend, means we're not going anywhere. Planing a Tuesday grocery run (give 'em a day after the weekend to restock, I hope).
Old 04-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #715
Administrator

Got up early today and went out to rake up all the little pieces of turf I generated while edging my walks and driveway yesterday. Then put down some more mulch in the flower beds. Then it started raining, so I came in.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #716

DW was getting cabin fever, so we took a drive from Ventura County up to Santa Barbara County to the town of Carpenteria. The beaches were open, but beach parking was closed.
That did not stop a lot of people from parking a mile away. A lot of people did not have masks or practiced social distancing. Apparently the police or park patrol is going to enforce it. It was kind of nice, though to see people out and about.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:42 PM   #717
Moderator Emeritus

Morning walk. Sawed up a couple of fallen trees. Removed a stump via manual labor. Too much work. Using stump removal granules to take out the remaining 3. Putzed around in my workshop for a few hours doing nothing.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #718

we're still stuck in our motor home for the next couple of weeks (heading home this week..yay!). but...today i got to do laundry, pick up dinner and an Rx for my wife AND as a bonus i dumped the waste tanks! whew...i'm bushed.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 04-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #719

Banged my head on a wall trying to navigate threads with some cantankerous participants.
I think I will take a break from posting for awhile. Too many more important things coming up like retirement on 7/10/20.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #720

Learned how to solve a Rubik's cube (3x3). Watched a few youtube videos and got the necessary instruction and then went about memorizing it. Needed to combine the steps from two different videos. One helped for the first two rows but sucked for the final row. The other video only had the final row and was much easier to follow. Now I'm a genius and can solve it without following along. Not as difficult as some of the harder Sudoku puzzles but a good little mental exercise for the past couple days. And, it impresses the grand kids.