Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I didn't know about that page either!

Interestingly, my most downloaded image was just a screenshot showing the performance of a mutual fund. Over 600 people thought it was worth saving, for reasons I can't possibly fathom.
Same here, no real logic I can see to justify my most downloaded pic.

Makes me wonder about the definition of "downloaded" in this context. Does it mean someone saved the image or does it refer to the act of clicking on the pic to enlarge it for a better view?

My money is on the latter.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Makes me wonder about the definition of "downloaded" in this context. Does it mean someone saved the image or does it refer to the act of clicking on the pic to enlarge it for a better view?

That certainly makes sense, although my second most "downloaded" one was a photo that seemed plenty big enough as it was. Who knows?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #763

Quote:
Who knows?
The Shadow knows...and so does Janet H.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #764
Administrator

Quote:

It’s the latter for sure.
Quote:
That certainly makes sense, although my second most "downloaded" one was a photo that seemed plenty big enough as it was. Who knows?
Could be a testament to the declining eyesight of many Forum members.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #765

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Could be a testament to the declining eyesight of many Forum members.
I just don't see it.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #766
Administrator

Quote:
I just don't see it.
Apparently many of us don’t.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #767
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just don't see it.
Braille does not work either. Can't find the dimples.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:24 AM   #768
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been banging my head against the wall for the last day because my trusty old Nikon D90 camera finally died. It has served me extremely well for 11 years but just won't do some simple things any more. Some online research showed that my problem is not uncommon for units about as old as mine, and the Nikon documentation is silent on the error codes. That told me it was probably not fixable. What especially hurt is that I recently bought a couple of new lenses for it.

So DW told me to have a very good beer and then get a new camera.

I ordered a new model Nikon that can use the same excellent lenses I have, so that was good. There will be a bit of a learning curve for the new bells and whistles, but I can handle that.

Then I went into "the archives" and found a 22 oz. bottle of Alaskan Smoked Porter, 2011 vintage. Never had one that old before, but it was absolutely excellent! For the beer geeks in the crowd, the smoky character of this wonderful beer changes all the time, and was still present here, although quite subdued. Still had decent carbonation, and just a delightful experience. Alas, it was the last of my stash so I'll have to head west one of these days to get more.
What model did you get? Last Nov. I got a D850 and it's awesome. I posted a shot a page back.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:30 AM   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
What model did you get? Last Nov. I got a D850 and it's awesome. I posted a shot a page back.
I didn't go quite that high end -- D500. Lighter weight, and not that much different in capabilities.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #770
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful sunny afternoon....went for a walk.

Our Amazon 'Leper Handbells', ("Unclean, Unclean"), have not yet arrived, so I carried a cane, and with it held vertically, plus a horizontal forefinger, did the Van Helsing anti-vampire gesture to passersby.

Arrived home without incident........oh, oh...I can't see my shadow!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #771

Shampooed two stuffed chairs, a hall rug, the living room couch, and the living room rug. My back hurts again. I'm taking tomorrow off.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #772
Full time employment: Posting here.

I started reading a old favorite this evening - "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" a nonfiction book by Tom Wolfe. I read it originally back in '69 while in grad school at University of Houston. I lived in the Montrose area of Houston and those were wonderful times. I so wish that Texas was like that now. But - sigh - it is nothing more than a memory of the past.

When I finish it I plan on moving on to the Carlos Castaneda Trilogy and explore the Don Juan adventures and that will also bring back old memories. My only experience with "Mescalito" with a fellow student who was an member of the Native American Church. I think it changed my life.

At age 70, I enjoy looking back at the good ole days that shaped my adulthood.

Peace and Love!
What did you do today? - 2020 version
Old 05-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #773
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? - 2020 version

Had to make an emergency trip to get DW an anniversary card, then woodworking and harvested another hiking stick from a downed branch, a bike ride and the first time fishing in the kayak.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #774
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems my gardening struggles continue during this COVID-19 era. The latest was the completion of adding the new plants in the 7' round shrub bed shared with our neighbor. It also happens to be the location of the above-ground utility boxes/tubes common here in central Texas. Honestly, they're an eyesore.

Picked up the last of the perennials this morning that were ordered online. Got all of them planted and watered. Decided to make a quick trip to pick up a rose shrub that needed to be replaced toward the front of the house. Our landscaper/lawn service decided to put weed block around the previous rose shrub despite my instructions not to do so. When they did, they cracked the shrub at the bud union. I didn't catch this for a couple of weeks. I did mention gardening struggles, didn't I?

When I returned 20 minutes later, Suddenlink had arrived to install the fiber optic cable into the ground for our new next door neighbors. Unfortunately, the above-ground broadband tube is on our side of this 7' shrub bed. Why the house builders can put these things close to the property line is beyond me.

Anyway, I noticed one of the perennials I had just planted an hour earlier had a branch going horizontal to the ground. Yep, the Suddenlink installer had damaged one of four main stalks/branches on that perennial. There was a little bit more plant damage besides that. But what set me off was the trench that was channeled through the shrub bed by the Suddenlink installer preparing to bury the fiber optic cable:

The fiber optic cable in the photo is in between two of the newly planted perennials. At the top of photo you can see the edge of the above-ground broadband utility tube. And just to the left of the plant on the right is the trench the Suddenlink installer dug during the 20 minutes I was away from the house. This angle doesn't completely show it, but the trench was dug right next to the root ball of the plant on the right. Note that these plants were about 22-24" apart, center to center. AAAARRRGGGH!!!
Old 05-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #775

Looked out my window a few minutes ago and saw this roosting on my deck railing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey vulture.JPG (31.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #776
Administrator

I have been smoking a pork butt all afternoon, after having brined it overnight. The young wife has baked some sourdough rolls and made the sauce and the slaw, and we're having pulled pork sandwiches in very short order.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have been smoking a pork butt all afternoon, after having brined it overnight. The young wife has baked some sourdough rolls and made the sauce and the slaw, and we're having pulled pork sandwiches in very short order.
One of my favorite meals, but with just the two of us I don't cook a butt very often. But I just took two racks of baby back ribs off the BGE and that's always a treat.

I also got my new camera delivered today so I'll have lots of fun learning all the bells and whistles on it.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #778
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Looked out my window a few minutes ago and saw this roosting on my deck railing...
Take your temperature.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #779
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Look alive or you might be his next meal. Lol
Old 05-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #780
Give me a forum ...

Went to ranch early this morning and fished then had lunch up at the line shack. After lunch I did some prep work for planting trees next Saturday. Will be planting 20 Juneberry trees along a crick. I also mowed and dug the holes and did other odds and ends around the ranch.
Home and took a bike a couple mile bike ride.
Closed Thread