Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the past week, learned of the death of an old friend of prostate cancer at 88.

We went to Mexico for January to look around. Weather is outta sight! Staying in a 30's-era motel in the campo which is just one step above camping in a tent. Cheap enough that we can keep it and still visit other places for a few days.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #62

Went to the gym just as the snow began falling. Convinced DW we weren't going to die in a blizzard and finished the workouts.

Went home, ate lunch, took a nap, then cleared about two inches of wet slushy snow off the driveway & walk. Glad I spent the money on a snow blower or my back would be in serious pain by now.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Went for morning walk. Dental checkup. Foot Dr. checkup- Got a cortisone shot in my big toe. Went to REI and bought hiking shoes that foot dr recommended. Moved MIL to our house while her place is getting new flooring and appliances.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took care of some planning for AARP tax training, played pickleball, and got my second Shingrix shot.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Took care of some planning for AARP tax training, played pickleball, and got my second Shingrix shot.
Take care of yourself. The young wife got her second shot on Saturday and it really knocked her out all day Sunday.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Dropped off stuff at consignment shop. At least get some $ out of unneeded stuff. Slowly working on downsizing.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Replaced the battery in my 2015 BMW R1200RT with a LiFePO4 model. About 5 pounds lighter and a lot more capacity for less than twice the cost of lead acid. Old battery required 2 comebacks from sulfation and with the 5 years of age I'm not gonna chance it dying on me out somewhere remote.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #68

I just quit my last PT retirement job!!
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday I started using the weight lifting machines at the gym again, like I used to do before my knee issues and resulting severe mobility problems. Knee replacement surgery has helped and it has been almost five months since that surgery so I am getting around pretty well by now. My knee can now handle the leg extension and leg curl machines without any adverse consequences whatsoever, which is quite pleasing.

I did just 7 of the machines yesterday instead of my former 28, since I am just starting to get back into weight lifting. But today I feel like a million bux, twenty years younger. My weight is down and so is my blood sugar. I know that weight machines don't do this for everyone but for some unknown reason it seems I was just made for this kind of workout. Not only that, but I love doing it and look forward to my next weight lifting session. Look out world! Here I come, I may be 71 years old but I'm not done with, yet.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Doing some chainsaw work - a tree fell across our new path on the property. This is a two-person job, as I don't chainsaw by myself anymore.

Hanging a new swiveling arm/hook to hang a bird feeder so it is closer to a window and hopefully will confound the tree rats (squirrels).
Old 01-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Take care of yourself. The young wife got her second shot on Saturday and it really knocked her out all day Sunday.

The shot was Tuesday afternoon. I felt fine that night and Wednesday morning. Played pickleball and did my normal stuff all day Wednesday until late afternoon, when I had a headaches and couldn’t get warm. Hot tea, comfort food for dinner, Tylenol and early to bed did the trick. I feel fine today except for the sore arm. ‘Tis only a flesh wound.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #72

Had some fairly nasty surgery last Friday and today was the first day that the pain level was low enough I haven't had to take anything for it. Very happy camper here!
Old 01-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Had some fairly nasty surgery last Friday and today was the first day that the pain level was low enough I haven't had to take anything for it. Very happy camper here!
Glad you are feeling better !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Hope your recovery is rapid and pain free from now ..
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #75
Administrator

We have an ongoing address issue which just got bigger. Our house and street number are the same as another home in our HOA, only they are “road” while ours is “street”. We get lots of their mail, including one letter that was redelivered to us 7 times.

Yesterday a gardening / pest control company came by, sprayed our front lawn and left an invoice. Wrong address - they wanted “road”, not “street”. A long conversation this morning with that company until they finally gave me the names of the chemicals.

I called our gardening / pest control folks and updated them, they’ll have to change their schedule with us to avoid over spraying.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We have an ongoing address issue which just got bigger. Our house and street number are the same as another home in our HOA, only they are “road” while ours is “street”. We get lots of their mail, including one letter that was redelivered to us 7 times.
Similar thing at our last house. The local mail carrier was worthless, and UPS and FedEx weren't much better, so we both got in the habit of just going to the other's house and dropping off mail and packages. After a couple of years we got to be good friends!

Hard to believe the local planning agency couldn't do a better job of monitoring street names when they're being built.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today I purged my remaining winter suits. I can't remember the last time I wore a ladies' winter suit, whether with skirt or pants. I had come to think of skirts in winter as ridiculous, unless they were long enough to go over boots, which is not particularly fashionable right now. The concept in winter of having bare or pantyhosed legs while covered up in long sleeves and a lined suit jacket on top seemed unbalanced and ineffective. And, I disposed of the lined, winter suit pants (dry clean only) also. I'll never wear them again. If I need a suit (highly unlikely) I'll buy something that isn't 20 years old. Also let go a boiled wool double-breasted jacket with silver buttons. The Oktoberfest look.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #78

We watched dolphins in the bay this morning, then drove an hour to Charleston and spent over 4 hours walking around.

When we came back I immediately had a nap.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Went to Hip surgeon yesterday for 6+ week follow up. All is good and I can do anything I did before the implant. Next check and xray is one year from now.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Yesterday a gardening / pest control company came by, sprayed our front lawn and left an invoice. Wrong address - they wanted “road”, not “street”. A long conversation this morning with that company until they finally gave me the names of the chemicals.

I called our gardening / pest control folks and updated them, they’ll have to change their schedule with us to avoid over spraying.

I’m surprised the local government allowed two identically named roads/streets. It could be a dangerous situation if EMS is needed at 123 Road but arrive at 123 Street.

About ten years ago our community had to rename two streets as part of a county-wide initiative to be 911 “compliant”