Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #821
Recycles dryer sheets

Ive been teaching a sixty something year old cancer surviver to grow her own medicine. She bought a grow tent, lights, fans and what not. Today I gave her four plants.

By this evening I must have got 5 texts from her. It seems I'm not he best teacher or she has the memory of a gnat, probably me, lol.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #822
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to HD after doing some wine work, to get a water heater. Our present 6 year warranty was up 4 years ago, the power vent on the unit has a bearing squealing like a Banshee Indian, and there is no grease zerk to lube. New tank was $1079 plus tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF I used to sell a 40 gallon tank for $149 back in late '70's. Must be lined with gold or titanium now. Installation will begin tomorrow after breakfast.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I'm just totally amazed she wants to mow the lawn! I have never operated a power mower in my entire life and have no interest in ever doing it. They've always scared the c**p out of me. Once DH couldn't do it any more, it's been the lawn service for us.
We have an 93 year old BILLIONAIRE in our neighborhood that still cuts several acres with her Cub Cadet riding mower every week. She is out every week cutting her acreage, and we laugh/chuckle/admire when we see her out weeding with the landscaping crew in her yard. She is a remarkable woman, and was the loving partner of a soft drink bottler who sold the family business a year before he died in 1999. She has donated millions to local schools and hospitals, but you can always see her, cutting her acreage every week. Idle hands and mind are the Devil's workshop, God bless her.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:56 AM   #824
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a home that sits on 46 acres in middle Tennessee.
Sight unseen.
During a pandemic.
Driving today to see it. Inspections are Friday. ��
Old 05-07-2020, 05:58 AM   #825
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
World biggest face palm. Get a church wide email Monday afternoon announcing the granddaughter of a church member had died. 31 years old with a young son, severe diabetic and diabetic complications were the problem.

I'm friendly with GM serve on several church committees with her. Immediately start messaging expressing my sympathy, sorry for your loss and praying for you type stuff. GM answers back saying how hard it is and what a loss and normal expressions of grief.

One hour ago I get another church email saying, wait she is not dead. They unplugged her Monday and thought she would pass but she didn't and is at home under hospice care and not expected to recover.

So for 48 hours everyone in church thought she had passed away. What do I do now? I can't undo my previous messages and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who sent condolences.

I don't understand how this miscommunication even happened
You arenít the one who needs to do anything. You sent proper condolences based on incorrect info.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #826

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Sight unseen.
During a pandemic.
Wow. Well played.

What part of middle TN, if I may be so bold as to ask?
Old 05-07-2020, 07:08 AM   #827
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Sight unseen.
During a pandemic.
This post is useless without pictures.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #828
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Wow. Well played.

What part of middle TN, if I may be so bold as to ask?
Around the Murfreesboro area.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #829
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This post is useless without pictures.
Good point. The only photos that I have are the ones used in the listing, so once I get some that were not taken by another party I will post for sure!!
Old 05-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #830
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Canadian Forces Snowbirds just flew right over our house at low level......exactly over our place! Pretty neat!

https://globalnews.ca/news/6916856/s...riday-morning/

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #831
Moderator Emeritus

Today we got take-out grilled chicken po'boys from a restaurant around the corner that has been making po'boys served on toasted fresh French bread, for over 50 years. Theirs are some of the best!

We didn't dare do this until today. Po'boys are well cooked but the lettuce and tomato in them isn't cooked. However Louisiana's numbers have been pretty good lately so we are getting braver. After two months of stay-at-home, this was worth the (very slight) risk.

We have an 80% chance of severe thunderstorms this afternoon, but we are staying home as always so that shouldn't be a problem. My laundry just finished so once I put it away, I'll while away the afternoon playing Animal Crossing, New Horizons, my new favorite video game (on battery power if necessary!).
Old 05-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #832

Dropped off the old dehumidifier and some used motor oil at the recycling place, then on to a grocery run. It's worse than normal now, more crowded than usual at that time of day (10:30 AM). I'll make it a point to go earlier than that in the future. I saw no sign of meat shortages, and even scored the next-to-last package of Charmin! The paper products isle is still pretty bare though.

The dentist's office called at 9:07 returning DW's call, and she was in there by 10:00 and came out with a new temporary crown. It seems the dental office has to contact the insurance co. first to get approval before the permanent one can be placed, and I thought they had to be ordered anyway. Maybe not anymore? But she has no pain and is getting set up for a permanent fix which is all that matters now.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #833
Give me a forum ...

Watched the Air Force flyover of local communities.

Two huge aircraft (Tankers maybe?) flew low over my neighborhood making a wonderful roar in the process.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #834
Give me a forum ...

Finally got the snow tires/summer tires switched.

Went for two good walks.

Then....we both agreed that sequestration is becoming a PITA and that we want to GO somewhere........and that, Heaven forfend, if we were stuck inside with someone we really didn't care to be with, (as I suspect numerous people 'out there' are), we'd be freakin' nuts by now.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #835
Moderator Emeritus

Changed the oil and filter in the van and planted a flowering bush in the front yard. Walked the dog a few times in between all that.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #836

completed the final leg of our trip home from AZ. nice to be home.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 05-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #837
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
[...]
Then....we both agreed that sequestration is becoming a PITA and that we want to GO somewhere........and that, Heaven forfend, if we were stuck inside with someone we really didn't care to be with, (as I suspect numerous people 'out there' are), we'd be freakin' nuts by now.
Frank and I feel the same way! We don't yearn to travel, but we just want to drive around aimlessly, go window shopping, go to the gym (once it re-opens), or whatever we want. We feel almost like prison inmates.

We are lucky that we live next door to each other. We are here for each other when one of us needs some support or encouragement (usually me ), and then when we need to be alone we do that.

Still, following your line of thought, I think even numerous people who are stuck inside with someone they DO deeply care about and want to be with, are going freakin' nuts by now simply because this is such an awful, stressful situation and because nobody really seems to know if or when life is going to get back to normal. Our lives are on the line with each decision and yet so little is known (yet).
Old 05-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #838

This was a banner day for us. DW came out of her depression with a combination of her inner strength, my support and some light medication.
She put in her makeup and earrings, and drove us to the only local Spudnut store. She had not had one of their donuts since she was a little girl.
Well, a dozen doughnuts in a box later, she was a happy camper. It was the first time since 1 March that she has been in a store.
We also scouted out a parking lot behind a closed mall where she will have a lunch with her girl friends, with physical separation next week.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #839
Give me a forum ...

I made fish tacos for the first time. Marinated tilapia on the charcoal hibachi on a fried corn tortilla with shredded lettuce and a hatch chili sauce topping.

On the forever list now, wifey loved them as much or more than I did.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #840
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Still, following your line of thought, I think even numerous people who are stuck inside with someone they DO deeply care about and want to be with, are going freakin' nuts by now simply because this is such an awful, stressful situation and because nobody really seems to know if or when life is going to get back to normal. Our lives are on the line with each decision and yet so little is known (yet).
I have accepted that my life will not return to my old normal for a very long time . We will start eating out but much less than we used too and only at places we trust . We will not travel for at least nine months and when the gym opens I will be armed with lysol wipes .
Closed Thread