Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #841
Recycles dryer sheets

Robbie,
I love fish tacos, but I've never attempted to make them. You are motivating me to try making them.
Did you make the hatch sauce?
There is a breakfast restaurant near me that applies a heated hatch sauce over several of their meals, and it is great.
Take care, JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I made fish tacos for the first time. Marinated tilapia on the charcoal hibachi on a fried corn tortilla with shredded lettuce and a hatch chili sauce topping.

On the forever list now, wifey loved them as much or more than I did.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #842
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I changed one of the front tires on my recumbent trike before going for a short test ride. It was worn down to the fabric and fortunately I had a spare. Then I moved about 25 concrete blocks to encircle a fig tree in the back yard. Watered the 8 cherry tomato plants. Now my wrist is complaining and wanting me to medicate. Ordered 3 more nice quality bamboo cloth masks that have a place for a filter. That should last me for quite a while once I start going out to places other than the grocery store (and blueberry picking in a couple of weeks). Now it's time for a shower and some time to settle in with a book to read.

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #843
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Robbie,
I love fish tacos, but I've never attempted to make them. You are motivating me to try making them.
Did you make the hatch sauce?
Take care, JP
I gave the fillets a dusting of dry spice (PP's Seafood Magic) a couple hours before grilling. For the sauce I used some Hatch sauce in a jar from the grocery and mixed with a little mayo and added some of the seafood magic spice. The sauce was creamy and added the perfect heat as well as picking up the spice on the fish. The shredded lettuce kept it all in place along side the fillet.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #844
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Watched the Air Force flyover of local communities.

Two huge aircraft (Tankers maybe?) flew low over my neighborhood making a wonderful roar in the process.
I found out they were two C17 Globemasters. While not as impressive as the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, they flew low and are very BIG.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #845
Recycles dryer sheets

Four loads of laundry, dishes, and cleaned out the guest bedroom.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #846

Happy Mother's Day?

It's 11:30am. Everyone is asleep except me (I'm mom). Up at the crack of dawn and made lemon loaf, apple strudel, and the 2 focaccias (rosemary & basil) is finishing the final proofing. Already grocery shopped and getting around to my 2nd cup of coffee. I know they want curry ramen & salad to finish the lunch menu. Think I'll tell the college kid to make it
Old 05-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
new temporary crown. It seems the dental office has to contact the insurance co. first to get approval before the permanent one can be placed, and I thought they had to be ordered anyway. Maybe not anymore? But she has no pain and is getting set up for a permanent fix which is all that matters now.
My dentist just makes it while I wait with a 3D printer. No temporary needed
Old 05-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #848
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Picked up Chinese take out for lunch. First time in more than eight weeks we've eaten a meal we didn't cook at home.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #849
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Picked up Chinese take out for lunch. First time in more than eight weeks we've eaten a meal we didn't cook at home.
We got take-out, too. Inspired by your post, I just got out my records and counted: It turns out that we have had take-out or delivery 23 times in the eight and a half weeks since we started sheltering in place, from three different restaurants.

That's a little embarrassing but on the bright side, it looks like our favorite little restaurant may survive this. When we got our take-out today, there were SIX other cars there picking up take-out. Usually there's none, or maybe one.

We got the same steaming hot shrimp pasta alfredo I have mentioned before, made with lots of fresh, huge Louisiana shrimp and enough Cajun spices to bring tears to your eyes (which is our preference). Yum.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #850
Moderator Emeritus

I put a new battery in my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. It's 4 years old but still is a fine phone. Had to unglue the back cover and disassemble half the phone. But all is good now!

DW's kids came over for Mother's Day and now we are having pizza!
Old 05-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I put a new battery in my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. It's 4 years old but still is a fine phone. Had to unglue the back cover and disassemble half the phone. But all is good now!
Our Samsung Galaxy S5 Actives have user-replaceable batteries, and they really would benefit from some new batteries. We purchased them as new old stock about three years ago, so it sounds about the right time for a replacement.

Unfortunately, the stock battery replacements may be approaching the age of when these phones were released six years ago. People complain about getting a "new" battery, only to find it doesn't hold a charge as well as their older, less than 100% healthy battery. Probably been sitting in storage for too long. And the 3rd party batteries seem to be a huge hit and miss with them, mostly a miss.

As it is, the S5 Actives are stuck at Android 6, as the chipset can't be upgraded beyond that. In addition, AT&T has refused to provide the patch for BlueBorne. It's listed on Android's site, but AT&T won't filter it through to owners. Thankfully, we don't use our phones for logging into *any* online personal account, nor are they used for wireless payment.

AT&T is probably trying to force users like us to upgrade to a new phone through them and more expensive service. We'll likely find a different phone with a different service provider before we do that. Sounds like I have my "What did you do today" entry coming soon.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #852
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R, I make a meal with fresh shrimp, tomatoe, onions, peppers, garlic, lemon and a bunch of spices, including cajun seasoning, over linguine.

It is close to addicting, it is so good.

I visited some friends in golf shores Alabama, and we went to the fresh fish market where the fishermen dock their boats. That market was selling beautiful freshly caught shrimp for something like $7/lb.

I double up on the shrimp that meal, and it was a big hit with everyone there.

I might have to try an alfredo variation per you favorite restaurant. If you have a recipe, or can describe the ingredients, please post it.

Take care, JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We got take-out, too. Inspired by your post, I just got out my records and counted: It turns out that we have had take-out or delivery 23 times in the eight and a half weeks since we started sheltering in place, from three different restaurants.

That's a little embarrassing but on the bright side, it looks like our favorite little restaurant may survive this. When we got our take-out today, there were SIX other cars there picking up take-out. Usually there's none, or maybe one.

We got the same steaming hot shrimp pasta alfredo I have mentioned before, made with lots of fresh, huge Louisiana shrimp and enough Cajun spices to bring tears to your eyes (which is our preference). Yum.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #853
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Our Samsung Galaxy S5 Actives have user-replaceable batteries, and they really would benefit from some new batteries. We purchased them as new old stock about three years ago, so it sounds about the right time for a replacement.

Unfortunately, the stock battery replacements may be approaching the age of when these phones were released six years ago. People complain about getting a "new" battery, only to find it doesn't hold a charge as well as their older, less than 100% healthy battery. Probably been sitting in storage for too long. And the 3rd party batteries seem to be a huge hit and miss with them, mostly a miss.

As it is, the S5 Actives are stuck at Android 6, as the chipset can't be upgraded beyond that. In addition, AT&T has refused to provide the patch for BlueBorne. It's listed on Android's site, but AT&T won't filter it through to owners. Thankfully, we don't use our phones for logging into *any* online personal account, nor are they used for wireless payment.

AT&T is probably trying to force users like us to upgrade to a new phone through them and more expensive service. We'll likely find a different phone with a different service provider before we do that. Sounds like I have my "What did you do today" entry coming soon.
Yeah, they definitely try to get users to buy new phones. My S7 is running Android 9.0 so it's good to go for awhile.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #854

The Circuit of the Americas racetrack in Austin held a "Food Drive" today. Drive into the garages, drop off canned goods or cash for the local food bank, and then drive your car around the 2.4 mile track. 20mph speed limit, but was more like 10mph most of the way. Gorgeous spring day and I had nothing else to do so I went back and got in line again for a second trip around. Really fun to drive around the track, even that slowly. I've seen a couple of races there so it was a very interesting change of perspective.

DD and DS each called for Mother's Day (I actually FaceTimed with DS while driving around the track so he could see it, which was fun). I have placed an order for takeout dinner from a terrific Italian restaurant so it's a very rare no-cooking day for me.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #855
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
The Circuit of the Americas racetrack in Austin held a "Food Drive" today. Drive into the garages, drop off canned goods or cash for the local food bank, and then drive your car around the 2.4 mile track. 20mph speed limit, but was more like 10mph most of the way. Gorgeous spring day and I had nothing else to do so I went back and got in line again for a second trip around. Really fun to drive around the track, even that slowly. I've seen a couple of races there so it was a very interesting change of perspective.
Please tell me you did this in your RV!!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #856
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey now - don't forget to support your local restaurants! (See "Blow That Dough!" )
Old 05-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #857
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Went to HD after doing some wine work, to get a water heater. Our present 6 year warranty was up 4 years ago, the power vent on the unit has a bearing squealing like a Banshee Indian, and there is no grease zerk to lube. New tank was $1079 plus tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF I used to sell a 40 gallon tank for $149 back in late '70's. Must be lined with gold or titanium now. Installation will begin tomorrow after breakfast.
I'm sorry, Winemaker; I wasn't laughing at your situation - I was laughing at the "WTF?? " Yep; that IS quite an increase. I guess I should enter that into the "Pet Peeve of the Day" page - things that increase in price way, WAY faster than the cost of living (e.g., college tuition!).
Old 05-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #858
Give me a forum ...

Went to the grocery store in the morning for some fresh fruit and other pershiable food. A trip down the paper isle had PT, TP, and tissues! Got a 12 pack of 4x TP. I had installed a bidet in one bathroom so our use is down. The store was well stocked and a good amount of meat except pork chops.

Tonight we ordered out from a local pizza place. Last time we did this it was for the Superbowl. That time DW ordered a three meat pizza and added black olive and green pepper. We received a cheese pizza with black olive and green pepper, no meat. I cautioned her when she made the same order today. "Nah, nobody will screw it up twice" she confidently said. I picked up another cheese pizza with black olive and green pepper.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #859
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeisprecious View Post
I'm sorry, Winemaker; I wasn't laughing at your situation - I was laughing at the "WTF?? " Yep; that IS quite an increase. I guess I should enter that into the "Pet Peeve of the Day" page - things that increase in price way, WAY faster than the cost of living (e.g., college tuition!).
I can't comment on Mr. Winemaker's location, but I have had three new tanks put into my place over the years, and everyone requires work over and above removing the old and installing the new tank, due to changes in the plumbing codes. At over $100 and hour, plus parts, it adds up fast.

Today, I opened a bottle of "pun intended' red wine made by the Miscreant Project a local winery. It was part of my wine club membership last month. The wine store is locally owned by a former neighbor of mine. I joined the wine club so as to do my duty to support local merchants during this shutdown of most business.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #860

Thanks for supporting local wineries in these peculiar times. Those who need revenue to pay the need all the help they can get. I'm glad I only volunteer at our local winery.

After breakfast I checked the current stages of fermentation of my Chilean and South African juices, we headed to DD and then to my DM for Mother's Day. DD had baked a cake, and we gave the DM the annual flower. She was so happy. When we left at 4, DB and DS came to broil some steaks on the grill for the holiday. WE dropped DD off, the I fixed DW her latest favorite meal, grilled Spanish octopus, roasted potatoes and cheesy broccoli , washed down with some Grenache from last year. What a great day!