Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 05:21 AM   #861
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Mexican restaurant in town that had just opened in late Jan. We had eaten there quite a bit before the "shelter", and continued to in the mean time. Yesterday afternoon my DD called and ask if we wanted some supper from there as they were at DSnlaw's parents and were coming to us next. We said sure. When they got to the house and started opening the bags,uhohh,5 orders and 3 were wrong. All during the shelter the owner and just a few employees kept it going & it was good. After our state allowed sitdowns to open again he had to hire some new people it seems. Hopefully they will learn fast or they will not survive after all.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #862
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This morning I decided to replenish my meat supply at a local market. As I was leaving, there was a store employee throwing out plants that had been frost damaged and wouldn't sell. He put them in shopping carts and told customers to take anything they wanted for free. I stocked up on flowers and some vegetables to be planted next week. I set them all in a sunny window, added a little water, and a few hours later they were all perked up looking great. So I got my summer garden for free!
Old 05-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #863
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
When they got to the house and started opening the bags,uhohh,5 orders and 3 were wrong. All during the shelter the owner and just a few employees kept it going & it was good. After our state allowed sitdowns to open again he had to hire some new people it seems. Hopefully they will learn fast or they will not survive after all.
DD#2 told me a similar story yesterday.

It appears many of these restaurants had figured out how to do take-out efficiently but when allowed to partially reopen for dining, things fell apart. Some due to new hires not trained properly, others due to trying to add limited capacity sit-down service and continue take-out without adding employees.

The end result is the same - unhappy customers who may not be back, at least for a while.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #864

Some construction is allowed now in our part of PA, so demo started today for our master bath renovation at the main house. It will mean four individuals, two at a time, will be in our house over the next couple of weeks. A slight easing of our "stay away from other people" mode of operation that we've been following since March 14.

I talked to the contractor for a few minutes, reviewing my wishes, then left to come up to the lake house for a few days. I've got tasks to take care of here while DH supervises the renovation. (To be honest, a few days of alone time will be nice and I'm sure DH feels the same).

DH just sent a photo -- the contractor found water damage and a carpenter ant colony behind the tile wall in the old shower. It's just like one of those home improvement shows on HGTV: Oh yuck, we didn't plan for that but it has to be fixed. I just hope the damage is contained to the bathroom and doesn't extend down to the first floor.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #865
Recycles dryer sheets

Would love to figure out how to make this at home! The local Pappadeaux's has a version they call Pasta Mardigras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We got take-out, too. Inspired by your post, I just got out my records and counted: It turns out that we have had take-out or delivery 23 times in the eight and a half weeks since we started sheltering in place, from three different restaurants.

That's a little embarrassing but on the bright side, it looks like our favorite little restaurant may survive this. When we got our take-out today, there were SIX other cars there picking up take-out. Usually there's none, or maybe one.

We got the same steaming hot shrimp pasta alfredo I have mentioned before, made with lots of fresh, huge Louisiana shrimp and enough Cajun spices to bring tears to your eyes (which is our preference). Yum.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #866
Moderator Emeritus

Dug up my septic tank lid for the septic tank pumping guy. Had to disconnect a sprinkler line that is over the lid before opening the lid and reconnected the line after pumping. Then replaced dirt and sod.

Did some kayak mods. Paddle holder to hold the paddle while fishing. And a fishing rod holder.

Making some camera mounts for indoor photography.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #867

Walked out to the curb before sunrise to pick up the morning paper. Saw what looked like an injured, misshapen duck on the lawn. Upon closer inspection, it was two ducks having sex. OK, whatever.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #868
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Walked out to the curb before sunrise to pick up the morning paper. Saw what looked like an injured, misshapen duck on the lawn. Upon closer inspection, it was two ducks having sex. OK, whatever.
technically I think the correct term for that is mating or breeding..
Old 05-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #869
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
"G'day mate, how's it going, awright?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #870
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What did I do today? Looked up "sex" in the dictionary. And for the record: "(chiefly with reference to people) sexual activity, including specifically sexual intercourse."
Old 05-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #871
Administrator

This morning, we took one of our cats for her monthly chemotherapy -- curbside service and consultation with the oncologist by telephone. Later, we ate food we did not prepare in our own house for the first time since March 16th. We stopped at a hot dog place and got takeout, which we ate sitting in the car out at our community garden plot. Then we worked in the garden for a couple hours. It's starting to look organized and ready to grow some nice veggies!
Old 05-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #872
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
What did I do today? Looked up "sex" in the dictionary. And for the record: "(chiefly with reference to people) sexual activity, including specifically sexual intercourse."
Hey don't blame me for that..I didn't make you look...
Old 05-13-2020, 12:53 PM   #873

A nice surprise From TurboTax today. They sent me an email letting me know that the law was changed to retroactively allow credit for the electric vehicle charging station I installed in the garage back in 2018. So I can file an amended return and get $165 back.

The only weird part is that I have to snail mail the amended return instead of e-filing it like the original, but the cost of postage is hardly a deterrent. Looks like TurboTax gets another attaboy, making it well worth what I paid for it (or at least what Fidelity paid for it on my behalf )
Old 05-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #874

Mowed the front, sides, and some of the back yard. I'm thinking of maybe canceling the mowing service since it seems I'm recovering enough to start doing that again. DW says wait a while, so okay, I'll wait a while then cancel it.

Using those carpet sliders from Amazon, we moved all of the bedroom furniture around in preparation for painting. Only the two dressers and the bed are still in there, and those are all in the middle so I can start cutting in on the ceiling. I may do some of that later on this evening. It never fails to surprise me how much dust can accumulate underneath furniture that is too low to get a vacuum cleaner under it.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #875

I got a haircut, by my regular stylist. I feel like a real human being again. I had to call when I pulled into the parking lot, they let me in, less than 1/2 the stylists are working, every other station is empty and they're taking shifts. The salon is open 7 days a week to clear up the backlog. Everyone wore masks. No waxing of anywhere allowed.

I paid her for three haircuts - the one she gave me today, and the two I missed while we under lockdown. She cried. I did too.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
Old 05-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Using those carpet sliders from Amazon, we moved all of the bedroom furniture around in preparation for painting. Only the two dressers and the bed are still in there, and those are all in the middle so I can start cutting in on the ceiling. I may do some of that later on this evening. It never fails to surprise me how much dust can accumulate underneath furniture that is too low to get a vacuum cleaner under it.

I have the same problem. I have a Shark vacuum, and I use carpet sliders to raise two legs of each couch to get the vacuum under the couches.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #877

Our new boat was delivered, and we took a few laps around the lake!! Hoping for visiting friends in the not too distant future to share the pontoon boat with!!
Old 05-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #878

Two coats of paint cutting in on the bedroom ceiling, and one coat rolled. Waiting for that to dry now and then do the second coat.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Not self inflicted?
Old 05-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #880

Had an inspection done on our house today. While probably not the best time for it, the one year anniversary in our new house is the end of the month, and all repair requests for items covered under the one-year warranty portion of the build have to be documented and submitted soon.

The foundation, roof, HVAC, built-in appliances, electrical, and plumbing (except for a kitchen faucet in need of repair or replacement) all look good. Mostly minor issues that should be easy and quick to rectify.
Closed Thread