Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #881
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I picked up 252# of Chilean Syrah grapes at 8:00AM, if I was in Australia or another "marketing district After setting up my equipment, I was able to start destemming/crushing at 9:40. Since I am pretty anal about MOG (material other than grapes) I have my manual crusher/ destemmer rollers opened to the max, so they don't crush very many, and allows me to pick out any leaves, parts of stems (called jacks), insects, if any. At 10:10, a couple of neighbors stopped by to help. After destemming about 108#, I pressed these grapes to get about 6 gallons of pink juice, to make a Syrah Rose'. I dosed it with a touch of sulfite (about 40 parts per million), to prevent browning, kill any mold, bacteria, fungi (and I guess viruses, nowadays) to prevent any off flavors or aromas to come about. The leftover skins and partially crushed grapes from this Rose' were held in reserve. We then destemmed and crushed the remainder of the grapes and divided them into 3 6 gallon buckets. Part of the left over skins were used to top off the 3 buckets after I dosed them with a touch of sufites. Those 3 buckets were stuck in 2 refrigerators after I put Saran wrap on the must and put lids on. The remainder of the skins, about 2 gallons, were then taken to my fermenting tank that I had started yesterday. In the fermenting tank, I had some Barbera juice, which is a bright acidic grape that I think needs a little tannins to round out the flavor in a glass. The Syrah skins will take care of that nicely. It was about 11:30am, after sharing some wine and pulled pork with my 2 helpers, I started cleanig up about 1. After hosing, spitshining, and putting everything away it was 4. After a quick shower, DD, DSIL and GD, came by for weekly meal at 5, where DW fixed Shrimp and Cheesy Grits, washed down with some Chardonnay. Resting now, reading the Forum....with Chardonnay, of course.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What did you do today? - 2020 version
Old 05-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #882

I am suffering from Quarantine Fatigue. Yep. Can't say that on Next Door because I post with my name & street there. And I'm in a smallish town. Today I went to 3 markets (Trader Joe's, 99c Store, and Safeway). I could have done it all at Trader Joes but then I would have had no excuse to go to the other 2. Then I came home and made breakfast. And then the dog and I went for a hike. Now I'm bored again. Hoping we go to Phase 2 soon.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #883
Recycles dryer sheets

Went for a run, went to work, grabbed a 6 pack of beer, sat in the backyard and read a couple chapters of a book, and now I'm grilling some pork chops and making sure my alarm clock is turned off.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #884

Got roped in for some more consulting today. The owner of a local company is having problems and pleaded for help. He's an old friend so I just couldn't say no. First thing I said when we sat down was "To avoid any misunderstanding, I want no compensation for my time. I'm just here to help and I'l do so as long as I can enjoy doing it. Once it starts to feel like a job, I'm out of here."

That usually helps keep the digressions to a minimum and lets me control the process. Honestly, I don't mind doing this stuff, but it felt so strange today with everyone wearing a mask and sitting several feet from each other.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Got roped in for some more consulting today. The owner of a local company is having problems and pleaded for help. He's an old friend so I just couldn't say no. First thing I said when we sat down was "To avoid any misunderstanding, I want no compensation for my time. I'm just here to help and I'l do so as long as I can enjoy doing it. Once it starts to feel like a job, I'm out of here."

That usually helps keep the digressions to a minimum and lets me control the process. Honestly, I don't mind doing this stuff, but it felt so strange today with everyone wearing a mask and sitting several feet from each other.
I'm going to have to remember that line, braumeister! I'll probably look for consulting projects after I retire, since I've been doing it for so long, but that's a great way to approach it.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #886

DW and I did all the cutting in for the paint project in the master bedroom. I did all the walls at the ceiling and anything above shoulder height. Due to her vertigo issue and a shoulder issue she can't be on a ladder or reach high so she did the baseboards, around outlets, and lower door frames. My back issue makes it painful to bend over for more than a moment. We're a pair all right.

Tomorrow is for rolling, I'm going to try out using the pressure roller. The object is not to save time, at best it'll be a wash with the added time for set-up and clean up with the airless sprayer pump. The object is to reduce the number of times I have to bend to reload the roller with paint. Hopefully that will reduce back pain. And most of the cleanup I can do sitting down so that part will be easier.

If nothing else I get to play with a new toy tool.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #887
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I found out they were two C17 Globemasters. While not as impressive as the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, they flew low and are very BIG.
A few years ago I was working in my office and heard a low, loud noise approaching from the south end of the lake. We often get float planes but this was much louder and much more bass. So I went outside just in time to see a V-22 Osprey cruising about 500 yards away at about 500'... going slow with the nacelles at about 60 degrees.

Then a short while later another one came through on the same flight path.

Pretty cool.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #888
Give me a forum ...

Went for a drive and hike - after I jump started my car. Ooops. I guess I need to keep it on a trickle charger in these times.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #889
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover
Went for a drive and hike - after I jump started my car. Ooops. I guess I need to keep it on a trickle charger in these times.

Rumor has it that mice like to nest in cars that aren’t driven often. A few 20 mile drives each week will teach them to stay away and keep the battery charged.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #890
Recycles dryer sheets

I had another job interview with a hiring manager. There are three companies I have been talking with; with two of them, I’ve spoken to the hiring manager and am now speaking with peers of the hiring manager. All through video, which is actually nicer than having to travel for an interview. Today I spoke to the hiring manager for the job that I was probably the most intrigued with. The recruiter made the job sound interesting, the work is right up my alley, and the relocation would be very easy.

Unfortunately, the excitement disappeared during the interview. The hiring manager made me feel uncomfortable - not nervous, but uncomfortable. Like my answers just weren’t what she was looking for. And her style/personality didn’t really click with mine. It felt almost like the recruiter had talked her into speaking with me, because she went on about all the other candidates she was interviewing and whether I had applied or whether they had found me (which could mean they have engaged a search firm, or the recruiter is looking for candidates on LinkedIn), and how she had been searching for some time, when I had submitted my resume over a month ago but didn’t get a call until a week and a half ago.

I left the call feeling like the job was no longer something I should think about. It also sounds like a long selection process even if I did make it to the next round...presentations, further interviews, etc. It is a tough job market out there, I’m not getting a lot of callbacks even for those roles where I’m an exact match to the position. I was happy to have three companies interested in speaking with me, and I’m doing tons of interviews and assessments for these opportunities, and fear they could all turn into rejections. And these are for roles where I think I’d be the front runner if this were 2019. I don’t know if it’s my age, or the number of applicants who have also been impacted by the COVID economy, or the short supply of these roles compared to normal. Either way, I have to balance optimism with not getting my hopes up.

And I’m still not even sure I want to take on a full time role anymore! I probably wouldn’t - no, I KNOW I wouldn’t be looking had I quit my job when the market was still chugging along. I just thought I should look because of all the uncertainty in both the economy and the future of health insurance. It would only be for two years max. I have the house on the market, and part of me just wants to relocate and start my new life. I have decided that I will search in earnest through the end of July, and if I’m not close to an offer, then it’s a signal that I should move on to the next phase of my life and not look back.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #891
Recycles dryer sheets

I started the day with a drizzly three mile walk in the neighborhood.

I put together documents for a fence permit. I used a sharpie on the plat where the fence will be, then indicated with a couple of crosshatches the gate locations. I typed up the description and made a key. I printed out the description and the key and trimmed and taped onto the plat. DH took it to the UPS store to get scanned. DH emailed the plat and contractor proposal to the permit application office. The contractor told DH it would be $500 for him to get the permit. I reminded DH I was an engineer and I would give it a shot.

I spent a little time on email and news and had Mexican restaurant leftovers for lunch.

I spent the afternoon reading a book. I received a call from my nurse about a problem with a specialty prescription. I spent about an hour talking to pharmacy managers, got it straightened out and called the nurse back. DH made chili for dinner. After dinner DH and I went for a two mile walk.

Ending the day with a little Netflix time and a vodka and kombucha cocktail.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #892

I am in the middle of a project for DW. She wanted me to copy pictures of us from our trips and paste them into one document she can send to her sons.
Right now I am up to 2010. Nine more years to go
Old 05-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #893
Give me a forum ...

OK, I didn't do it...but it was today......radio announcer mentioned "Phones ringing off the hook", and I wondered how many 'younger' people, although they get the gist of it, can relate to the reference.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-16-2020, 05:44 AM   #894
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopycat View Post
...I left the call feeling like the job was no longer something I should think about. ...
You never know... it is a crapshoot.

Back in the 1980s I worked in a job where they expected you to transition out to another job in the company after 2-3 years. I interviewed for a position and thought it was a great fit and good interview but never heard back from them.

I later interviewed with another division in the company and they offered me a position and I accepted. The very next day the first guys called me and told me that I was their top candidate and I had to bow out as I had accepted the other position the day before.

Just as well, as I later heard that the special project that the first guys were hiring me to lead, a general ledger conversion, turned out to be a disaster.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-16-2020, 06:41 AM   #895
Give me a forum ...

Went to a graveside funeral for an old cowboy. We had many great times and hard work to show for it together.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #896
Recycles dryer sheets

Made a batch of Molasses Cookies.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #897

Put on two coats of paint rolled with the pressure roller as planned. Once I got me and the machine dialed in it went very fast. As expected I didn't save any time but for a larger space I can sure see the attraction. I could keep rolling paint for as long as the paint bucket had enough in it. As far as reducing bending over, I don't think that part of the plan worked at all. Cleanup took quite a while especially since I'm meticulous about cleaning painting gear so it will last longer.

All that's left is painting the wood trim - doors, window frames, and baseboards. I'll probably take tomorrow off though, I'm sore.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #898

I had a nice online D&D session with friends today -- one I've known 35+ years, the rest are new friends. Last night, five of us had bought tickets to SAVOR Craft Beer festival, but of course it was cancelled (and refunded, don't worry), so I had a video chat and virtual toast with the friends who were supposed to go with me.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #899
Full time employment: Posting here.

COVID-19 version: Kayaked for two glorious hours in beautiful Newport Beach harbor, picked up Vietnamese coffees afterward, grocery shopped, read, met friends at park for Social Distance picnic dinner streamed musical Cats when we returned home, free this weekend only via YouTube. It took a few musical numbers to get into Cats (it's different!), but ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

It was a great day.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:27 AM   #900
Full time employment: Posting here.

Was planning on pressure washing and repainting our deck table and chairs. Then while talking to DW she wanted to "go look" at some new sets so we took off. Looked in 3 stores and ended up going back to # 2 and purchased a new 7 piece set then spent the 4 hour afternoon assembling it. I am feeling it this morning!
Closed Thread