Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 01:46 AM   #941
Recycles dryer sheets

Made some of our traditional paprika style Mac salad to go with grilled ribeye tonight. Later I
watched some episodes of Season 4 of the Sopranos while DH watched NHL from an earlier season.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #942
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Started off earlier than the last 7 weeks. Made grocery & trading rounds. 1st swapped sourdough starter for a bag of lemons. Then picked up a dz ears of corn + 5 pringles for $7. Made 2 bags of food for the kids with foccacia / herbs / produce from my yard + coloring books for the little ones. Off to trade yard produce for eggs then will add a dz eggs to each bag. 1 kid finally got on UIB, the other still can't and is in full blown panic mode. Will also bring DD her favorite from Sbux. Mocha latte with a shot of raspberry
Old 05-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #943

Welcome back, NW Bound!

Had a zoom chat with siblings last night. It was nice to "see" them all again. We are looking a little shaggy! Can't wait for salon to be open again.

Grocery pick up today, on the last two orders I noticed same day available! Got all but one item, except paper products, wipes and lysol spray still not available. I have some now, sure hope I can get them later.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #944
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got up fairly early to survey for any storm damage after a decent line came through last night. Thankfully, no damage (unlike last week's "heat burst" that took out one of our trees!) just some debris in the pool. Took about 10 minutes to get that cleaned up, and now doing an ops check to make sure all is in order...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pool.jpg (383.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 05-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #945
Administrator

Went to the garden, then to the liquor store. Our state started opening two days ago and there was a lot more traffic on the road. As we were driving, the young wife said to me "I wish all these people would go back to work, so we retirees can enjoy the weekdays again."
Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #946
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have been absent from the forum for a while. My friend aja888 wondered about me and sent a message asking if I was RV'ing. That would be nice, but I am still hunkering down at home. It's too early to think of RV'ing, but I will not rule out a trip later in the year, perhaps in fall.
So glad to see your post, NW-Bound! Welcome back.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #947
Dryer sheet wannabe

Took the Shepherd for a slow drive past the local goat farm. She loves it. Lots of staring--both ways. Tilled then planted 4 rows of sweet corn. Pretty warm so had to drink a homemade wheat beer from last winter's batch. Nothing better. Going to plant the sweet potato slips next. Then everything will be in the ground. Finally. Now we wait.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #948

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Picked up 12 years of corn for $2. Shucked 6 for freezer, giving 4 to DD, and roasting up 2. Then had miso soup (S cooks all lunches). Later will walk to CVS for 2 bottles wine and watching Toyota 500

DD wants me to pick up her littlest (6 yrs old) as things are getting tense there. Evidently quarantining got to Son-in-law. She called GS2 (18 yrs old) in when he became aggressive to try to help diffuse the situation. GS2 called cops so he's out.

Take care & carry on
Speaking of corn, my Executive Chef (Kayelle) ordered one of these corn shuckers to make my life easier as Souschef. Unfortunately, it sucks rather than shucks. Unless the cob is rather small, the work to twist to get the kernels off put me in a sweat. After trying to do four ears, I was red in the face and my hands were shaking. I am not a weakling, but this was hard work.

On the larger ears, I tried attacking from both ends.
The attached photo shows the results, which are worse than if I had used a knife
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7018.jpg (424.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #949
Give me a forum ...

Took the car in to a tire shop to have a screw removed from a tire and a proper patch installed.

I love tire pressure sensors!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #950

I was catching up here when I heard an unusual noise from the kitchen. Major fail - my success at the dishwasher unclogging earlier this week went way south when the connection from the dishwasher to the garbage disposer came loose. I thought it was really tight but obviously not.

Piled beach towels on the floor. Unloaded the sink cabinet onto a towel on the counter. Mopped out the cabinet. Got the screwdriver and tried several ways of getting the clamp really tight before discovering I didn't have the clamp close enough to the disposer to get it secured. Finally got a tight connection (at least it didn't pull off when I tugged) so I restarted the dishwasher (so far so good) and finished mopping everything out. Will let the cabinet dry out at least overnight.

I think it's time for another glass of wine...
Old 05-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #951

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I think it's time for another glass of wine...
I think that one calls for at least a twofer...

Today I kept all the water outside and pressure washed half the house. I'll do the other half either later today or tomorrow. Or something like that.

Edit to add:

Finished pressure washing the house after the sunlight moved so there wasn't direct sun on those sides. Did not do under the deck where the Mamma Robin has laid four more eggs so it seems I'll get a second chance to get some chick photos.

Also washed some windows. DW is pleased.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #952
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have been absent from the forum for a while. My friend aja888 wondered about me and sent a message asking if I was RV'ing. That would be nice, but I am still hunkering down at home. It's too early to think of RV'ing, but I will not rule out a trip later in the year, perhaps in fall.
I was wondering if you were still alive myself a few times. Lol Glad all is going well, Sir.

Today I went to ranch and fished for awhile then went to mow a small tree nursery I started. The handle broke off from the deck of the mower so had to stop that project. Spent some time there till it started to rain and came back home.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #953
gone traveling

Realities dictate a virtual 'ground-hog' day abounds in many of our lives. Thats life!

I know it does in mine. I did the same thing today I've done the last couple decade's on Saturdays.

Seems I'm always busy/working, to heck with ER!

Good luck & Best wishes....
Old 05-24-2020, 05:13 AM   #954

Wife and I went Blueberry picking and brought back 12 pounds. Probably ate about 2 pounds while picking. Brought them home and froze about 8 pounds. If you don't wash them (no pesticides used in the farm) and let the dew dry before freezing they will stay separate like a bag of marbles. They don't freeze hard like water either. Really great snack on a hot summer day to pop a few in your mouth and cool off. Might go back next weekend before the season is over. We did wear masks but the blueberry farm is so large and we were the first ones there that the social distance was about 25+ feet.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #955
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Mom is moving to a townhome, so we have started the job of cleaning, selling stuff, and getting ready to pack. 51 years worth of stuff. After working on that, I came home and swam and relaxed. I cooked hot. dogs on the grill for dinner, we have not had that in months. We have had the strangest spring weather here in Iowa, but is is nice out right now, so off for a walk we go.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #956

Retail therapy. 3 kids could do with clothes, 2 need sheets. Also put together 2 boxes of food as they're unemployed. Got out cheap. Nascar on soon so I'm done
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20200524_124431.jpeg (52.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpeg 20200524_124642.jpeg (62.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpeg 20200524_125019.jpeg (53.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpeg 20200524_131418.jpeg (55.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #957
Give me a forum ...

Up at the Farm. Planted a few Sunflowers, Gourds, and two types of Pumpkins in small patches. Also a dozen American Chestnut seedlings. Fingers crossed - West of the Mississippi as to Blight.

One of the neighbors 'teenage cows' came over to visit we 'visited' after neighbor and his son got him (the cow) back in the right pasture.

heh heh heh -
Old 05-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #958
Moderator Emeritus

We ate out again today at our favorite restaurant.

There was one table with three young men, but we saw no other customers in the restaurant. We sat two tables away.

I ordered a spicy crawfish chowder, and F ordered a muffaletta. We had such a nice lunch, and afterwards we went to the boat launch to watch the birds, as we often like to do.... but it was absolutely jammed! There were at least 6-8 boats on trailers lined up to get launched, and we couldn't even get into the parking lot.

So, instead of bird-watching we went for a pleasure drive throughout the nearby neighborhoods. From the number of parked cars that we saw, apparently quite a few in that neighborhood had a dozen or more visitors for a holiday party.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #959
Give me a forum ...

While on a bike ride I stopped and watched/listened to a HS Graduation outdoor on football field. A very nice orchestrated ceremony on a drizzle wet afternoon. Only could have 4 people for each graduate to attend and looked like they were spread out nicely on bleachers and chairs spread safe distant for each student. I sat on my bike and watched from side walk fenced area and there was no one closer then a couple hundred feet from me.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #960
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Up at the Farm. Planted a few Sunflowers, Gourds, and two types of Pumpkins in small patches. Also a dozen American Chestnut seedlings. Fingers crossed - West of the Mississippi as to Blight.

One of the neighbors 'teenage cows' came over to visit we 'visited' after neighbor and his son got him (the cow) back in the right pasture.

heh heh heh -
Thanks for doing that. I was a hardwood lumber inspector in the 1970s and wrongly taught it was extinct. Our instructor said there was some left he knew of, but the inspection rules changed for American Chestnut. Many things that were previously considered defects no longer were, to allow harvest and manufacture of the blight ridden trees.

I went to Durango, where masks are required in public, to get some cannibis. The dispensaries are still in remote mode, order on the net and pickup. There was more traffic than last week but nothing like a normal holiday weekend.

I weedeated around the house and had the pleasure of replacing the line. I managed to use an entire spool up trying to get it started. I managed to whack 15' of line into multiple 6" chunks(I did it really fast - puff gone).

Need to get some water started on the small area of new grass and go for a walk in the forest. It's middle 60s and the sky is clear.
Closed Thread