Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #961

Mowed the "front forty", ate lunch, took a nap, sharpened the mower blade. Thought about cleaning windows, then lay down until I felt better. Maybe tomorrow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #962
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Last night the central A/C died.
We have several mini window A/Cs cooling the place (~850 sf).
Prepping for disaster (hurricane) can come in handy, no matter the event.Image.jpeg
Old 05-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #963
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm sitting here with a nice drink watching a heavy snow outside. DD and her hubby and new grandson are up for this weekend. SIL just started a fire in the woodstove. It is the first fire for a month or so. DS is doing steaks for dinner. Looking forward to a nice evening.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #964

Washed some windows until my back started paining me, had lunch, nap. Then got out the hedge trimmer and trimmed bushes in the front, then cleaned up the trimmings with the Echo Shred 'N Vac that we bought 19 years ago. I had thought they'd stopped making those, for some reason I was looking for it several years ago and couldn't find one for sale anywhere but I guess they resumed production at least for a while. Interestingly, it's $5 cheaper now than it was in 2001 when I bought it.

Our old house had lots of trees that shed leaves and we had a lot of azalea bushes next to the house. Leaves that gathered there were a royal pain to get to and that tool was a back-saver even then. It's one of those tools that I don't use very often, especially here, but I'm so glad I spent the money on it. It looks like a kludge but actually works very well as long as you don't expect it to shred logs.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #965
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Washed some windows until my back started paining me, had lunch, nap. Then got out the hedge trimmer and trimmed bushes in the front, then cleaned up the trimmings with the Echo Shred 'N Vac that we bought 19 years ago. ..........
I hope you realize that you are making a lot of us guys look bad with all this work. I keep saying, "I'll get to it when the pandemic passes".
Old 05-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #966

DW and I went to the dentist today for our regular cleaning and checkups. Despite the fact that everyone was wearing a mask and there were some new protocols to follow in the office, it felt almost normal. I had been nervous, and the appointment was a few months later than originally scheduled, but it was fine and I felt good about it. I guess things are really beginning to return to some semblance of normal in many ways.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #967
Give me a forum ...

Got an appointment for a haircut later today. First one since the end of January. My hair is getting to the point I can't trim it very well myself so going to let a pro clean it up. May run in the grocery store for a few items on the way home. Exciting day.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #968

I drove the kid to the barn today to ride our horse. Then I sat outside and read an actual, real-life book for the first time in months. (Both sitting outside and reading a book, that is.) I haven't felt like I could sit and focus on a book for a while, so this has been a very good day so far.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #969
Moderator Emeritus

Met with my ROMEO group for coffee at 7:00 am at Burger King (outdoor seating).

At 9:30 am, took DW to see her PDP, then pulmonologist. She had a CAT scan Friday afternoon to see if the pain in her lung was possibly a blood clot or some other issue. Since is has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7, we were concerned. Thankfully, no blood clot and no idea why she is having so much pain in that one lung area. Doc put her on prednisone again and another non-opioid pain med. This is the 4th year she has been on a steady diet of O2.

1:00 pm was dedicated to shampooing the carpets since the "cleaning team" will be here tomorrow. Hey, the carpets need to be lookin' good so they can vacuum them!

My next project today is to repair the armrests on DW's wheelchair as they are vinyl covered wood and the screws are sritpped out. I'll fill the old screw holes with a mixture of sawdust and wood glue then drill them out once they set up. We don't use this thing much (yet), but I need to get it in good shape.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #970
Give me a forum ...

Hung bedsheets on solar dryer in back yard.
Sold a 1.5 HP electric motor removed fom a defunct wood chipper, craiglist sale.
Worked on 7 yr. old Harbor freight 800 watt generator. Awaiting parts.
Tomorrow morning will give kayaking lesson to a lady friend.
Turned on AC about 3PM, temp is around 80F.
And received $75 from auto insurance company as Covid lockdown prize.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #971

My wife had a young couple come over that have a small home cleaning business that we used a few times before things shut down. They always did a great job and were half what other chain services charge. We were not comfortable having anyone in the home in so we cancelled back in Feb. They replied at that time they were suspending service to protect themselves as well as their customers. These past 3 months had to have been hard on them without an income. Now they wear masks, gloves, covers for their shoes, and sterilize all their equipment including their truck before going to another home. They are real careful about that.
So to help out we gave them a one time tip of $100. Not much in the scheme of things but I couldn't think of a better way to blow a little of that dough.

Cheers!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 AM   #972

While I was staying away from the house while a cleaning service was there I picked up a couple of bicycle wheels I had respoked because they were old and breaking. A few days ago I removed the old spokes and cleaned up the rims and hubs before I took them to the small independent bike shop near our home.
Duane, the owner, did a great job and then gave me a discount from what I had agreed to and was satisfied with. Surprised!
Since the shop was empty of customers at the moment I had a nice visit discussing bicycles and guitars (a couple of my favorite topics) with Duane. Turns out they are favorite topics of his and he still plays in a band. Fun to talk with someone who knows his guitars and history.

Got the wheels home, installed new tubes and tires I had waiting for me, attached them on my recumbent trike, and attached the brakes on the Sturmey Archer brake hubs. It was raining so I will have to tweak the brake adjustments once the weather improves. I haven't ridden in a week. So ready to get back to my early dawn rides.

Cheers!
Old 05-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #973

Was very happy to discover the existence of free online sheet goods calculators. They generate your cutlist and even account for the kerf of the blade you are using.

I had to cut 22 pieces out of a 36x76" sheet. Nearly all different sizes. This free calculator optimized the arrangement of cuts and I end up using 94% of the sheet.

Great stuff for someone of a cheap frugal nature !
Old 05-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #974
Give me a forum ...

I have been following up on 23andMe and made contact with a couple DNA relatives, one I had never met, another I hadn't seen in 50 years. The one I had never met had lots of 'news' about several of our departed relatives. It is very entertaining.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #975
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Was very happy to discover the existence of free online sheet goods calculators. They generate your cutlist and even account for the kerf of the blade you are using.

I had to cut 22 pieces out of a 36x76" sheet. Nearly all different sizes. This free calculator optimized the arrangement of cuts and I end up using 94% of the sheet.

Great stuff for someone of a cheap frugal nature !
Link?
Old 05-27-2020, 01:14 PM   #976

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Link?
There were several but I liked this one the best.

https://www.cutlistoptimizer.com

Just noticed it can account for the grain direction too.

I exported the cutlist to pdf through the program and sent it to my cellphone. Very handy.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #977
Administrator

We had our cleaning lady in today for the first time in ten weeks. I am so happy about that, as I am the designated house cleaner in her absence. As is our custom, the young wife and I vacated the house so we weren't in the way. We took the roadster out of the garage for the first time this year and went for a nice long drive on the back roads. We packed a picnic, which we enjoyed in one of our lovely state parks and stopped for fresh ice cream on the way home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picnic.jpg (1.04 MB, 71 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #978
Moderator Emeritus

ROMEO Meeting @ 7:00 AM

Dentist @ 2:00 PM

Cleaning Team @ 2:00 - 4:00 PM

Walmart - pick up DW's next group of meds.

7:00 PM - Walk my Wednesday 3 miles on the local golf course with two friends.

The end!
Old 05-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #979
Full time employment: Posting here.

Put in a request for quarterly conversions of a pre-tax IRA to a Roth IRA over the next 2 1/2 years.

Figure it's an opportunity to make sure we fill up the 12% Federal tax bracket until one of us takes Social Security in 2022 or '23.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #980

Met a friend to walk on a trail near her house. We did over 3.5 miles. More people than I expected, including some rude cyclists. But not hard to stay distanced - plus it was quite breezy. Just finished ZOOM yoga and lunch and soon will take car in for annual oil change and inspection. I'm stuck there while they work so if the waiting room is crowded I'll get more steps in by circling the parking lot. Making lamb shanks in the pressure cooker for dinner tonight - got them on special at the store this week. Yum.
Closed Thread