Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #1041
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
What a wonderful thing for the car dealer to do!
I feel for the graduating seniors this year, they have missed out on so many memories of their last year in HS
So true.

From the time he was a little kid in T-Ball he dreamed of playing on the varsity baseball team in HS. He achieved his dream (starting center fielder) only to have it go up in viral smoke after the third game of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Is it the whole car or a one or two year lease....an implement dealer made a big deal about a truck giveaway when it really was one years use of a new truck...
The whole car, not a lease. A 2020 Chevy Trax - although it was a demonstrator with 3,000 miles. Still, it was a new car. This was the second consecutive year the dealership has done this.

Grandson did not win it - didn't even get to give in a try. The 6th kid in line had the lucky key and it started. Did get to watch it on Facebook Live...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #1042
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So true.

From the time he was a little kid in T-Ball he dreamed of playing on the varsity baseball team in HS. He achieved his dream (starting center fielder) only to have it go up in viral smoke after the third game of the season.

The whole car, not a lease. A 2020 Chevy Trax - although it was a demonstrator with 3,000 miles. Still, it was a new car. This was the second consecutive year the dealership has done this.

Grandson did not win it - didn't even get to give in a try. The 6th kid in line had the luck key and it started. Did get to watch it on Facebook Live...
Sorry he didn't win, but kudos to the dealer for not being cheap.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #1043

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Sorry he didn't win, but kudos to the dealer for not being cheap.
That dealership (actually an "auto group" that owns several dealerships in the area) has a good reputation, and here is an example of why:

A few months ago one of their hourly employees suffered a heart attack and died while at work. He was a single father, with two kids in their late teens still living at home. The owner of the auto group paid for the funeral and offered both his children a job, plus money to help them attend college.

This wasn't done for publicity. I only know about it because one of our neighbors was a friend of the deceased.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #1044
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just a beautiful day here and our son and DIL asked us to join them and a few of their friends at a park for a picnic.

We have been staying at home since mid March and this is the first time we’ve been out among people. There were a lot of people there but the park was plenty big so no real worries about social distancing. It felt so good to be out among all these families, many with young kids and a few well behaved dogs on leashes. Kids playing, families at picnic tables, people wading into the stream. It was just so freeing to forget about the pandemic for a few hours.

The only reminder was that all the park restrooms were closed. We knew this in advance. Our son warned us to plan accordingly. Right.... In general, I don’t go places that don’t have restrooms. DH and I are 65 and live in civilization. I expect restrooms! But we planned ahead and managed just fine because we really wanted to spend this time with our sons family and his friends.

Our grandson is 19 months old and the 2 other kids at our picnic were 22 months and almost 3 years. Lots of running and giggling and passing cookies around. Our grandson has a book about butterflies and a real one visited our group and let him get close. Just delightful!
Old 06-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #1045

Finally sold my dad's rug crafting frame on Craigslist. It's been taking up space in our garage for 6 years. Posted his vintage Pendleton reversible car coat. While researching the coat, I learned that the Beach Boys were originally named "The Pendletones" for the Pendleton wool shirts that were popular with surfers at the time. The BBs were a little before my time, so I don't know much about them. That explains why the wool shirt DH found in a thrift store is labeled as a "Board Shirt".

Replaced the infinite switch for a burner on our range. The burner would randomly switch to high all by itself, provoking some bad words from DH on blueberry pancake day.

We continue to see the baby rabbit in our back yard. So far it seems content to dine on lawn fare and hasn't gotten into the veggie garden. It's terrifically cute, so we haven't tried to chase it off yet. We may just let it be and fashion some chicken wire cages to protect the more tempting garden greens. There are hawks, eagles, and coyotes in the area though, so the issue may be resolved otherwise.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #1046
Full time employment: Posting here.

Street,
I watched a professional tree cutter trim an apple tree that got slightly damaged when he took down a big tree at my father's house.
He had a very cute mini chain saw, gas powered, on an expanding extension stick.

He was easily trimming branches 20-25 feet above him.

It made me want to go get one. It was a Stile? Brand.

JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Another guy and myself volunteered from 8 to noon trimming trees along central avenue in a small community. The went to ranch till 330 to water tree nursery I have started in hopes to get some wild berry trees a good start to life.
I then got home and had to cut 10 inch stubs from a tree in my back yard. I had to go up about 20 feet on ladder and chain sawed off 3 to 4 foot long ~10 inch around ash stubs from a live tree. I have a belt and scare strap unit so just belted off up in tree.
I'm tired and watch news now. Lol
Old 06-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Street,
I watched a professional tree cutter trim an apple tree that got slightly damaged when he took down a big tree at my father's house.
He had a very cute mini chain saw, gas powered, on an expanding extension stick.

It made me want to go get one. It was a Stile? Brand.

JP
We have one of those, it's a Tanaka. We call it the light saber. When I use it I feel like Rey Skywalker.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #1048
Administrator

The young wife and I ate at a restaurant for the first time since March 16th. We ate outside on the edge of our town green, which is quite beautiful at this time of year. The temperature was moderate and the sun was shining, although we were comfortably in the shade. The food was good and the service was friendly and efficient. It was a good day.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #1049

Pulled the cutting deck of the tractor and found the middle blade tilted, not sitting flush on the mandrel. That explains the weird cuts and stripes after I cut the lawn yesterday. Pulled all the blades off and sharpened them. Was just about to re-install it then decided to pull the center mandrel off so I could grease it with the grease gun. That's when the cussing and tool throwing started. I'll spare you the details, but an hour and a half later it was all put back together.

Ate lunch, then went the post office and on a 1.9 hike in Rural land trust forest with the pups.

Then got the Benz convertible out of the winter storage bay to fix a fuel line leak. Drove hastily across the lawn with it as I knew it was dripping gas. Along the way, a very dead, and very black mouse came out of the tailpipe.

Replaced the line in about an hour. Some cussing. Had to JB Weld some fuel pump cover studs from inside the trunk, so left the cover off. Will replace it later. Cleaned up, then took almost an hour drive (top down) through nearby towns and countryside. 78 degrees and dewpoint barely 50.

Came home and ate some mint chocolate chip ice cream on the front porch.

What day of the week is it??
Old 06-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #1050

Washing new bed sheets this morning. In the past, this has always been miss or hit whether they'll be as soft washed as they were in the packaging. Some as soft right away. Some never get soft enough.

For the rest of the day, the Weather Channel website indicates a high of 99 degrees F, which will be near a record for this date. First line of the day's weather description states: "Abundant sunshine.". Not sure I ever saw this description in 20+ years looking at the Weather Channel website back in California.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:22 AM   #1051

Woke up to a winter wonder land this morning. About 6 inches of wet snow on the Jeep. It is still snowing. To quote as best I can remember from the front page of the Rock Mountain News for over 100 years - " 'Tis a pleasure to live in Colordo!"
Old 06-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #1052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Woke up to a winter wonder land this morning. About 6 inches of wet snow on the Jeep. It is still snowing.
I remember it well. When I was on the staff of the Air Force Academy the graduation ceremony was always held in the football stadium the first week of June. We lived in dread of having to implement the alternate plans in case of a major snowfall. Never had to do it while I was there, but the threat always loomed over us.

OTOH, I also remember skiing in shorts and a T-shirt in June up at A-Basin, so there are pluses as well as minuses to that kind of weather!
Old 06-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Woke up to a winter wonder land this morning. About 6 inches of wet snow on the Jeep. It is still snowing. To quote as best I can remember from the front page of the Rock Mountain News for over 100 years - " 'Tis a pleasure to live in Colordo!"
Our forecast high today is 100F.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #1054

Needed to use my cordless drill this morning and it was deader than a doornail. Swapped in a freshly charged battery, same thing.

A bit of online research showed that it was a known problem and needed a new switch. A bit more online research showed that the switch cost $90 and would take two weeks to arrive.

So a ten minute drive to Home Depot got me a brand new, totally equivalent cordless drill for $80 that included a spare battery as well as a charger and a tool bag. Only real difference is that it's a Ryobi instead of a DeWalt. I've always had good luck with Ryobi tools, so a happy camper here.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #1055
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
For the rest of the day, the Weather Channel website indicates a high of 99 degrees F, which will be near a record for this date. First line of the day's weather description states: "Abundant sunshine.". Not sure I ever saw this description in 20+ years looking at the Weather Channel website back in California.
Welcome to Texas! "Feel Like" temp. here just north of Houston will be 110 F today. I need to cut the back yard before that heat happens.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post

I think what you're referring to is a pole saw. There seem to be hundreds of them, ranging in price from very cheap to very pricey, manual, electric, or gas powered. I had a manual one but when my shoulder issue developed I gave that to DW's nephew and got one made by Milwaukee. I didn't pay $400 for it, Home Depot had them on sale at the time. Great tool.

I haven't done much today but will if Fedex ever shows up with the shelving units that I ordered from Home Depot a week ago. This is their second try at delivering to an address where we've been for almost 18 years and everyone else seems to be able to find. This way I'll be able to get all the stuff that has accumulated on the floor up on shelves, thereby making room for more stuff on the floor. Oh wait, that's not supposed to happen...
Old 06-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #1057
Give me a forum ...

While fixing supper tonight, DH was listening to some tunes. I started talking about certain songs I love that have a great bass line. So, he picked up his bass guitar and played along with Joe Satriani, Edgar Winter, Wild Cherry, Aretha Franklin, Rare Earth, The Byrds...he's still playing. Supper will be ready soon. Not sure if we'll drink the wine or he'll soak his fingers and I'll soak my hip.

Ahhhh...(for those of you who remember the saying) it's a Kodak moment.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #1058

Yesterday we put together the two out of three sets of shelving that Fedex finally delivered after a several-day delay, and today the third set arrived so we put those up too. They're made by a company called Gladiator and seem to be high quality. They go together without any tools (except maybe the knife used to open the box) and seem sturdy and strong. And we have lots more floor space in the basement that was formerly occupied by R/C model airplanes, painting stuff, and other odds 'n ends that accumulate on the floor when there's no other storage option.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #1059

Worked. With kids at home.
Lifted. Went for a 5mi run.
Bike ride with kids to park
Sandbox with my girl
Lots of dad push us on the swingset

Followed up with a couple recruiters (One that requires a top secret those always pique me)
Banter texts about markets between friends/relatives
Spoke with old airforce buddy about plans to visit
Watered the lawn as the kids played in water
Grilled Chicken dinner
Talked over a deck build we are planning
Gave kids bath
Replied to a few ER threads
Checked investments

Mucked with Google AI *Smart Outlets, Google Mini (garage door opener is on the way)
(I can say, Hey Google, I'm hot and it kicks on all the portable fans in the house, plan to wire in ceiling fans to that routine as well later

...now about to watch the last half of Game of Thrones Season 7
and we will do this all over again...tomorrow, and the next day, and the next lol

EDIT to add all of this while handling a FUSSY 2 year old. DOES IT GET EASIER PLEASE SAY IT GETS EASIER!!
Old 06-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #1060
Give me a forum ...

I got a haircut w perm. Woo hoo!!

Giving a perm while the customer and stylist are both wearing masks is tough. I think this was her first attempt to do that and likely the last for the duration.