Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #1101
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Interesting.

Can you grow garlic in pots?
I've never done it, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't. The bottom roots don't go down more than about 2 inches.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #1102

I grow garlic in Earthbox pots on my deck. Also, if you have rosebushes, garlic is great to plant next to them, for a variety of reasons.

Companion Plants for Roses
Old 06-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #1103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am doing nothing exciting: cleaning the house, some meal prep, and trying to exercise.

My very expensive athletic club is offering little online exercise programs for 75 and better, out of shape, members. A friend recommended an exercise program on Zoom led by the laid-off leader of the senior program at a closed moderately priced athletic club in the city. That is working for me.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #1104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Overheard an idiot at USPS today. She was telling someone who's going to Croatia that if she renewed her passport she would be unable to travel for 6 months as new passports are not valid for 6 months after the issuing date but that it would be valid for 6 months after expiration date. In that the passport is expiring in a month, why doesn't she just go with it as is and deal with it when she returns in 3 months?

Fortunately the customer kept shaking her head and asked me what I would do. Told her to use an expediting service (SF office closed) then suggested to supervisor that he might want to retrain her.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #1105

Sounds like simple confusion. Many countries require your passport to remain valid for six months after the end of your visit.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:18 PM   #1106
Give me a forum ...

I got my first haircut in four months. Most importantly, I no longer look like some old Russian bolshevik who never trims his out of control eyebrows.

The barber/stylist did a good job of keeping the place extra clean (it always was clean). Blow drying and combing out the hair is not allowed since it may scatter the virus all over the place. After we were done she admonished me to go home, take a shower and wash off any virus that might have found it's way to my skin. I did.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #1107
Moderator Emeritus

^chuckanut - if you wear a mask through the whole hair cut, how does the barber work around mask elastic straps around your ears?
Old 06-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #1108

Did a little light trimming on the bushes out front and cleaned up with the Echo Shred 'N Vac that I've had for 20 years. Seizing the opportunity while DW was out at a Dr. appointment, I put the cloth collection bag in the washing machine and washed it. (The one in the link has a black bag, the one I have is white. I think there's a reason they changed the color, mine was looking pretty grubby.)

She came home while the washing machine was still running and asked what dark clothes I was washing (the laundry is in between the garage and rest of the house, and she always looks to see what's in there if I start some laundry) and I just said "You don't want to know". This got the predictable eye roll.

The white shredded leaf bag came out very clean. Deciding not to push my luck I let it air dry on the back porch.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Teaching myself arc welding with a low end Harbor Freight flux core wire feed;

Robbie, to make learning easier, try going with same thickness materials to join. That thick with thinner is a harder weld to do. Also if your welder has a gas option, with solid core wire, that will be easier to see the weld. Also less splatter. But that also means buying a gas bottle and the fill of the gas mix. For steel, the usual mix is called 75/25. 75% Argon with 25 % CO2.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 06-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #1110
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^chuckanut - if you wear a mask through the whole hair cut, how does the barber work around mask elastic straps around your ears?
The young wife has invented a single use mask just for going to the hair salon. It is very form fitting, made of blue shop towel material and uses double backed tape on the cheeks and the bridge of the nose. That way, her stylist can cut and color without the straps getting in the way. They liked it so much at the salon that she has made them another 50 to use with other customers.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #1111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Robbie, to make learning easier, try going with same thickness materials to join. That thick with thinner is a harder weld to do. Also if your welder has a gas option, with solid core wire, that will be easier to see the weld. Also less splatter. But that also means buying a gas bottle and the fill of the gas mix. For steel, the usual mix is called 75/25. 75% Argon with 25 % CO2.
No gas option, it's this Titanium 125 cheapie. That weld may not look pretty, but it's strong. I beat it severely with a hammer while clamped in the vise and all it did was bend it a little.

In addition, I do all my welding outside with a good stiff Delta Breeze blowing. Good for not breathing the fumes, bad for gas shield.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #1112
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday found a slaughtered rabbit in our back yard. The remains were gone this morning. I wonder if it was the same cougar that got the deer in our back yard last year.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #1113
Give me a forum ...

Changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin air filter on the Impala.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #1114

We watched the Nasa Live event this morning, an interview with Bob and Doug up in the ISS. They're settled in, staying busy, and getting ready for a space walk next week. One of the interviewers told them that stuffed, sequined dinosaurs like the one they took up with them to bring back down for their sons are selling like crazy down here.

Pulled out my randonee, er, AT ski boots which I haven't used for 8 years or so. They looked dusty, so I was going to clean them up, but it wasn't dust. The plastic shells were coated with a white haze, almost like a mildew. Couldn't find anything specific about this online, just some discussions about oxidation on black plastic car parts. The haze wiped off with a damp rag though, and they're shiny again. Now I just need to decide if I want to sell them.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #1115
Moderator Emeritus

I spent a lot of time weeding out the vegetable garden today. I have a sore back and a sunburn to prove it. The garden's coming along just fine - except for the tomatoes that are a total loss this year (I'm not sure what the problem is).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3269.jpg (1.15 MB, 61 views)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #1116
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I spent a lot of time weeding out the vegetable garden today. I have a sore back and a sunburn to prove it. The garden's coming along just fine - except for the tomatoes that are a total loss this year (I'm not sure what the problem is).
Wow! That's a lot of potatoes in the foreground. We only have a single 20 ft row. Do you have potato beetles? We have to inspect our plants every single day and squash the eggs and larvae, or we'll harvest no potatoes.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #1117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Yesterday found a slaughtered rabbit in our back yard. The remains were gone this morning. I wonder if it was the same cougar that got the deer in our back yard last year.
Probably not a cougar. There was a deer standing in the street this morning and they usually disappear for a while after a big cat shows up.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #1118
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wow! That's a lot of potatoes in the foreground. We only have a single 20 ft row. Do you have potato beetles? We have to inspect our plants every single day and squash the eggs and larvae, or we'll harvest no potatoes.
Actually, this is our small potato garden (in the garden pictured above we only have early harvest varieties). We have a much larger potato garden, shared with 2 neighbors, for the late harvest varieties (1,000 linear feet of potatoes in total!). The two gardens are quite distant from each other. The small garden has no potato beetles, the large one has had a few that we've been able to remove by hand so far. We're trying to avoid any kind of treatment. Yes it is a lot of potatoes, but we are still eating last year's crop so the harvest covers our needs almost year round.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I have lost about a dozen tomato plants this year also. They grow fine for a few weeks or more, then start wilting, then tip over. The stem just above soil level is very thin, and is being attacked by something..........a fungus, I'm pretty sure. Damping-off fungus is only supposed to kill very young seedlings, but whatever fungus is killing my tomato plants is able to weaken and kill much larger plants.

I don't know what I can do about this. The research I have done on soil-borne fungi basically says there is not a whole lot you can do about it, other than plant your tomatoes in a different area next year. The problem is, this is happening at various locations throughout my whole garden, so it's not restricted to just one small area. Frustrating!
Old 06-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #1120

Trying to navigate the state court system, made harder by special coronavirus rules for emergency filings and notaries. A clerk who seemed like the perfect person to email with a question didn't respond, so today I found a more promising looking contact on a webpage that solicits feedback on your court experience.
Closed Thread