Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 10:27 PM   #1121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got refunded for some National Forest campground reservations because the campgrounds were closed due to Covid 19 precautions. I was impressed at the ease of it - just clicked a box that said "Request Refund", added a reason and sent it yesterday. Estimate was 4 to 6 weeks for processing, yet it was approved today!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 01:14 AM   #1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I have lost about a dozen tomato plants this year also. They grow fine for a few weeks or more, then start wilting, then tip over. The stem just above soil level is very thin, and is being attacked by something..........a fungus, I'm pretty sure. Damping-off fungus is only supposed to kill very young seedlings, but whatever fungus is killing my tomato plants is able to weaken and kill much larger plants.

I don't know what I can do about this. The research I have done on soil-borne fungi basically says there is not a whole lot you can do about it, other than plant your tomatoes in a different area next year. The problem is, this is happening at various locations throughout my whole garden, so it's not restricted to just one small area. Frustrating!
That's exactly what's going on with my tomato plants as well - except for the cherry tomato plant growing in a pot, that one looks very healthy. I might try to get a couple more plants from the nursery and grow them in pots this year.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #1123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Got refunded for some National Forest campground reservations because the campgrounds were closed due to Covid 19 precautions. I was impressed at the ease of it - just clicked a box that said "Request Refund", added a reason and sent it yesterday. Estimate was 4 to 6 weeks for processing, yet it was approved today!
You were lucky to get the refund that fast. Our Hawaiian cruise was cancelled in March the day before we were to leave. We took the option to get a refund and a cruise credit. It finally showed up on my credit card account yesterday I was very patient, as I know they had to have many thousands to process.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #1124

Returned from my early morning bike ride. Then I made a dozen cranberry and cinnamon scones to surprise a friend for her birthday today. I have never made a cake but I can make good scones that she likes and is always asking about. Maybe I will put a candle in one of them.

Cheers!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #1125
Administrator

Just finished painting my side porch. It is uncovered, so it needs painting more often than the others.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #1126
Give me a forum ...

Had the driveway sealed yesterday and I'm enjoying watching it dry.

Ripping CDS to PC disk and then to a memory stick.

Received notice from our attorney for Megacorp's breach of fiduciary duties. The management of the fund company is offering a 12 million dollar settlement for their part. Average payout of 25k per plaintiff. Then Megacorp is still on the hook for their part. Sounds like when the manager admits their failures Megacorp doesn't have much to defend. Geeze I'm glad I signed up for this.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #1127
Moderator Emeritus

Got back from my routine doctor appointment, rescheduled from last April. My doctor is both an internist and an endocrinologist. He says I'm doing fine and my Type 2 diabetes isn't any worse than it was.

Also he thinks Louisiana's re-opening is at a reasonable rate for what he is seeing among his (mostly elderly, overweight, diabetic, vulnerable) patients. He reminded me that slow but steady is the way to resume normal life and said I am progressing with that at a sane/average pace. He also reminded me (and I forgot!) that we are scheduled to enter Phase 3 in a week.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #1128

We were going to go kayaking, but my Mom's tooth that she's scheduled to have filled in a few weeks flared up with pain and swelling. Her dentist was able to get her in at 10:00, said she probably needs a root canal, and is sending her to a periodontist to see if he thinks the tooth can be saved. Taking her there for a 2:30 appointment.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #1129

I am a day late, but yesterday I gave my DH a haircut. I have never given anyone a haircut before, but it turned out pretty good.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #1130
Moderator Emeritus

Not much.....watered the plants, walked the dog, sat around, read posts here. Too hot out (90's).
Old 06-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #1131
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I am a day late, but yesterday I gave my DH a haircut. I have never given anyone a haircut before, but it turned out pretty good.
Well done! The young wife has cut my hair twice since we locked down. Both times, she was more nervous about it than I was. She did a great job. I may never go back to the barber.

On the other hand, I only dyed her hair once. The minute the salon re-opened, she was there.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Well done! The young wife has cut my hair twice since we locked down. Both times, she was more nervous about it than I was. She did a great job. I may never go back to the barber.
I cut DH's hair twice too. I asked him how much he normally pays: $20. I decided he's gonna keep going back so I don't have to stress about messing up, and he gets out of my house.

Also, I bet YOU cleaned up the hair afterwards unlike in my house....
Old 06-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #1133
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I cut DH's hair twice too. I asked him how much he normally pays: $20. I decided he's gonna keep going back so I don't have to stress about messing up, and he gets out of my house.

Also, I bet YOU cleaned up the hair afterwards unlike in my house....
Of course I cleaned up. My grandmother, my mother and my sister all worked as charwomen. I am following in the family tradition.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #1134

I made home made pasta, I think for the first time ever. I believe it's called "broad noodles" because they seemed easiest. I just used one egg yolk, water, and whole wheat flour that I didn't measure. I used a glass as a rolling pin. I made about two plates full. Maybe 2-3 servings. I finished it all. Not better than dried store bought IMO and a bit of a pain but at least I know I can let myself run out of boxed pasta.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #1135

Lake was glassy flat last night and was cloudless - the effect was incredible as there was no discernible horizon as the lake reflected the stars so well.

This morning took advantage to go out kayaking and had a C-130 directly overfly at surprisingly low altitude. A very rare occurrence for these parts. Was sad that I hadn't taken a camera. Water is so clear. Countless fish in view including some nice size bass.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #1136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
This morning took advantage to go out kayaking and had a C-130 directly overfly at surprisingly low altitude. A very rare occurrence for these parts.
We have training aircraft, almost constantly doing wide circles, here from CFB Trenton.....pretty sure a couple of them are CC-130H Hercules.....you're welcome to take one home.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #1137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We have training aircraft, almost constantly doing wide circles, here from CFB Trenton.....pretty sure a couple of them are CC-130H Hercules.....you're welcome to take one home.
I remember those aircraft doing the big long loops when was growing up in that area. Majestic and graceful like a circling vulture! Occasionally you can still see them in the Kingston area where we are now.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #1138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfradio View Post
I remember those aircraft doing the big long loops when was growing up in that area. Majestic and graceful like a circling vulture! Occasionally you can still see them in the Kingston area where we are now.
They're still here......I think there are two in the air most times, but can't verify.

When they're flying over I'm often tempted, (but never have done and never will), to run outside shouting "It's OK, it's OK, it's one of ours!"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #1139
Give me a forum ...

Last night I was copying CDS to disk and actually got done about 11:00 PM when I realized I left the memory stick inside DW'S Wrangler. It was outside at the end of the driveway about 100' away. I stepped outside and realized how freaking dark it was! No outside light, the nearest street light is 3 miles away. I was totally lost and almost panicked. I used the fob to unlock the vehicle and it provided light.

This morning I received an invitation to the lawsuit I'm part of against Megacorp and apparently the fund manager who allowed Megacorp to be stupid. Zoom meeting next week will provide many details. The attorney I chatted with said if approved by the plaintiffs this will be a 2020 payment.

We went to the river to walk, as I pulled into the parking lot my cell phone rang through the Wrangler's phone. It was my Tesla advisor telling me my model Y was in Littleton and he was arranging a carrier to bring it here! Hopefully it might arrive before the fourth.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #1140

Helped any old bricklayer lay some block today. He is 68 and not the best of health but needs to keep generating some income. He is very heavy and struggles with the physical task of all aspects of the job. He was very appreciative of the help. It made me feel very I could help him.
Closed Thread