What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winn Dixie had a BOGO sale on Rump Roast. I got two and sliced one in six 1" thick pieces, seasoned, bagged and I'm sous vide cooking them. I'm going 18 hrs at 136*F. The recipe said 24 hrs, not sure that slicing it makes much difference, I may pull one out sear it and test, before pulling out the others.

Edit to add, I pulled it out at 18 hrs, I seared a piece and it was very tender. My seasoning was hardly noticible, so I just went with butter, salt and pepper. Plenty of juice to work with also. I have the second one roast cooking now. That means I need to stop the cooking at at 4:30am, I suspect that one will cook for 20 hrs :)

Last edited:
I went out to my garden and staked up the corn that had been flattened by Tropical Storm Isaias. Came home and mowed with lawn with the bagger to pick up all the leaves that came down on Tuesday. My giant brush and log pile out front was removed by the town yesterday, so we're back to how everything appeared before the storm, except for the slightly damaged porch rail and gutter. I'll probably work on repairing that tomorrow.

Yesterday, I reattached the wooden porch rail to the column from which it had been torn loose, toe-nailed all the balusters back into place, then caulked everything. This morning, I painted over all the caulk, then took to the ladder to repair the copper gutter that had been slightly crushed. A 6 inch round disc of wood and a ball peen hammer worked wonders. It is not as perfect as new, but it is fully functional, and once the patina reforms it will be unnoticeable at ground level. My new young neighbors across the street took my bags of leaves to the transfer station for me. So, now we're fully back in commission after the storm.

Last edited:
Went for a bike ride with DH, stopped by at a friend's house and checked out her vegetable garden. DH removed two big hornworms from one of the tomato plants as my friend was being squeamish. Then DH and I played badminton in our backyard when we got home.

I turned on our gas BBQ grill outside for dinner - I turned on just the first line (out of 4 burners) and opened up the lid to find a mouse trying to frantically get away from the flame!! I screamed and turned off the heat right away. Got DH out to shake the BBQ grill to make sure it had escaped. I was shaken by this experience.

Last edited:
Brewed beer for the second time this week since the temps are below 90F for a short while. Humidity felt like about 1,000,000%.

Wednesday was an IPA, my always-on-tap beer. Today was a first for me, a Saison.

Ran the Honda mini-tiller with the dethacher accessory off and on (okay, mostly off) for most of the day. I'd work on it for 45 minutes, take a 30-minute break, then back to it. As the day went on the breaks got longer and the work times got shorter. And that hill down to the woods where I dumped the thatch got steeper as the day wore on. Toward the end there it became more like a mountain. But I got most of it done, I'll finish up tomorrow in about two hours or so.

I removed the Wren nest from my garage. Hopefully, they will find a new place to have their young next Spring. It was fun having "company" in the garage near my workbench, but they made a bit of a mess. Easily cleanable though.

I put a Wren birdhouse (Cedar, 1 1/8" opening) in front of the house among the trees. Maybe they will choose this instead of my garage.:D

Shipped off a couple Susan B. Anthony proof coins that I sold on eBay. I was surprised at how fast they sold. I also sold a Morgan silver dollar pendant within just a few days of posting. These are a few of the coins that DF gave me over the years. I'm considering selling the many silver coins he gave me, since the price of silver is going up. I guess the thieves that stole the coins from my mom's storage unit had good timing in that respect. :mad:

Got DM switched from the Verizon Alcatel flip phone she bought last week and didn't like to a Jitterbug phone. Her vision is poor and she had trouble using the thin black navigation ring on the phone. Verizon finally released her number to GreatCall, and I'll return the Verizon phone on Monday.

Used my new jackhammer with the clay spade bit. Got the second crape myrtle planted in about 3 hours as opposed to the three days it took before. Thanks to Aja8888 and Ronstar for the suggestion. Now DW is planning on building beds and planting more trees and bushes. So maybe I'm not that thankful after all.

Worked a shift at the winery. Sold lots of wine. Lifted weights for 30 minutes. Walked the dog. Homemade pizza tonight. Good bottle of wine with our favorite YouTube guy Adventure4WD. Good day.

Hit the grocery for burgers and buns and picked up a bag of Hatch chilies too. Picked up shrimp in black bean sauce for lunch.

Did some more varnishing, roasted 2 chilies and barbee'd up the best burgers I've had in a long time. Toasted buttered buns, hatch layer on the bottom, burger next, sweet onion on top. So good!

Got my sand point water well up and running. It has been an 8 day process waiting for motor and getting the other materials etc. Today I fired it up and of course I didn't have much water but I had plenty in the pipe. Narrowed problem down to an air leak in the bajo cam. I ended up after a temp fix I could run a sprinkle and had a lot of water.

Got my sand point water well up and running. It has been an 8 day process waiting for motor and getting the other materials etc. Today I fired it up and of course I didn't have much water but I had plenty in the pipe. Narrowed problem down to an air leak in the bajo cam. I ended up after a temp fix I could run a sprinkle and had a lot of water.

So glad to hear of the progress, Street. I imagine rivers will be flowing soon enough! :)

Used my new jackhammer with the clay spade bit. Got the second crape myrtle planted in about 3 hours as opposed to the three days it took before. Thanks to Aja8888 and Ronstar for the suggestion. Now DW is planning on building beds and planting more trees and bushes. So maybe I'm not that thankful after all.

Glad it worked out! Sorry to hear it created more work for you! :LOL:

Excellent! Good that your DW is thinking of ways to get your money's worth out of that tool. Even if you have to do a "little" more work.

Listening to church service on line with DS and DGS. Peaceful morning.

DH and I rode our bikes into Seattle on the Burke Gilman trail. As we set out, we were feeling restroom insecure, but found open restrooms at a couple of parks along the way, whew! Enjoyed some iced mochas in one of the park-like areas on the UW campus then had lunch at one of our favorite places nearby. Looking forward to things getting back to normal on and around campus. I love biking and kayaking around there with all the youthful vitality in the air.

Ordered up some stuff from Amazon, picked up my order of mu shu shitake and ate it and then fixed the dishwasher.

Wasn't pumping, thought I'd have to get a new one but I fixed it.

I had heard about the moose calves up the road a few miles. I had seen mama moose, but not the two little ones. Today I saw the "little" ones up close and personal. I was driving along the gravel road doing about 35 mph. They both popped out of the bushes and ran along side of me for a bit. They were easily as tall as my Jeep Wrangler. Even if it was startling to see them, it was great too.

"They took the bait!"

For the last month or so we've been finding small holes in the ground near the front porch where last year's gopher was busily digging until he was captured and um, "dispatched".

I was pouring topsoil in them, filling it in and replanting grass seed in an effort to plug the holes. For whatever reason I was thinking that the ground was merely subsiding and "filling in" the void left by the gopher every time I watered where I'd put new soil and seed. Then we noticed a neighbor's cat hanging around in the early morning hours staring intently at the spot where the holes were. Making a long story somewhat shorter, yesterday we saw that it wasn't the soil filling in the void, it was the voles that had moved in to the gopher's former residence. "Cool!" they said. "A prebuilt spacious multilevel home for us. Yay!"

A somewhat hurried trip to the computer for some research and a trip to Home Depot was in order. They don't have a lot for voles but they do have mousetraps and poison bait for mice in abundance so that will have to do for now. So I put out some mousetraps and, lacking anything else that the Oracle of Wisdom (i.e., The Internet) said was good, like peanut butter, I cut up a few green seedless grapes and baited the traps with that. Not five minutes passed and one trap had sprung and the hapless vole was wriggling in desperation to escape it's clutches. "Yay!" said DW "We got him!"

He later succumbed to drowning.

I pointed out that we had "got" one and it was doubtful that there was only one. A few hours later my caution was proven correct when I saw another one scurry out from one hole and into another. No other traps were sprung and I named the recently deceased vole "Adventuresome Andy" since he had failed to exercise any caution.

This morning I filled in all the holes again sans seed, just to let me know which ones were active. Sure enough, in a few minutes two were open again, I guess for ventilation. I then cut up some of the poison bait into smaller chunks and pushed them into a couple of the holes and placed one chunk near, but not into, one of the holes just to see if it would later disappear. Several hours later it did. Yay!

On the way back from a Dr. appointment (that's another post) I bought some peanut butter (chunky) for bait. We'll see how that goes and a follow up post will detail the results, if any. I'll forego the pictures though.

I do hope they like Jiff.

Last edited:
Then we noticed a neighbor's cat hanging around in the early morning hours staring intently at the spot where the holes were.

We once had our back yard plagued by moles, but we had a wonderful cat. The cat would stand on the lawn staring at a nondescript spot in the grass, and I would go out with a pitchfork. When the cat twitched its whiskers, I plunged the pitchfork into the ground. After half a dozen encounters like that, we had no more moles. Time consuming, but very, very effective.

We once had our back yard plagued by moles, but we had a wonderful cat. The cat would stand on the lawn staring at a nondescript spot in the grass, and I would go out with a pitchfork. When the cat twitched its whiskers, I plunged the pitchfork into the ground. After half a dozen encounters like that, we had no more moles. Time consuming, but very, very effective.

That’s teamwork!

Brewed beer for the second time this week since the temps are below 90F for a short while. Humidity felt like about 1,000,000%.

Wednesday was an IPA, my always-on-tap beer. Today was a first for me, a Saison.

You're making me want to pull the plug and FIRE. Luckily I still have home brewed Weizen, Weizenbock, and Classic American Pilsner that I made during the spring shutdowns. The IPA ran out, but I've been trying a number of commercial ones. Maybe I'll be retired the next time I homebrew.

We once had our back yard plagued by moles, but we had a wonderful cat.

I was commenting to DW this morning that growing up neither one of us ever had any of those issues with gophers, moles, voles, or any of those pest-type critters, except maybe crickets. Then it dawned on me - growing up, both of us had dogs and cats running around.:facepalm:

And a couple of the cats were pretty good at catching crickets too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom