Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #101
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw3580 View Post
Picked up our wedding rings. Getting married tomorrow. 21 years together, I guess it’s time.

We did the same thing 9 years ago.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took the Tesla on a trip to get a nice lunch in Ferndale.

and petted a friendly shop dog:

This car is changing my life.

Old me: I hate traveling!
New me: Where can we go?
Old 01-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

4 yr. Grandson is here this weekend. Busy, busy! Playing with trucks, building legos, he is so creative. Such an imagination.
Love time with the kiddos.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Watching KC play the Texans.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #105
Confused about dryer sheets

January thaw

Unbelievable warm temperatures mid 60s last couple days, wife and I hiked the new rail trail near Woodstock NY. Along the Ashokan Reservoir, beautiful scenery
Old 01-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Checked out of a motel and went back to our new retirement home in NH we just closed on the day before. Set up an air mattress and camping chairs and did a few things in preparation for staying the week, when we had to head back to our NY place to get ready to pack and move in a month.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #107

Same here with the warm weather, high 67° F today. We did some yard cleanup, raking leaves, cutting some wild growth back towards the woods and the like. Normally this time of year we're as close to hibernation mode as we can get.

There's gonna be a payback for this weather, for sure! I'll bet next month we're literally up to our butts in snow.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Watching KC play the Texans.
Let me fix this: Watching KC beat up the Texans.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Old me: I hate traveling!
New me: Where can we go?
May I suggest Tuktoyaktuk?

Canada finally was able to extend the Dempster Highway past Inuvik, in order to reach the ocean. This all-weather road was opened on Nov 2017. It used to cost a few hundred dollars to take a 30-min flight from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk.

At an autosupply store in Dawson City in 2018, I overheard a Canuk bragging to the sales clerk that he just came back from "Tuk". The clerk asked how the new road was. The RV'er said that on a scale of 1 to 10 for a gravel road, he gave it an 8.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #110

Installed the second of two Sensi smart thermostats. Have two heat pumps each with a separate thermostat. I had been waiting for another price drop on Amazon but ended paying about 10% more for this one after a Discover bonus deal. Process went smoothly but because the new thermostats are slightly smaller than the old ones, I will have to do some touch up painting on the wall.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:51 AM   #111
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sunday spent at hospital meeting new grandson
Old 01-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
Congratulations!
Old 01-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #113
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks.... it certainly reminds me that bringing life to this world is certainly a blessing....nothing like holding a little human....
Old 01-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #114

Went kayak fishing with some friends.........paddled out right from our house. Watched 3 dolphins chasing fish (probably mullet) around, as soon as we got out near the main river. Watched the ospreys soaring above us, looking for a fish meal. Also saw pelicans, little blue herons, great blue herons, kingfishers, and other birds. Caught only one small fish (which I released), but it was an enjoyable morning. Nice and warm here, 75 degrees or so and sunny.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
Who can beat that !! Congrats.

I installed a new ice maker in my fridge freezer. I've never even attempted anything like this but when I researched what might have caused the ice maker to quit, I found You tube videos showing how easy it was to install. It cost less to order the new ice maker than it would have to have an appliance repair person make a service call. It works too !!
Old 01-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #116
Administrator

Yesterday, we drove down to Key West. Wandered around Duvall Street and stopped in Ernest Hemingway's house, where we spent a good long time petting the many polydactyl cats. Since we left our girls at home, we needed a feline fix. We ate dinner out on the deck at Louie's Back Yard and watched the sunset. Quite a nice day. Today, we just lounged around here at the resort and read our books.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Played golf for the 1st time in 5 weeks. Started off slow with a 46 on the front but ended with a 41 on the back for an 87 total. Muscles a bit sore right now so time for a nice hot shower.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
polydactyl cats.
You probably already knew this, but I read, quite a number of years back, that they are more common in port towns, (Halifax N.S. apparently being one, for example), since they were (supposedly) more adept at climbing masts, holding on, etc.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

We went to Walmart to pick up a prescription. My wife spotted a credit card dropped on the ground. It turned out to be an American Express gift card with a face value of $500. OMG! I felt so bad for the person dropping it. How could we return it? What if it was a gift card given to an elderly person, who really depended on it?

At home, I went on the Web and looked up the balance on this card. It turned out to be only $6 left on the card. I felt so much better.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Even though I thought I might have jinxed myself applying for my social security benefit on Friday the 13th (last Sept), everything went smoothly. The online process was simple and there were no hiccups.

I received my first deposit today. I've always wanted to live long enough to get at least one payment. Since that's happened, I'm thinking....hey, how about two or three or four more....