Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #1421
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
...Got my DD's basic budget. Waiting for DS' then we will sit down and figure out what they need to outlast this Sheltering in Place. Each are applying for multiple jobs but he says up to 1000 are applying for the ones he's after. She painting houses to augment UIB. But that's not doubling it YET...
Good luck to your son and daughter in finding something. When I hear things like this, I am reminded how blessed we are to be retired while all this is going on.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #1422
Moderator Emeritus

Got a haircut this morning after my 7:00 am meeting with my ROMEO group at Burger King. Then went to Costco and spent way more than I planned to. Even at 11:00 am during the week, our Costco is full of shoppers.

Tonight, my three friends and I meet and go on our usual Wednesday evening 2 mile walk before we go to the Grill and Bar for a light dinner. It's going to be 90+ F at 7:00 PM tonight when we meet at the golf course for our walk. We have been meeting and walking for over 20 years now! All of us are in our 70's and these are "no excuses" walks (no complaining about pains, etc).

Our "cleaning team" gets here at 1:30 PM today so I have to vacate the premises for a couple of hours. I haven't decided what to do, but since it's over 90 F outside, I need to find an indoor place. DW stays here and keeps the dog company.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #1423

Mowed the front & side, will do the back tomorrow. Or sometime in the next few days. Did some more dethatching on the side yard, I can only do that for about 20 minutes before my back starts hurting. While I was doing that the mail carrier delivered a 50 lb. box of grass seed. I'll bet the mail carriers are all cussing up a storm at Amazon because of stuff like that. When they took the job they probably thought they'd be delivering letters, bills, and the occasional box of cookies. I took the lazy way out and used the hand truck to carry it around back.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #1424
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a run, breakfast at Mcd’s drive up, sat on the deck watching and photographing birds, putzed in the workshop, went fishing in the kayak- caught nothing, played with my new camera tripod gimbal. Going to take a nap so that I can get up at 9:30 to watch the Blackhawks.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #1425
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Then went to Costco and spent way more than I planned to. Even at 11:00 am during the week, our Costco is full of shoppers.
I've been to Costco a few times recently. We had run very low on disinfectant products, so I started getting there at 8:45 for the 9 am senior hour. They open early if they get everything set in time. They put out the high demand items first thing, even though they limit them to one per customer. But the best part is there are relatively few customers in the huge warehouse. I've seen them turn away younger people, so it is being somewhat enforced. The first time I went I was a bit late, and was still there at 10 when they opened to the general public. 5 minutes later the place was a zoo. So I've been enjoying the peace and quiet. One day you might get some Clorox Wipes, and another day they might have Lysol spray. Some days they don't have anything. I'm stocked up on the disinfectant products now, but it's still great to be able to pick up a few items and get out without having to come into contact with people.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:26 AM   #1426
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After 70+ yrs I finally have a new and nicely constructed chest of drawers. Most of our furniture has been hand-me-downs or used/antiques. It was delivered to the bedroom where I uncrated it, laid it down on the floor, and did some minor assembly of the legs before moving it to its location. At 200 pounds I had to remove all the drawers so I could lay it on the floor. Even then my body told me later that I was not as strong as I have been in the past. Now to clear the bedroom since I have a place to store things.

Cheers!
Old 08-06-2020, 06:00 AM   #1427

I'm adding a two 3ft x x 9ft panels as an over hang to our metal roof, It will cover the concrete pad I recently added for the grill.
I'm building a support structure with 1-1/2" square aluminum tubing.
Wish me luck! The support structure is a bit compicated. If I make a mistake, at least I can buy more aluminum tube at $48 a stick. :-/
Old 08-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #1428
Give me a forum ...

Hand dug power line in for shallow well pump. I installed pipe and pulled in wire. Been more of a project then I thought it would be.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #1429
Give me a forum ...

Having cancelled three of my 'hit the ground running' trips I scheduled to celebrate recovery of knee replacement, and with the 4th very near being cancelled, I took out a map of my state and have identified a number of places to visit in the national parks, the seashore and the vast interior, that are unexplored by me and seem to be relatively unknown to many in the local population. They should be safe day trips, where I social distance outdoors.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #1430
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday my roofer finished with the roof! He fixed the leaks for $130 last week, and fixed wind damage yesterday for an additional $210. He says the roof should last another 2-5 years. All of this is SO much cheaper than a new roof, so I was off-the-charts happy. This despite having gotten up at 7:30 instead of my usual 10 AM since the roofer wanted to start early in this heat.

Then Frank took me to lunch, and after lunch we went to the boat launch to watch birds. The birds weren't there, so we went on a long, looooooong drive (for an hour or two) through New Orleans. Even though I have lived down here for decades, Frank was born here and he knows about some really interesting places to see so it was fascinating.

"Be a tourist in your own home town" is especially good advice during this pandemic; it cost almost nothing, we were in the car and exposed to nobody, and we had a great time.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #1431
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Having cancelled three of my 'hit the ground running' trips I scheduled to celebrate recovery of knee replacement, and with the 4th very near being cancelled, I took out a map of my state and have identified a number of places to visit in the national parks, the seashore and the vast interior, that are unexplored by me and seem to be relatively unknown to many in the local population. They should be safe day trips, where I social distance outdoors.
Sounds like a great plan!

Along those lines, with my new knee I managed to stand outside the UPS store for 20-30 minutes relatively painlessly a few days ago! (They were only allowing 3 customers in at a time, hence the socially distant wait outside.) Before TKR surgery there was no way I could have done this but my new knee is rock solid now. My old knee is pretty wobbly but the new (replaced) knee is so solid and lightens the load on the other one.

Before surgery I expected to be able to walk better with the new knee, but honestly it never occurred to me that it would make such a difference in just standing there. What a nice surprise.

We were both SO lucky to have our knees replaced last summer, before the pandemic. Much easier and more worry free I would imagine.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #1432
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
After 70+ yrs I finally have a new and nicely constructed chest of drawers. Most of our furniture has been hand-me-downs or used/antiques. It was delivered to the bedroom where I uncrated it, laid it down on the floor, and did some minor assembly of the legs before moving it to its location. At 200 pounds I had to remove all the drawers so I could lay it on the floor. Even then my body told me later that I was not as strong as I have been in the past. Now to clear the bedroom since I have a place to store things.

Cheers!
Good heavens! That must be SOME chest of drawers, to weigh 200 pounds! Whew.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #1433
Moderator Emeritus

Gosh, W2R, it seems like you can make a good time out of very little....new knee and standing a long time! taking an hour long tour of N.O. to see sights not seen before! Fixing your roof!! Putting some miles on that nice, and very low mile, Venza!

Sounds like you have been cooped up too long from this Covid stuff!
Old 08-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #1434

Trimmed the bushes out front with the two-stroke gas powered Stihl hedge trimmer. That Milwaukee battery one is starting to look pretty good, the fumes were really bothering me today. Most of the bushes are in an "inside corner" of the house so unless the wind is blowing pretty good there isn't much air moving there. That Stihl runs fine, starts easy, (most of the time) so I'm hard put to justify buying the battery one. Maybe if we get another stimulus check I'll spring for it.

I was going to cut the back yard but dagnabit, the rain started up again.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #1435
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Gosh, W2R, it seems like you can make a good time out of very little....new knee and standing a long time! taking an hour long tour of N.O. to see sights not seen before! Fixing your roof!! Putting some miles on that nice, and very low mile, Venza!

Sounds like you have been cooped up too long from this Covid stuff!
Well yeah!!! I think you got that right, for sure.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #1436
Administrator

I went out to my garden and staked up the corn that had been flattened by Tropical Storm Isaias. Came home and mowed with law with the bagger to pick up all the leaves that came down on Tuesday. My giant brush and log pile out front was removed by the town yesterday, so we're back to how everything appeared before the storm, except for the slightly damaged porch rail and gutter. I'll probably work on repairing that tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #1437
Give me a forum ...

Put the last (fifth) coat of spar urethane on the planter boxes. They just gleam now!
Old 08-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #1438

I parted ways with physical therapy yesterday. I went in planning to tell them I didn't want to schedule any more sessions, but the therapist beat me to it. We agreed that the stretching exercises I had been doing had done wonders to my hip and posture. With Covid back at all time highs and the fact that the dentist office where I had a tooth extracted a month ago was now in the news for a Covid outbreak convinced me my hip was in better shape than the risks associated with more physical therapy. I'll continue with the stretching exercises on my own.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I parted ways with physical therapy yesterday. I went in planning to tell them I didn't want to schedule any more sessions, but the therapist beat me to it. We agreed that the stretching exercises I had been doing had done wonders to my hip and posture. With Covid back at all time highs and the fact that the dentist office where I had a tooth extracted a month ago was now in the news for a Covid outbreak convinced me my hip was in better shape than the risks associated with more physical therapy. I'll continue with the stretching exercises on my own.
I did this with my shoulders. After surgery on my right shoulder I went to PT. It was helpful of course, but after a few sessions the therapist started having me do a bunch of lower-body exercises with stretchy bands. The sessions started taking a couple hours or more, which was really inconvenient because I was still working. I asked about the lower-body moves a couple times, and the therapist told me they were necessary because people were inactive after surgery. I explained that this didn't really apply to me since I'd started going to the gym as soon as I could drive, and had been doing cardio and whatever other exercises I could. She wouldn't back off though. So after surgery on the other shoulder, I did the PT routines at home on my own. Got all my strength and flexibility back without any problem.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #1440

I did 6 weeks of PT on my shoulder back in Jan-Feb (impingement in my rotator cuff). It really helped and the PT reminded me to keep up with several of the exercises at home. When COVID hit, I got lazy and didn't exercise for a month or two and the pain came right back. I've been disciplined about the exercises (6-7 days/week) for a couple months now and am back to where I was at the end of PT. Moral of the story - don't stop the exercises again!
Closed Thread