Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #1441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I also have put the brakes on PT, despite the fact that it worked very well for me.
I had PT for a very sore back that kept me from walking, bending and enjoying my new artificial knee. But, in March the state shutdown and I decided that as an older high risk person, PT would not be a good idea. I continued the exercises and my back pain is pretty much gone. There is another issue I would like the therapist to look at, and I have been considering going back for a few sessions. But, with the infection rate down only 10% from the all-time high, I don't think that is a good idea.

"Stay the #%^@! away from me, and get off my lawn."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #1442
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

"Stay the #%^@! away from me, and get off my lawn."
Here! Here!
Old 08-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #1443

I was on the Weather Underground website looking at a thunderstorm that had popped up nearby when an ad appeared on the right side of the page. It showed an older guy holding a bent cucumber with the caption, "CURVED ERECTION? YOU MIGHT HAVE PD! LEARN MORE!" OK, made me look. Ouch. Another thing to worry about?
Old 08-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #1444
gone traveling

Bought gas & wine at Costco. Walked 4 miles. Moved a couple of yard plants.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #1445
Recycles dryer sheets

Jumped on my bicycle a 2 hour workout down to the river, then back up, down again, then climbed out and turned for home. 12 miles and 2,300 vertical feet of hot hill climbing.

Got home and started to prep for a few days of camping. Meeting my backpacking kids in the mountains on Monday and Tuesday for a rest day, good hot and fresh meals and resupply. Taking along my mountain bike for some high altitude fire road and single track fun while the kids are resting ... and eating ... and napping.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #1446
Moderator Emeritus

^ nice bike ride.

Today was bike day for me also. But my route probably had 100’ vertical if that. 25 miles on my ebike. Probably equal to 15 on a conventional bike.

Also went grocery shopping with DW and MIL. And to Menards for some woodworking supplies. Now watching the Blackhawks.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:22 PM   #1447
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to the Farmers Market before it reached 100 degrees today. Did a couple of do-good things for others.
I made today a media day for me. I watched NHL, the movies Nicky’s Family (Czech-Slovak) and The King’s Choice (Norway). Next I saw Alive Day - Johnny Joey Jones. A short film about an inspiring Marine who is a double amputee.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #1448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Y"Be a tourist in your own home town" is especially good advice during this pandemic; it cost almost nothing, we were in the car and exposed to nobody, and we had a great time.

We did that today. We have an annual pass to use the trails on the lands owned by one of the local water utilities that we put to good use. We found a new to us hiking trail along a stream lined with some pretty ferns. We saw four deer, including two babies. The water company lands aren't open to the public unless you have a pass, so we didn't run into too many other hikers. Most of the ones we did pass were good about social distancing and wearing masks. Also cost nothing except for gas and what we paid for the annual pass, which was only $10 a year.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #1449
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Got my DD's basic budget. Waiting for DS' then we will sit down and figure out what they need to outlast this Sheltering in Place. Each are applying for multiple jobs but he says up to 1000 are applying for the ones he's after. She painting houses to augment UIB. But that's not doubling it YET
Wishing good luck to your kids in their job searches. Those are tough odds.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #1450
Give me a forum ...

Picked up my dope at the pharmacy, hit the hardware store for some bug spray, picked up my order of wor wonton soup from the restaurant, did some wood planing and varnishing and grilled up some salmon for supper. Then walked the dogs.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #1451
gone traveling

Winn Dixie had a BOGO sale on Rump Roast. I got two and sliced one in six 1" thick pieces, seasoned, bagged and I'm sous vide cooking them. I'm going 18 hrs at 136*F. The recipe said 24 hrs, not sure that slicing it makes much difference, I may pull one out sear it and test, before pulling out the others.

Edit to add, I pulled it out at 18 hrs, I seared a piece and it was very tender. My seasoning was hardly noticible, so I just went with butter, salt and pepper. Plenty of juice to work with also. I have the second one roast cooking now. That means I need to stop the cooking at at 4:30am, I suspect that one will cook for 20 hrs :-)
Old 08-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #1452
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I went out to my garden and staked up the corn that had been flattened by Tropical Storm Isaias. Came home and mowed with lawn with the bagger to pick up all the leaves that came down on Tuesday. My giant brush and log pile out front was removed by the town yesterday, so we're back to how everything appeared before the storm, except for the slightly damaged porch rail and gutter. I'll probably work on repairing that tomorrow.

Yesterday, I reattached the wooden porch rail to the column from which it had been torn loose, toe-nailed all the balusters back into place, then caulked everything. This morning, I painted over all the caulk, then took to the ladder to repair the copper gutter that had been slightly crushed. A 6 inch round disc of wood and a ball peen hammer worked wonders. It is not as perfect as new, but it is fully functional, and once the patina reforms it will be unnoticeable at ground level. My new young neighbors across the street took my bags of leaves to the transfer station for me. So, now we're fully back in commission after the storm.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #1453

Went for a bike ride with DH, stopped by at a friend's house and checked out her vegetable garden. DH removed two big hornworms from one of the tomato plants as my friend was being squeamish. Then DH and I played badminton in our backyard when we got home.

I turned on our gas BBQ grill outside for dinner - I turned on just the first line (out of 4 burners) and opened up the lid to find a mouse trying to frantically get away from the flame!! I screamed and turned off the heat right away. Got DH out to shake the BBQ grill to make sure it had escaped. I was shaken by this experience.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #1454

Brewed beer for the second time this week since the temps are below 90F for a short while. Humidity felt like about 1,000,000%.

Wednesday was an IPA, my always-on-tap beer. Today was a first for me, a Saison.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #1455

Ran the Honda mini-tiller with the dethacher accessory off and on (okay, mostly off) for most of the day. I'd work on it for 45 minutes, take a 30-minute break, then back to it. As the day went on the breaks got longer and the work times got shorter. And that hill down to the woods where I dumped the thatch got steeper as the day wore on. Toward the end there it became more like a mountain. But I got most of it done, I'll finish up tomorrow in about two hours or so.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #1456
Moderator Emeritus

I removed the Wren nest from my garage. Hopefully, they will find a new place to have their young next Spring. It was fun having "company" in the garage near my workbench, but they made a bit of a mess. Easily cleanable though.

I put a Wren birdhouse (Cedar, 1 1/8" opening) in front of the house among the trees. Maybe they will choose this instead of my garage.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #1457

Shipped off a couple Susan B. Anthony proof coins that I sold on eBay. I was surprised at how fast they sold. I also sold a Morgan silver dollar pendant within just a few days of posting. These are a few of the coins that DF gave me over the years. I'm considering selling the many silver coins he gave me, since the price of silver is going up. I guess the thieves that stole the coins from my mom's storage unit had good timing in that respect.

Got DM switched from the Verizon Alcatel flip phone she bought last week and didn't like to a Jitterbug phone. Her vision is poor and she had trouble using the thin black navigation ring on the phone. Verizon finally released her number to GreatCall, and I'll return the Verizon phone on Monday.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #1458
Give me a forum ...

Used my new jackhammer with the clay spade bit. Got the second crape myrtle planted in about 3 hours as opposed to the three days it took before. Thanks to Aja8888 and Ronstar for the suggestion. Now DW is planning on building beds and planting more trees and bushes. So maybe I'm not that thankful after all.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #1459

Worked a shift at the winery. Sold lots of wine. Lifted weights for 30 minutes. Walked the dog. Homemade pizza tonight. Good bottle of wine with our favorite YouTube guy Adventure4WD. Good day.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #1460
Give me a forum ...

Hit the grocery for burgers and buns and picked up a bag of Hatch chilies too. Picked up shrimp in black bean sauce for lunch.

Did some more varnishing, roasted 2 chilies and barbee'd up the best burgers I've had in a long time. Toasted buttered buns, hatch layer on the bottom, burger next, sweet onion on top. So good!