Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #1461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got my sand point water well up and running. It has been an 8 day process waiting for motor and getting the other materials etc. Today I fired it up and of course I didn't have much water but I had plenty in the pipe. Narrowed problem down to an air leak in the bajo cam. I ended up after a temp fix I could run a sprinkle and had a lot of water.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #1462
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Got my sand point water well up and running. It has been an 8 day process waiting for motor and getting the other materials etc. Today I fired it up and of course I didn't have much water but I had plenty in the pipe. Narrowed problem down to an air leak in the bajo cam. I ended up after a temp fix I could run a sprinkle and had a lot of water.
So glad to hear of the progress, Street. I imagine rivers will be flowing soon enough!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:56 AM   #1463
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Used my new jackhammer with the clay spade bit. Got the second crape myrtle planted in about 3 hours as opposed to the three days it took before. Thanks to Aja8888 and Ronstar for the suggestion. Now DW is planning on building beds and planting more trees and bushes. So maybe I'm not that thankful after all.
Glad it worked out! Sorry to hear it created more work for you!
Old 08-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #1464
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Used my new jackhammer with the clay spade bit. Got the second crape myrtle planted in about 3 hours as opposed to the three days it took before. Thanks to Aja8888 and Ronstar for the suggestion. Now DW is planning on building beds and planting more trees and bushes. So maybe I'm not that thankful after all.
Excellent! Good that your DW is thinking of ways to get your money's worth out of that tool. Even if you have to do a "little" more work.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #1465

Listening to church service on line with DS and DGS. Peaceful morning.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #1466

DH and I rode our bikes into Seattle on the Burke Gilman trail. As we set out, we were feeling restroom insecure, but found open restrooms at a couple of parks along the way, whew! Enjoyed some iced mochas in one of the park-like areas on the UW campus then had lunch at one of our favorite places nearby. Looking forward to things getting back to normal on and around campus. I love biking and kayaking around there with all the youthful vitality in the air.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #1467
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ordered up some stuff from Amazon, picked up my order of mu shu shitake and ate it and then fixed the dishwasher.

Wasn't pumping, thought I'd have to get a new one but I fixed it.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #1468

I had heard about the moose calves up the road a few miles. I had seen mama moose, but not the two little ones. Today I saw the "little" ones up close and personal. I was driving along the gravel road doing about 35 mph. They both popped out of the bushes and ran along side of me for a bit. They were easily as tall as my Jeep Wrangler. Even if it was startling to see them, it was great too.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #1469
Gone but not forgotten

Yesterday I went to the dentist for a cleaning . Lot's of precautions in place so I felt safe .
"They took the bait!"
Old 08-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #1470

"They took the bait!"

For the last month or so we've been finding small holes in the ground near the front porch where last year's gopher was busily digging until he was captured and um, "dispatched".

I was pouring topsoil in them, filling it in and replanting grass seed in an effort to plug the holes. For whatever reason I was thinking that the ground was merely subsiding and "filling in" the void left by the gopher every time I watered where I'd put new soil and seed. Then we noticed a neighbor's cat hanging around in the early morning hours staring intently at the spot where the holes were. Making a long story somewhat shorter, yesterday we saw that it wasn't the soil filling in the void, it was the voles that had moved in to the gopher's former residence. "Cool!" they said. "A prebuilt spacious multilevel home for us. Yay!"

A somewhat hurried trip to the computer for some research and a trip to Home Depot was in order. They don't have a lot for voles but they do have mousetraps and poison bait for mice in abundance so that will have to do for now. So I put out some mousetraps and, lacking anything else that the Oracle of Wisdom (i.e., The Internet) said was good, like peanut butter, I cut up a few green seedless grapes and baited the traps with that. Not five minutes passed and one trap had sprung and the hapless vole was wriggling in desperation to escape it's clutches. "Yay!" said DW "We got him!"

He later succumbed to drowning.

I pointed out that we had "got" one and it was doubtful that there was only one. A few hours later my caution was proven correct when I saw another one scurry out from one hole and into another. No other traps were sprung and I named the recently deceased vole "Adventuresome Andy" since he had failed to exercise any caution.

This morning I filled in all the holes again sans seed, just to let me know which ones were active. Sure enough, in a few minutes two were open again, I guess for ventilation. I then cut up some of the poison bait into smaller chunks and pushed them into a couple of the holes and placed one chunk near, but not into, one of the holes just to see if it would later disappear. Several hours later it did. Yay!

On the way back from a Dr. appointment (that's another post) I bought some peanut butter (chunky) for bait. We'll see how that goes and a follow up post will detail the results, if any. I'll forego the pictures though.

I do hope they like Jiff.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #1471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Then we noticed a neighbor's cat hanging around in the early morning hours staring intently at the spot where the holes were.
We once had our back yard plagued by moles, but we had a wonderful cat. The cat would stand on the lawn staring at a nondescript spot in the grass, and I would go out with a pitchfork. When the cat twitched its whiskers, I plunged the pitchfork into the ground. After half a dozen encounters like that, we had no more moles. Time consuming, but very, very effective.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:37 PM   #1472
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We once had our back yard plagued by moles, but we had a wonderful cat. The cat would stand on the lawn staring at a nondescript spot in the grass, and I would go out with a pitchfork. When the cat twitched its whiskers, I plunged the pitchfork into the ground. After half a dozen encounters like that, we had no more moles. Time consuming, but very, very effective.
That’s teamwork!
Old 08-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #1473
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Brewed beer for the second time this week since the temps are below 90F for a short while. Humidity felt like about 1,000,000%.

Wednesday was an IPA, my always-on-tap beer. Today was a first for me, a Saison.
You're making me want to pull the plug and FIRE. Luckily I still have home brewed Weizen, Weizenbock, and Classic American Pilsner that I made during the spring shutdowns. The IPA ran out, but I've been trying a number of commercial ones. Maybe I'll be retired the next time I homebrew.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #1474

Quote:
We once had our back yard plagued by moles, but we had a wonderful cat.
I was commenting to DW this morning that growing up neither one of us ever had any of those issues with gophers, moles, voles, or any of those pest-type critters, except maybe crickets. Then it dawned on me - growing up, both of us had dogs and cats running around.

And a couple of the cats were pretty good at catching crickets too.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #1475
Moderator Emeritus

This is why I like this place - great mole and vole stories.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #1476
Recycles dryer sheets

Met up with the kids near Mammoth Mtn CA. Went on a nice 5 mile hike with them to Rainbow Falls and Devils Post Pile.

Kids are doing an epic three week backpacking trip on the John Muir Trail and this is a mid-trek resupply. Sending them off tomorrow with full stomachs and supplies to hike into Yosemite Valley.

Oh and for the first time and in honor of my son who is moving to Madison Wisconsin, making “Hot Dish” to go along with the tri Tip, salad and French bread on the menu.

Wish me luck. Us west coast people don’t know anything about hot dish casserole so am hoping it comes out good.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #1477
Administrator

Quote:
Our first cat was the angel of death for the local rodent population. He had been sleeping rough for several years before he moved in with us and he was particularly good at hunting his own food. Every single day, he would come back to the patio with a chipmunk, ground squirrel, mouse, mole, etc in his mouth. He would show it to us so that we would praise him for being such a fearsome hunter. Then he would proceed to eat the entire thing - fur, bones and all, except a small packet of viscera. Heaven help the person who tried to take his catch away from him. The one and only time I ever saw him back down was with a marmot who was as big as he was. They both just laid on the grass facing each other.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #1478

I trimmed back the ceanothus since it's not blooming right now. Noticed that spotted spurge is appearing in the back yard. Debating on whether to hit it with chemicals or try solarization. Or perhaps both.

Went to the local Asian store and picked up ingredients for tosa dipping sauce, then changed the oil in my Subaru. Time for a cold one!
Old 08-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #1479

Also yesterday I had an AM appointment with the dermatologist, follow-up for the melanoma stuff. He froze off three different spots on my face/neck, and driving home I was thinking about what a difference having health insurance makes. I never gave a thought to what the cost of that procedure might be because between Medicare and the insurance I won't see a bill. And what the Dr. did yesterday may well have prevented a cancer that would have killed me. In and out of the office in 20-30 minutes.

I think we can declare success with the voles. Filled in the holes this morning and they remain undisturbed. RIP.

A few days ago idly perusing videos on youtube I watched a review of the small Honda tiller that I have although mine is an earlier model. The guy mentioned greasing the gear case and I was thinking "gear case?" "Greasing?" "I'm suppose to grease it?" Yup, turns out it was there in the manual all along, grease it every 25 hours.

Well, that tiller might actually have 25 hours on it by now even though it's probably 25 years old. You can tell it doesn't get a lot of use. So I ordered the little rubber-tip grease gun fitting and finally greased the gear case today. It sure did take a lot of grease. Everything came apart relatively easily thanks to my habit of using either grease or 90-weight gear oil on the shafts to keep them from rusting. They're hardened steel and I knew that if I didn't I'd sure be sorry.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #1480
Administrator

We went out to our garden plot today to discover that someone had come in late yesterday evening or early this morning and helped themselves to some of our tomatoes. I don't mind the tomatoes, because we have many plants and we're happy to share. I do mind that they stepped in my freshly planted bed of fall peas to get to the tomatoes. There is a path on the other side of the plants that they easily could have used instead.