Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #1501

USDA Prime filet mignons for dinner today. Or is it filets mignon?

DW did three half marathons last week, bringing her total to 78 total and 47 states. This was her celebration, since she is so close to her 50 state goal and she had three very good performances. I'm just her support crew, but I had a good time too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2020, 03:13 PM   #1502

DW wanted to cut some deadwood with the chainsaw to clear a path through the woods down to the creek so we did that this morning. Or more accurately I did it while she supervised. Then rebuilt two of the hose bibs using the kits from Menards and that went better than expected, except that on one of them I ended up using a 3/8" drive impact wrench (gently!) to get the handle off by working the rusted screw/bolt back and forth a half-dozen times before it broke loose. Mowed half of the "back forty", the other half didn't need it. Ordered three more of the hose bib kits, two for the other two hose bibs and one to keep as a spare, and five handles. The two handles that I took off are cracked and I'm going to assume the other two are also, and I want one whole spare kit to have on hand.

I'm taking the rest of the day off.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #1503
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chatted with my Vanguard guy for a while. Unrelated I received an email from my attorney on Megacorp's lawsuit. Apparently funds have been distributed to Fidelity and they will be contacting the individual claimants. I'm not sure why Fidelity is involved as they weren't involved in any way prior. 1

Doesn't matter it's lost money coming home. There's more on the way too! One person, a friend who has told me more than I should know, was awarded the maximum amount requested and now its being appealed. Hopefully these keep getting ruled the same way and a group settlement is reached, this year would be great tax wise.

Went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and had lunch outside. Now sous vide Buffalo Wings are calling.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #1504
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
USDA Prime filet mignons for dinner today. Or is it filets mignon?
Maybe neither? What do the French say?

If the French actually use a plural form for this word, then it would be filets mignon, because filet is a noun while mignon is an adjective.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #1505
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

If the French actually use a plural form for this word, then it would be filets mignon, because filet is a noun while mignon is an adjective.
Just call it Chateaubriand.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 08-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #1506
Administrator

Today, I went to my garden and picked some tomatoes, corn and okra. I used the tomatoes, plus others collected over the past several days, to make and can more tomato jam. We ate the corn for dinner and froze the okra for later use in gumbo. I received my new wall clock and outside thermometer and installed them both.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #1507
Give me a forum ...

I made us bean sprout egg rolls and deep fried them and they were almost as good as home.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #1508
Give me a forum ...

Went to ranch and irrigated the tree nursery. Got some thing ready for archery season which opens in a few weeks.
I came home and dismantled 80 feet of 6 foot high cedar fence. I saved all the 1x6x72 inch cedar boards.
I might use them as cedar siding for the cabin. Packed them half way up to the cabin and at sometime pack them the rest of the way.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #1509
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Darn! It's been almost 50 years since I had to write anything in French. My memory has deteriorated badly.

In French, the adjective has to match the noun that it is attached to. When the noun is in plural form, so must be the adjective. This means if a plural form exists, it has to be "filets mignons".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #1510
Administrator

Je pense que vous parlez juste. Ceci est une example. https://lecoupdegrace.ca/recette/fil...-et-au-whisky/
Old 08-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #1511
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Je pense que vous parlez juste. Ceci est une example. https://lecoupdegrace.ca/recette/fil...-et-au-whisky/
You mean "un exemple".

I read and was able to understand all on that Web page. One does not lose the reading comprehension as quickly as the ability to speak or to write. It's because your memory is jogged as you read.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #1512
Give me a forum ...

And here's something interesting.

Quote:
Filet mignon is a steak cut of beef taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin, or psoas major of the cow carcass, usually a steer or heifer. In French, this cut is always called filet de bœuf, as filet mignon refers to pork tenderloin....

Old 08-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #1513
Administrator

Quote:
You mean "un exemple".

I read and was able to understand all on that Web page. One does not lose the reading comprehension as quickly as the ability to speak or to write. It's because your memory is jogged as you read.
Ahh, je suis désolé. It is indeed exemple, but I do believe that it is feminine.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #1514
Give me a forum ...

Well, French nouns that end with an e are usually feminine, but exemple is an exception. It's always the numerous exceptions that get you.

About that Web page that you shared, the author meant the filet mignon as a beef steak, and not a pork filet as the genuine French meaning.

I looked closer at that Web page, and ah ha, filet mignon means beef to a French Canadian, same as it is to an American. Mystery solved.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #1515
Administrator

Quote:
Well, French nouns that end with an e are usually feminine, but exemple is an exception. It's always the numerous exceptions that get you.

About that Web page that you shared, the author meant the filet mignon as a beef steak, and not a pork filet as the genuine French meaning.

I looked closer at that Web page, and ah ha, filet mignon means beef to a French Canadian, same as it is to an American. Mystery solved.
Yes, I have always heard it referred to as filet de boeuf.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #1516

Put the Honda tiller in "rocky soil mode" and began tilling the dirt (I won't give it the honorific of "soil") beside the south-facing wall of the shed. Nothing has ever grown there in part because it's full of rocks - I hauled three buckets of them down to the woods - and partly because the sunlight reflects off the white siding and onto the ground there. I'm not sure this will do any good but I'm going to try planting grass there. I also tilled in 1.5 cubic feet of Scott's topsoil. Today was only about halfway through the area I want to till.

Also today the installers almost finished installing the hardwood floor in the family room that DW has wanted for quite a while. We were about to have it done when the COVID stuff started, then we decided that while more is known, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight anytime soon. We just stayed in other parts of the house while they were there. There is one more special piece of trim to install and that is done.

No sooner than the hardwood floor is done and DW decides to go to Lowes and get an area rug to cover it up. Some things I have given up trying to understand.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #1517
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Had the batteries (2) in my diesel truck replaced - they were 59 months old and at least one of them suddenly would no longer hold a charge overnight. No sign of impending failure - worked fine until they didn't. Should have replaced them at the 4 year mark but when I had them tested last fall both were "good".

I had a bit of difficulty finding them in stock. None of the three nearest Walmart stores had them and while the the three auto supply stores I checked did have them, they were all house brands that I'm not familiar with.

Ended up purchasing them online from a chain called "Batteries+Bulbs" and requesting they be installed when I picked them up. Interesting experience. I parked in front of their storefront and two chubby guys in their 20's who look like they live in their mom's basement came out, blinking at the sunlight, and installed them.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #1518
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ended up purchasing them online from a chain called "Batteries+Bulbs" and requesting they be installed when I picked them up. Interesting experience. I parked in front of their storefront and two chubby guys in their 20's who look like they live in their mom's basement came out, blinking at the sunlight, and installed them.
I recently bought 2 type 31 batteries for the switch engine from them. The guy who took them to our car must have been the brother of one of your helpers.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #1519
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I recently bought 2 type 31 batteries for the switch engine from them. The guy who took them to our car must have been the brother of one of your helpers.
Yep, I think they primarily employ technerds folks with tech backgrounds based on what they told me while they did my install. Much of what they sell and install are batteries for key fobs, cell phones, watches and all kinds of other tech devices. But they also have batteries for golf carts, cars, RV's and trucks.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #1520

I almost ordered a jackhammer and clay spade bit from Amazon but then decided to buy it from Home Depot even though they were a couple of bucks higher. The reason is they are easier to deal with if I have to return it for any reason and I'd get it a week sooner. I'm not going to be drilling concrete; instead it's West Virginia shale rocks in the back yard. I was using a digging stick this morning to break that stuff loose and I'm thinking the jackhammer will be less work. I hope....