Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 03:33 PM   #1561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
With regard to the antibody test, be aware that, if you did have COVID, your body typically only produces antibodies that last about 2 months, maybe 3 months at most. So, if you get a negative test result, it basically only means that you have not had COVID within the last few months - not that you never had it. I was not aware of that when I had the test done.
I've read about that in the news. Maybe no antibodies, but T-cells poised to make more if necessary. Looks like at least one company is working on a test for T-cell readiness:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...tion-screening

Quote:
James Hindley, Ph.D., is the Executive Director at Indoor Biotechnologies in Cardiff in Wales, and the work is underway in collaboration with Martin Scurr, Ph.D., a research associate at Cardiff University’s School of Medicine.

Working with the team at Indoor Biotechnologies, Dr. Hindley and Dr. Scurr are developing a new type of test that can show if someone has developed specific T cells to SARS-CoV-2.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 05:47 PM   #1562
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DS' cellphone slipped out of his pants pocket and into the toilet last week, so we delivered my backup phone for him to use until he decides on a replacement. We timed our arrival to take him out to lunch and then DW and I played 9-holes at a nearby Donald Ross course.

Then stopped by Home Depot for a dehumidifier for the basement, the car wash to wash the truck and the creemee (aka soft serve) stand for a baby chocolate creemee on a sugar cone.

Then stopped in and visisted with Mom.

Got home and had an email that my Fire TV Recast had been delivered to the mailbox... but it is nowhere to be found. Texted the mailman and he texted back that he'll deliver it tomorrow.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #1563

We didn't do a doggone thing all day in celebration of being retired and it's Monday. Well, that's as good a reason as any, and we've had a slow steady rain all day.

I'll bet the local farmers are doing cartwheels, we weren't in a drought but it was getting there.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #1564

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
I've read about that in the news. Maybe no antibodies, but T-cells poised to make more if necessary. Looks like at least one company is working on a test for T-cell readiness:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...tion-screening
Thanks for the article, it was interesting. I have been waiting for a T-cell test for COVID to be developed, and if such a test ever becomes available to the public, I will be anxious to have it done. I'm quite certain I had COVID-19 back in early March, but there is no way to know right now, unfortunately. I did have the antibody test done, about 4 months after I was sick, and the result was negative. Now I know that that result is basically meaningless, because whatever antibodies I may have had were likely gone by then.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Texted the mailman and he texted back that he'll deliver it tomorrow.

You can text your mailman? Is this a new USPS service or do you know him better than most of us know ours?
Old 09-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #1566
Administrator

Went to the tire store today to address a slow leak in one of my tires. Turns out there was a puncture in the sidewall (i.e. - can't be repaired) and it is AWD, so I bought four new tires.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #1567
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Currently watching CalFire aircraft circling the house and making fire retardant drops. Modest size wildfire about 1/2 mile from the house. Two tankers, helicopter and a spotter plane are working the fire. Cannot see what equipment and manpower is on the ground.

Just got a alert from the Sherrif’s office alert for a potential evacuation.
Praying that you and yours and your property will be safe from the Fire.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #1568
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a small breakfast. Tried to keep the portion small since I put on some weight due to staying at home more since the Pandemic. Practiced the piano. Machine washed a load of laundry, hung clothes on a line to dry in the sun. Spoiled my dog and cat. Another very pleasant day in ER.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #1569
Moderator Emeritus

Awakened around 10 AM, got up, drank my coffee, and lazily browsed the internet.

Frank came over with his laundry, which he has been doing over here since his washer broke. We had a good time talking while it washed.

Then, off to lunch at our favorite restaurant. We split a large grilled chicken Caesar salad. With tax and tip, $6 each.

After lunch we went to the boat launch to watch the birds. Glory Hallelujah, they are BACK! We have hardly seen any in weeks, maybe due to the heavy rains. But today is sunny with 0% chance of rain, and dozens of seagulls were doing an aerobatic version of daredevil synchronized swimming, just to entertain us. A pelican joined in, and a family of 10 ducks swiftly swam by below them while we watched.

Then, home again. I added up my August spending, then fell asleep and had a nice long nap while listening to youtube. So far today I haven't even had a minute available to play my low stress video game (Animal Crossing). Guess I can do that tonight.

I tell you it's a rough life, being retired! But somebody's got to do it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #1570

Spent a couple of hours at the local hospice repairing wheelchairs and walkers. Went to Autozone to pick up gas stabilizer for my generator. Picked up DW's prescription. Came home and added the stabilizer to the gas can and the generator. Ran the generator to circulate the stabilizer.

Final run was to local gourmet restaurant to pick up a specialty pizza we ordered YUM.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #1571
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a walk, took DW out for breakfast, photoshopped out some obstacles from niece's wedding photo, researched options for my upcoming Ford Bronco purchase, cleaned my truck interior, ordered updated nav system map for the truck, grilling sausages for dinner, then some tv.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #1572
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Went to the tire store today to address a slow leak in one of my tires. Turns out there was a puncture in the sidewall (i.e. - can't be repaired) and it is AWD, so I bought four new tires.
Wow, expensive slow leak. Some tire stores will grind down a new tire to match the other three.

https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...ll-four-tires/
Old 09-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #1573

Ran to Lowe's and our local grocery store with DH. Came home and planted some perennial grass in a new sunny backyard area. I also planted some mums and threw out summer flowers.

After lunch I went over and walked with my Mom, it was finally cool enough to do this during the day. Swam laps with DH and then made dinner which included fresh bruschetta made with homegrown tomatoes, very tasty. No wonder we are so tired at night.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #1574

Drove all the way down to Costco for a battery for the Jeep. The old one suddenly died a couple of days ago. That's a long drive to save $40 or $50, but I picked up a few other items while there so I don't feel terribly bad about being so frugal.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #1575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I think you were looking for the "Blow that Dough" thread, no?
The News is (almost) Out
Old 09-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #1576

The News is (almost) Out

In my biweekly Teams meeting with my boss this afternoon I broke the news to him that I will be retiring effective 12/31/20. The rest of the team will be informed later this week.

He took it pretty well, especially considering that one of my coworkers recently announced his retirement effective this month. I have been in the department for 25 years, and my coworker has been there for 27 years. Another coworker retired in March of this year; she had 20 years' service. The "old guard" is turning it over to the young'uns.

My boss said he is very happy for me (I believe he is sincere) and he thanked me for giving him four months' notice, so he can plan how to move forward. They will either "redistribute" my duties among existing staff, or reconfigure my position and hire someone new. This is SOP when someone leaves; for example I inherited all the duties of my coworker who left in March. Several people (including my boss) remarked at the time that they appreciated how gracefully (haha!) I took on the new duties, and how they appreciated my flexibility. It's easy to be "graceful" and "flexible" when you know you're getting out in 9 months.

This is our busiest time of the year, and it is important to me to wrap up the year and "put it to bed" so to speak. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I will turn 65 in December, and thus officially join the medicare gang. The full pension is available at age 65 to those with 25 years of service, so the stars/milestones aligned this year.

It is not an "early" retirement by any definition, but I will definitely be FI, and that's good enough for me!
Old 09-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #1577
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
In my biweekly Teams meeting with my boss this afternoon I broke the news to him that I will be retiring effective 12/31/20.
Congratulations in advance! I am truly happy for you.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #1578

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Congratulations in advance! I am truly happy for you.
Thank you so much!

I feel absolutely giddy tonight, which is a surprise. I am not normally a giddy person. If I feel this good now, I can only imagine how free I will feel on 1/1/21.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #1579
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Thank you so much!

I feel absolutely giddy tonight, which is a surprise. I am not normally a giddy person. If I feel this good now, I can only imagine how free I will feel on 1/1/21.
It's going to be GREAT.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:58 PM   #1580
Give me a forum ...

Moved into new condo a week or two ago. Now trying to get house ready to sell. Hard work for geezers. DS is almost moved out. We are projecting listing by Sept 10 or so. Local mkt is hot.

The sunsets in our new digs are spectacular! Photos will be forthcoming after we get the old place listed.

An inheritance and buying the new condo sank my grand no-tax-forever plan. Darn.