Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #141
Administrator

I broke out all my seed catalogs and entered my order for the coming gardening season. About $200 worth of seed. Then I made up my planting calendar (when to start indoors under lights, when to transplant out, when to direct sow, etc.) The garden opens on April 1 and I'm looking forward to another great year of growing vegetables.

I'll start the artichoke seed in about 3 weeks. I am trying to overwinter the ones I planted last year; the new seedlings are just in case that doesn't work. If the old ones come back as hoped, I'll just give the new seedlings to my fellow gardeners. They were all very curious when I put in artichokes last year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What did you do today? - 2020 version
Old 01-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? - 2020 version

I got called on to give expert testimony on an eminent domain case that started while I was still working. So I took the train in to Chicago today to meet the lawyer and get our ducks in a row. Work is exactly how I remember it. Not nearly as much fun as not working. Then to MIL’s to move her furniture back after getting new floor tile.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to the ranch haven't been there for a week because of the terriable cold spell. It was a beautiful day and will be for the next 10 days. I hiked, cut wood, split and hauled up to cabin. I sledded to cut wood up with a hand pulled sled. Great exercise for me. Had a nice fire going eat lunch in paradise.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had the black garlic ramen at Ramen 101 and noticed a dim-sum shop next door with the line out the door. After lunch I looked again and they had a sign that said frozen dumplings 50 fir $35, so I bought a bag. Dunno what they are, but we'll find out tonight!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:19 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It bugs me that different countries have different sign languages! Wouldn't someone have said, "Hey, let's all use the same signs for words!" For example, why can't this sign for "hungry" be the same in all languages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
OH what a disappointment! This whole time I have been wondering if sign language isn't the universal language that Esperanto was supposed to be. So many of the signs about physical things are intuitive, like "elevator" is one hand straight up and the other hand makes a fist and goes up the length of the straight hand. Why would that have to be different in Spanish?
That's new to me too.

It appears people can never agree on anything, even something as innocuous as sign language. People will always say "But my way is better than your way, and you would better do as I do".

But I should not be surprised at this. I should be grateful no war has broken out over this sign language difference.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Driving all day today, and had great traffic most of the way. However, the last 10 miles of NC (southbound) took us an hour and a half. Stop and creep traffic. Usually when we sit in that kind of traffic we get to the end of it and there's nothing there. Very frustrating. Today, though, we finally got to the front and there were a ton of cops, fire trucks, etc. And there was a bulldozer pushing debris out of the road. And there was a semi truck and about a quarter of the trailer on a tow truck, and another quarter of the trailer on another tow truck. The rest of it was in a burnt pile on the highway. I don't know what they were hauling or how it caught on fire, but it burnt hot. Melted metal and cinders. What a mess. I hope the driver was OK. But this time at least we knew there was good reason for the massive delay.

I've never been so happy to see South of the Border.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #147

Upgraded my 2nd half of a B2B cruise in March. Prefer balconies. Then made a pot of vegetable stew. Discovered it's easier to make a batch for 4 and put aside (freeze) 3. Feels great having a good option set aside when I get in from the symphony late.

Still plan on buying bc the SF Philharmonic tickets ..... just not sure which night
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #148
Full time employment: Posting here.

Usual morning coffee/e-mail/social media then some packing of wiring kits in the basement. Trip to the post office to ship it, then off with the pups on a 1.6 mile hike on packed snow 20 degree weather at our town's Rural Land Trust parcel. Back home and then some shop time doing some vintage intake manifold restoration. Back inside to do a bit of housework, the off the healthclub for racquetball. Grocery store stop on the way home to pick up ingredients to make lasagna tomorrow, then picked up some take out mac and cheese......
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #149

Flew back Monday from my first trip to New Orleans. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Today I went to visit my 99-year old friend (120 miles away) at her ALF. She was doing well and still recovering from the effects of a medication they gave her for 2 weeks after it had been discontinued because the side effects put her into the hospital for 3 days and rehab for 20 days (stayed with her all that time). The staff failed to reconcile the new med list she brought from rehab with her electronic med list from before her trip to the hospital and rehab. I made sure the 'bad' med was not on her hand-written orders from rehab but it never occurred to me to audit what meds they were giving her after a few days back at the ALF. I could kick myself!

I believe they have shortened her life because she lost 7 pounds during the two weeks they restarted the medication. The medicine negatively affects her appetite (among other things) which is deadly for someone that is 99 years old and now weighs only 103.5 pounds. Thank god I found the error or she would have most likely been dead by the end of this month.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #150

Ice fishing and worked on a buggy spring chair for the ranch cabin.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #151

We went bar hopping in Nashville last night. I spoke with the lead singer of one of the bands we saw between sets and we ended up talking about gear...he has the same bass as me. He called me up to the stage the next set and I played a couple songs with the band.

So now I can say I played in Nashville...
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #152

Painted over the patches for the old vertical blind holders for the basement sliding glass door, installed the new curtain rod holders for the new blinds (the old vertical blinds that worked fine for 17 years would NEVER do, according to DW) and sometime later today will put up the new curtains.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Tested out my new micro spikes on an icy hike at Starved Rock State Park. Then went to the chiropractor. Now whipping up fish (for DW) and pork chops (for me) in the sous vide.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

We took F's Murano to the repair shop a few blocks away to let them replace his headlight, which burned out. Normally he would have done it himself, but didn't feel up to it to this time because he's a bit under the weather.

Living next door to one another is so convenient at times like this; I was able to follow him over, bring him back home, and take him back when it was done, without all this taking more than a few minutes away from our day. And, he didn't have to walk over there in the (relatively) cold weather, while sick.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Tested out my new micro spikes on an icy hike at Starved Rock State Park. Then went to the chiropractor.
It sure sounds like there's a story missing in between those two sentences....
Old 01-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #156
Administrator

We went to see the movie "1917". It was really impressively done, and I can see why it is in the running for Best Picture.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It sure sounds like there's a story missing in between those two sentences....
Ha! On paper it does look like there's a missing story. But the Chiro appt was for a pre-existing condition - a back twinge. Microspikes didn't cause any problems - yet.

This kind of behavior could cause some problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice climbing 2.jpg (932.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Replaced my PagePlus smartphone today as they said the old one would soon be obsolete. I'd ordered a new one from them but called to have it activated. After a half hour of dinking around they declared that it must have a bad SIM card, so I headed off to a local phone shop to buy a new one. The guy at the counter looked at my phone and pointed out that it was now working. Evidently it takes a while between when they (PagePlus) push the magic button and when Verizon actually recognizes the phone.

Hopefully I'm good for another couple of years before they yank the rug out from under me again.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Put up several pegboards in the garage to hang tools above the workbench. Then filled about half the space.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #160

Worked out this afternoon. Hotel/resort gyms are notoriously lacking if you want free weights. Usually you only get dumbbells (if you're lucky) and the heaviest ones are just "warm up weight". So I had to make do with a light workout.

We're heading out tonight for a couple hours of bar hopping but will be taking it easy and coming back early as we have a long drive tomorrow (1300 kms) as we head home.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote