Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #1581

Mowed the front & sides of the yard, took a nap, and then just as I was preparing to mow the rest it started raining. So I took another nap and then ate lunch.

The new electric jackhammer arrived today from Home Depot and I got to briefly play with it between rain showers. That is going to be soooo much easier than a digging stick! Wish I'd bought it years ago, but I don't know if they even made them that affordable then. Unfortunately the clay spade shovel bit didn't make it in the same delivery but hopefully that will show up tomorrow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 10:41 PM   #1582
Recycles dryer sheets

Received a phone call from my best friend of over 30 years. She’d already passed the 5 year mark cancer free. She called to tell me it’s back. Looks like we have some fun to be had and things to be said. She’s in AZ so time to travel when the heat breaks. (I hate desert thermals!)
Old 09-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #1583
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cleaned up after the dogs this morning and one came in. The nearly blind Maltese walked around exploring the fenced in area. When I came in I saw the neighborhood buck come walking over and he noticed the dog. Afraid of the blind dog at first but curiosity soon had it right up to the fence before the buck ran into the canyon. Unfortunately the dog never saw it.

DW had an appointment and I watered the flower beds and made chili, it's cooling down before dinner. Washed the vehicle and tried some no rinse product. I think it's a great idea for part of the year. Enjoying a cup of coffee before starting some cornbread to go with the chili.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #1584
Administrator

We picked our first watermelon from the garden (Black Diamond). We're having BLT's for dinner, with watermelon for dessert.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:03 PM   #1585
Give me a forum ...

Got my old storage bench salvaged from the deck up on pressure treated 4x6's and am almost done with removing the top panels and screwing and gluing them back on.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #1586
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA View Post
Received a phone call from my best friend of over 30 years. She’d already passed the 5 year mark cancer free. She called to tell me it’s back. Looks like we have some fun to be had and things to be said. She’s in AZ so time to travel when the heat breaks. (I hate desert thermals!)
I'm sorry about your friend. I hope you have some good times with her.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #1587
Dryer sheet aficionado

Been lurking since I first joined and introduced myself, but this seems a good thread to hop back in on.

Changed the oil in our car, worked 2 hours for our landlord (biweekly, discount on rent) and did 2 weeks' worth of laundry while I was at it (free laundry!). Took the car to the shop to get brakes taken care of. Did some internet gig stuff and spent time in the garden.

EDIT: I only just realized this thread was in the life after FIRE section. That does not yet apply to me. Woops!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:32 PM   #1588

Picked up a couple of used Hobie pedal kayaks that I bought online. Once again impressed with the hauling capabilities of our Honda Odyssey. A 12-foot and 10-foot kayak inside which was great as there was a great thunderstorm on the way home. Also picked up 10 rolls of sod and some groceries. Looking forward to getting the boats in the water tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #1589
Recycles dryer sheets

Can I find out more about this internet gig stuff? Always curious to find side gigs in ER/regular R.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #1590
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is a Saturday. I have cut the grass and am going to do the trash, go to grandfather's house to handle some overdue chores (haven't been able to be in his apartment for quite some time because of covid), stop by aunt's house to pick up something. May want to do the laundry but it can wait.

Did all the above except the laundry. The streets are busy as hell so I am going to do the laundry tomorrow. I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some chicken and sparkling water. Not going to do the grill like everyone during this labor day weekend. Just something for Sept.

Hopefully my grandfather doesnt get covid but oh well at age of 95 it's either covid or cough to death from the dusty room.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #1591
Give me a forum ...

kids and grands will be here for lunch, so will be cleaning and prepping the house and food soon.
We have all isolated this whole time, except for SIL (self employed arborist, so spends the day up in trees) and DS (teacher) so low risk exposures. And everyone wears masks when out, even 4 yr old DGS--he does great with it!
Old 09-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #1592
Recycles dryer sheets

In So Cal its going to be 114°F today. I am not doing anything.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #1593

Just had to glue a crown back in. 1st time I've done it myself. I'd go to the dentist's but it's Saturday of the Labor Day weekend (will go Tuesday)
Old 09-05-2020, 02:24 PM   #1594

Weather here in PA is fantastic. I power washed a lot of the sidewalk last night and this morning-lots of moss and algae. It was to the point of pain. I started spraying algaecide on the dry sidewalk squares but my forearms and hands gave out. I plan to swim and enjoy the hot tub tonight. DH is being a pain today. Oh well.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #1595
Administrator

I made Oaxacan Lamb Barbacoa yesterday. First time, it was pretty good. DW liked it, which is always a good sign. The recipe needs some work, but it was a good start on a recipe I’d been thinking about for some time.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #1596

Picked basil leaves for the second time this season. DW will be processing the leaves into pesto this evening. Will pick a final time probably in late September or when the weather forecast includes possible frost.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #1597

Hot hot hot today on the West Coast. Lousy air quality too.

Got out early morning for a couple hour work out on my bicycle climbing gravel roads, followed by an hour in the gym on the elliptical machine. Afterwards wife and I met up at the Costco for groceries. Now inside in air conditioning at home enjoying a yummy Costco chicken and a cool drink.
Christmas in September
Old 09-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #1598

Christmas in September

I spotted gold bullion in the wild (eg, Walgreens) this evening for the first time anywhere since March. Pictorial evidence is below.

The 8 oz. bottles were only 2.99 and the travel size bottle was 1.99. There was no limit - the young cashiers said they have had it in stock for some time. Obviously I need to get out more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Germex.jpg (65.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I spotted gold bullion in the wild (eg, Walgreens) this evening for the first time anywhere since March. Pictorial evidence is below.

The 8 oz. bottles were only 2.99 and the travel size bottle was 1.99. There was no limit - the young cashiers said they have had it in stock for some time. Obviously I need to get out more!
One of my friends can't stand the gel type hand sanitizer. I guess rubbing alcohol or wet wipes are valid choices too but for mobility the gel type is really convenient.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #1600
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday we celebrated the marriage of our daughter and her new husband. Due to Covid, they were unable to have the wedding they planned. After the fourth postponement, we had an intimate church ceremony and a reception in the back yard. Big celebration to follow next Summer, God Willing! My heart goes out to all of the couples that had to change or postpone their wedding plans.
Closed Thread