Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #1681
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I cut each other's hair. Until this is over, the more we can do ourselves the better. Poor DH, he was terrified he was going to mess it up. He did a fabulous job and I had our fave champagne chilled to celebrate .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #1682

I usually start my day with two cups of coffee while I peruse email and the internet.
Then I go for a 3 to 5 mile walk, however after the rain from Sally I walked in the back door of the garage barfoot and slipped, I got a minor sprain of my big toe, with a few other tender spots. I continued walking for several days but because of my toe, I walk different on that foot and now have other muscle pains, I'm taking today off, maybe more!
Then with all the rain from Sally water was coming down through our stove vent. A new metal roof was put on two years ago and had problems with that vent from the beginning. The company came out and squirted some sealer on it and as they left, I said I'll call again when it leaks. The next day fter some work with the hose up on the roof, I concuded it was not the vent, it was a seam between to of the metal sheets. Water went in the seem and came out at the vent. Rather than have the company do a minimalist job, I removed a dozen or more screws from the roof and put a bead of sealer in the overlap of the metal sheets from the ridge to the vent.
Today I'll run the hose and see if I have it fixed. If I do, I'll have to crawl back into the attic and reinstall the vent pipe that I had to remove to get a bucket under the leak.
The bucket was too late to prevent a ceiling stain. So, that is also on the repair list.

I also planted seeds in rock wool for installation in my just completed vertical hydroponic growing tube. Did all the pH adjustment and have about 8 different seeds in the rock wool. I also set up a heater for under the seed tray. I used a waterbed heater I've been storing for years. I had to tame it so it kept the seeds near 80*F without over heating. Even though I'm in Fl. it's very late in the season, but I want to get a little experience before spring. We also have a greenhouse, so, I'll probably put it in there.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #1683
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got home from the eye surgeon, (yes, on a Sunday); vision in 'shingles eye' (geez, it's been four years now), is apparently getting 'cloudier' due to formation of a cataract behind the shingles, (least I think that's where it is).

Being a "Git 'er done" type when it comes to ops I chose the ASAP option. (If there is a vague possibility of Spring travel I don't want to be in the OR when it could be happening.)

A further appointment for 'measurements', etc, will be forthcoming shortly.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 09-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #1684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
A further appointment for 'measurements', etc, will be forthcoming shortly.
Get ready for an experience.
When I went in for my "measurements" prior to cataract surgery I was astounded at the number of them I had to endure. And with several different machines as well. The technician was surprised at my surprise, since she deals with that every day, but I was really impressed.

By contrast, the actual surgery takes only about 15 minutes.

Probably the most difficult thing about the whole process is the regimen of eye drops you have to follow before and after the procedure.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #1685
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Get ready for an experience.
Thanks for the heads up.....I'm sure it'll be an eye opener.

(I'm taking drops at least 3 times a week now for the shingles, so I may have a head start.)

Old 09-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #1686

For months DW has been wanting to plant grass seed in a bare spot at the back of the back yard where the woods begin. Nothing grows there because it's in constant deep shade from trees, and I explained that it was unlikely that even "dense shade mix" grass seed would grow there. Nonetheless, she wanted to plant the seed, so that's what we did. Some things you do simply "because she wants to". Married guys understand this. No one will be more surprised than me if it sprouts. This was not a major undertaking, it might have taken 20 minutes if that.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #1687
Administrator

Domestic harmony is worth a fair amount of grass seed.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #1688
Give me a forum ...

Chopped up some pork for the gal to make a batch of stewp. Made bread yesterday, then a batch of Roquefort dressing this morning that is just killer, but never seems to last. Took some to the guy who showed me his method and will take a batch to my sister, along with the bread and a batch of triple ginger cookies I just baked. Did a 1.5 mile walk as it was cool and clear of smoke - our first walk in two weeks due to the air quality/smoke. Bailed out of the walk at 1.5 as I was out of breath - scary, but my temp is sub-normal, I can smell stuff, and I was sneezing, so I'm going for a cold rather than Covid. Pretty afternoon, so we'll be sociably distant for dinner.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #1689
Give me a forum ...

I really like reading all your posts. We are as free as the birds to do what ever we want to do.

Today I went bow hunting in the morning and beautiful morning to watch the sun come up. I finished a carving and mowed the grass. A great day in paradise.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #1690
Gone but not forgotten

Went to Lazy Boy for a red leather recliner . I found the perfect one to replace my old one in about five minutes . Saleswoman tried to show me others but no go . This is what I want .She should have been glad for a quick sale and stopped .
Old 09-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #1691
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to eat in one of our favorite Mexican restaurants yesterday. On the way back swung by Costco for gas and to pick up some batteries. My DW saw someone with a buggy which had some paper towels so we SCORED! We haven't been there at the right time to get those since march.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #1692

In the morning DW and I worked together to write a recipe for easy Matzo Balls. We made these Saturday night based on another person's recipe the we modified to make more sense. We then posted it along with pictures on a sister site to this on, called Discuss Cooking.
In the afternoon we had a 45 minute Zoom get together with DS, DDIL, and DGD. It was the first time we used our new laptop, and it was so much better for the two of us, as opposed to using my PC. DW was delighted to talk to all of them, especially DGD, who is now 4 feet tall at the age of 7.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #1693
Give me a forum ...

DMV by appt today. Plan to get the Real ID added to it for an extra $30.
No appointments at any office nearby, so need to drive an hour away. Ugh.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #1694
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Went to Lazy Boy for a red leather recliner . I found the perfect one to replace my old one in about five minutes . Saleswoman tried to show me others but no go . This is what I want .She should have been glad for a quick sale and stopped .
Moemg, enjoy your new recliner! It sounds gorgeous.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #1695
Give me a forum ...

Had new shoes (tires) put on my 4x4. Cooper AT3 4S. Old ones were at 4/32, still legal, but would not be any good in snow. Assuming it will be a winter of heavy snow.
I can control tire configuration, not the weather.

Next week the Caddy is getting new shoes as well. Altimax RT43s
Old 09-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #1696
Give me a forum ...

I must be channeling Roseanne Roseannadanna - "If it isn't one thing...."

Just got off the phone with our doctor's nurse.....last week's X-Rays are in....both knees osteoarthritis, (I knew that, ran a marathon over 36 years ago wearing tensor bandages, and was told 22 years ago that "sooner or later..."), left hip (which isn't bothering me) mild to moderate osteoarthritis, right hip (which is bothering me), moderate to severe.

She's going to consult with the doc tomorrow, and (Inshallah) set up an assessment appointment with a surgeon........wonder if I can get cataract surgery and a hip replacement at the same time...doubling up would save on parking fees.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #1697
Administrator

Quote:

Just got off the phone with our doctor's nurse.....last week's X-Rays are in....both knees osteoarthritis, (I knew that, ran a marathon over 36 years ago wearing tensor bandages, and was told 22 years ago that "sooner or later..."), left hip (which isn't bothering me) mild to moderate osteoarthritis, right hip (which is bothering me), moderate to severe.

She's going to consult with the doc tomorrow, and (Inshallah) set up an assessment appointment with a surgeon........wonder if I can get cataract surgery and a hip replacement at the same time...doubling up would save on parking fees.
Keep this up and pretty soon your be a real life “Six Million Dollar Man”

Wishing you the best ..
Old 09-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #1698
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Keep this up and pretty soon your be a real life “Six Million Dollar Man”

Wishing you the best ..
Thanks......now that show was 40+ years ago.....there must be an added inflation component?

Old 09-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #1699
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I'm way ahead of you and 2 years younger. My marathon running days have resulted in giving me two hip replacements! But the pain is gone!!

The knees are still good, but I have no idea why.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #1700
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm way ahead of you and 2 years younger. My marathon running days have resulted in giving me two hip replacements! But the pain is gone!!

The knees are still good, but I have no idea why.
Ain't (approaching) old age grand? I'm still doing, (I think), a fair bit, (compared to the 'below average' guy), but sheesh, this falling apart is a PITA!

Closed Thread