Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #1741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I learned a long time ago the trick is to install the shelves high enough that DW has to use a ladder to reach them but I can reach them with just a little bit of a stretch.

That way they're MINE! ALL MINE! BWahhaaahaa!
I take it this is not you two out for a stroll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tall-Woman-Short-Man.jpg (25.7 KB, 59 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #1742
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got back today from a 3502 mile, 11 day road trip from New England to St. Petersburg FL and back. Visiting family along the way. Rented a luxury class Volvo S60 from Sixt for $421 for 11 days an unlimited mileage. 1500 miles on it when I got it. VERY nice car. T6 engine, inline 2.0 with turbo and supercharger, 316 hp. 8 speed tranny. Traveled with our 2 dogs (seat cover in back). Found that more and more hotels are pet friendly with many allowing "well behaved" dogs to be left in rooms unattended now. Great trip, saw lots of family, but good to be home.

Covid test at 11:40 tomorrow AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #1743
Moderator Emeritus

Today I went inside Walgreen's for the first time since the pandemic. It was so easy! No crowds, and what I wanted (and had been unsuccessful getting from Amazon despite several orders since July) was right there on the shelf waiting for me. So I got two. There were only 3 people ahead of me in line at the checkout, so I got out of there quickly.

I know, returning to in-person shopping at Walgreens is old news to many of you, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet and hey, it made my day.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #1744
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If it's the Mansfield type hose bib it's an easy and cheap fix, you don't even need to turn off the water to the bib. I just did four of these (since I was doing the full repair kits anyway) on the hose bibs here. Menards was the cheapest price I found for the kits at the time, just last month.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...466-c-8626.htm

Edit to add:

Youtube has videos on how to use those repair kits, it was pretty easy even for me and I usually hate plumbing stuff.
That was exactly right. A 15 minute, $8 repair. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #1745
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a "new to me" pickup truck. I haven't had a pickup since 1999. I figure I'm not getting any younger...
I cannot wipe the smile off my face every time I see it and drive it (very, very big grin!)
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:17 PM   #1746
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
I bought a "new to me" pickup truck. I haven't had a pickup since 1999. I figure I'm not getting any younger...
I cannot wipe the smile off my face every time I see it and drive it (very, very big grin!)
I miss my F250 diesel, HD, FWD, extended cab pickup.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:25 PM   #1747
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I miss my F250 diesel, HD, FWD, extended cab pickup.
I know how you feel...I feel as if a very longstanding, irritating itch has finally been scratched!
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #1748

Swapped out the lawn mower blades and sharpened/balanced the one I'd taken off, then put that one on the shelf awaiting it's turn. I swap them out about every five or six mows so there's always a sharp blade on the mower. That was my big project for the day.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #1749
Give me a forum ...

Hauled a Suburban full furniture to consignment shop. Another small step in downsizing.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #1750
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today I went inside Walgreen's for the first time since the pandemic.
That lifted my spirits so much, that today Frank took me to one of the big antique/junk shops that we used to love going to, down in the Faubourg Marigny. We were pleased and surprised that it was open; so many businesses are closed these days for reasons related to the pandemic. I didn't see anything that I wanted or needed, but it was fun anyway.

We were the only customers, and even the owner was not inside - - she was sitting on a chair out on the sidewalk because the weather was nice.
It's official - I'm old!
Old 09-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #1751
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's official - I'm old!

I just submitted my online application for Medicare benefits, to begin in December.

Even though I submitted my retirement notice on 9/1 (for 12/31/20), it didn't feel quite real until I hit "submit" on the Medicare application.

I suppose it will feel even more real when I sign and submit the pension application electronically on 10/1.

I do wonder if all of this would feel more real if I were doing some of it in person, rather than electronically. I guess I'll never know, thanks to Covid.

As long as my retirement itself takes place in the real world, I'll be happy!
Old 09-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #1752
Moderator Emeritus

Took DW out for breakfast this morning at a local Denny's and had a 30 minute wait for a table. I couldn't even find a parking spot at the local IHop. Everything is getting back to normal around here.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #1753

Beautiful sunny day here. Pulled up the rest of the tomatoes, otherwise taking it easy. Yesterday youngest DGS was here most of the day while Mom and Dad ran errands. One year olds can wear a person out--this Grandma is a bit tired, but happy!
Old 09-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #1754
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I learned a long time ago the trick is to install the shelves high enough that DW has to use a ladder to reach them but I can reach them with just a little bit of a stretch.

That way they're MINE! ALL MINE! BWahhaaahaa!

You would think that would work for me, my wife is 4'7" tall, but she has a couple of step stools and step ladders and she not afraid to use them!
Some of the shelving I say is hers, she would say is ours, canned goods, washing machine soap, suit cases, autowashing and maintanence supplies. I deny this.
Time2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #1755

Looking at the calendar I realized that next week will be the 19th anniversary of my REtirement. Where has the time gone?

It was a very uncertain time, in the aftermath of 9/11, but we got through it, and all subsequent uncertain times, so I have a fair amount of confidence in the future.

May everyone else here be as lucky!
Old 09-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #1756
Give me a forum ...

78th birthday today...."Opa" (that's moi), and the three youngest granddaughters:

My cards:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #1757

Early morning walk. Dog wanted to come home early. AQI = 25 so that's not why. But DGS1 came in this weekend so I guess that's why. Koda won't say

Reassured my dtr that even though her replacement job is significantly less than her old job, it's a J-O-B and the only one she got. We've all sucked it up. It's not bad. It's what she wants to do but it's 20% less than she was making.

Then (out of her hearing) congratulated DGS for being hired to teach 2 classes 2 weeks ago / now teaching 4 and 1 is over-enrolled (students requested him). Say what you want about cohort learning but it pays his rent. He's still planning on this being his gap year then back to school for a teaching certificate then grad school for his masters while teaching eventually hoping to teach elementary school + 1 or 2 night classes. Long range plan for his day job while performing. Most classical musicians don't earn much
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #1758
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
78th birthday today...."Opa" (that's moi), and the three youngest granddaughters:

My cards:

Well, Happy Birthday to one Lucky Grandpa!!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #1759

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It was a very uncertain time, in the aftermath of 9/11, but we got through it, and all subsequent uncertain times, so I have a fair amount of confidence in the future.
On 09-09-2001 we signed the contract for this house in WV, intending to move into it from the D.C. area a year later. Two days later we're looking at each other and thinking "Maybe we're getting out of here just in time..." But it has all worked out well so far for us.

Quote:
They are a trio of cuties! Congrats!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #1760

Quote:

My cards:

Happy Birthday! The cards are priceless. As are the little artists who made them.