Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #1761
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Happy Birthday, Nemo. What a wonderful picture of everyone and homemade cards are the best.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 05:12 AM   #1762

Last night I ordered a new iPad Mini (version 5). My version 3 has been slow and now it won’t upgrade to the latest iOS.

$399 minus the $95 trade-in value of the old iPad. I debated with myself for days as to whether spend the money or continue to make do with what I had. Then I did the math: likely three years of service from the new version comes to just over $2/week. For a toy/ tool that I use at least an hour a day to do puzzles, check email, read news articles, read this forum.

Spending $300 will be a tiny blip in our checking account. Why did I take days to make this decision?

The new machine should be delivered Wednesday.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:01 AM   #1763
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ordered new glass shelf for 1/2 bath we are remodeling, why DH wanted it to look pretty!
Old 09-28-2020, 07:37 AM   #1764
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Happy Birthday, Nemo!
Old 09-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #1765

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
One trick I learned years ago is you can use a regular portable fan to clean the air in a room. Just point the fan away from you at a wall. The impurities in the air will stick to the wall. We are getting by with just fans now as we loaned our air cleaner to our dd family.
Lot of info out there on putting a MERV 11 or higher filter on a box fan.

https://www.google.com/search?q=box+fan+filter

One example: https://www.wired.com/story/could-a-...ight-covid-19/
Old 09-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroscott View Post
Lot of info out there on putting a MERV 11 or higher filter on a box fan.

https://www.google.com/search?q=box+fan+filter

One example: https://www.wired.com/story/could-a-...ight-covid-19/
There are a few youtube videos and a lot of sites when you do a "box fan filter" Google search.

I have wondered about this for a few years now since air purifiers are essentially a fan and filter.

This would be an easy, fun, and inexpensive project for an afternoon. At the very least it would reduce the amount of furniture dusting.

Cheers!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #1767

Spread some fungicide on the lawn for some leaf spot. Never had that before, or maybe I never noticed, but it seemed to be spreading at a pretty good clip. The air filter oil I'd ordered from Amazon showed up so I finished oiling the foam air filter in the Honda tiller so that's all winterized and ready for storage. Also, a book I'd ordered showed up so that's my evening's entertainment.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #1768
Moderator Emeritus

Annual skin check, stocked up on booze for tomorrow night’s debate party, helped MIL vote from home, and then DW and I early voted.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:54 PM   #1769
Give me a forum ...

Drove up to the the west side of the continental divide, checking out the leaf changes. Around our house at 7700' the Aspens are getting very bright, here at 10k+ only a few patches have color. The scrub oak is almost peak at our house and less so here. Willows are mixed independent of altitude.

It's the first time I've driven the Wrangler after 3 months and 3k miles in a Tesla. Wow I almost rear ended a guy, wasn't used to using the brakes. We had our two small dogs in the backseat and the older one ended up on the floor.

20200928_142140_001.jpeg20200928_135848.jpeg
Old 09-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #1770
Administrator

Smoked a brisket; it's resting right now. After the young wife finishes making the tortillas, we're going to have tacos for dinner, with a nice bottle of Rioja.

While the brisket was in the smoker, I assisted the young wife in transferring all of her spices from the hodge-podge of containers of all shapes and sizes to standard 4 oz square glass jars that fit in her two slide out spice racks. We filled 80 jars of different spices. She has at least 10 different types of hot pepper (Hungarian paprika, smoked paprika, serrano, jalapeno, Aleppo, Urfa Biber, cayenne, berbere, chipotle, ancho, Utica - in multiple cases, both flakes and ground).

In any event, it looks much neater and freed up a lot of space, and we have ten remaining empty jars, which means she'll probably acquire more spices. But she makes me great food, so I'm not complaining.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #1771

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Drove up to the the west side of the continental divide, checking out the leaf changes.
I spent a week driving through western Colorado some years ago at this time of year, and took a lot of pictures. They have been regular screensavers for me ever since. Beautiful country.
fall_color22.jpeg
Old 09-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #1772
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
78th birthday today...."Opa" (that's moi), and the three youngest granddaughters:

My cards:

Happy Birthday. Very nice to celebrate with the grandkids. Tomorrow we are celebrating DD's 27th birthday.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:04 AM   #1773
Give me a forum ...

Happy birthday, Nemo. Great photos.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #1774
Give me a forum ...

Went for a walk with DH.
Leaves are starting to change colours.
The bird photo was taken by DH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sideways - Edited.jpg (74.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg fall colour with bird.jpg (88.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #1775

From the back yard this morning. So far it's only that one tree but the others will follow along shortly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yellow tree (2 of 1).jpg (283.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #1776
Administrator

Since Tropical Storm Isaias ripped through here, the trees have been dropping their leaves out of season. Normally, we don't get any leaf drop until late October and the bulk of it occurs in mid to late November. But the lawn was covered this morning, so I mowed with the bagger. I will till the bagged leaves into my garden beds in late October.

I also finally located and disposed of the dead mouse that I have been smelling for the last day and a half.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #1777
Give me a forum ...

I recently purchased a roomier air fryer and today, I roasted fresh brussle sprouts in it. I didn't even preheat the fryer and the roasted brussle sprouts were ready in just 7 minutes and they were so good. A nice and easy snack. I'm happy.

Lately, I try to find joy in small things (as there isn't much going on in my life right now... )
Old 09-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #1778
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
From the back yard this morning. So far it's only that one tree but the others will follow along shortly.
Your temp must be a bit higher than ours. It's only a matter of time...
Old 09-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #1779

I learned how to attach the brush hog implement to my John Deere (man I see why farm accidents are often quite catastrophic) and had someone relocate this little fatty (timber rattler, venomous pit viper) from an area too close to the house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4A99F01F-A175-4837-A268-168B3D4A67C3.jpg (887.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #1780
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I learned how to attach the brush hog implement to my John Deere (man I see why farm accidents are often quite catastrophic) and had someone relocate this little fatty (timber rattler, venomous pit viper) from an area too close to the house.
Nice pic.

My senior year of high school my buddy and I worked at a sawmill my DB and I built. During operation his pant leg became entangled in a homemade 90° drive that powered the edger from the main arbor. I saw a big "blue puff" in the air and my buddy stumbled. The puff was his jeans, they ripped off and exploded in the air. Luckily he was wearing tidy whities..... bruised but alive he never came back to work. We're still buddies.

Today we walked to our favorite little point overlooking one edge of SJNF. Only 70° and awesome outdoors. There are trails around the edges of the canyon and along the floor. We frequently sit up here and hear folks exploring the area on foot, bikes, horseback. Today we heard voices and couldn't find any people. Sat out there for an hour and still had no idea where the voices were coming from.

When we stood up there was a couple having a picnic on the floor just under the rock formation in the foreground of the photo.20200929_135017.jpeg
Closed Thread