Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took the one-day AARP senior driving refresher course. I was seriously disappointed with the content, which boiled down to 3 sentences: 1) We slow down as we get older; 2) Leave lots of space between vehicles; and 3) Make sure your car is set up properly (10" from steering wheel, e.g.)

The booklet, although only 3 years old, was out of date as regards new auto technology and offered no insights how to combine it with our previous practices. The instructor didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked him how to hold my hands when the "lane keeping " feature is engaged and the car is doing some self-steering. The brief films shown all featured older drivers making the above 3 points.

Oh, well, I'll get the insurance discount, but I expected more from this course.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #162

My wife is scheduled for an ablation on Monday. It was first scheduled for Monday, changed to Tuesday then back to Monday
The problem was they had not sent her the form to have her blood work done, and this is Friday. The lab closes at 3 PM, and we were very concerned. DW called the cardiologist's office and they said they would have the paperwork waiting at the desk. I drove down and picked up the paperwork, and it said she had to preregister at the hospital. Fortunately, it was across the street, and I took care of it.
At 4 PM the mail arrived, with instructions for the wrong date. Another letter arrived, dated a week ago,with some other lab requests. We are only 10 miles from the office, so why did it take a week for the letter to get here?
Old 01-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #163
Administrator

We went to see "Ford v. Ferrari" this morning, then out to our favorite Mexican place for lunch. The young wife really liked it, which is really a compliment for a movie about car racing.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What did you do today? - 2020 version

I returned from Greensboro today after having spent a few days around a highlight of a concert by Emmylou Harris. Excellent show and as a bonus she offered a masterclass on the afternoon of the concert. Here’s an article about that extra event:

https://www.greensboro.com/z-no-digi...0d8445d07.html

[ADDED] She’ll be returning to receive a well-deserved honorary doctorate. [emoji4]

... and the dog rescue mentioned is named Bonaparte’s Retreat (in honor of her pooch)

Old 01-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Our HOA dues ($195/month) allow for all homes in the community to be repainted every 7 years. Ours was done today with a handful of painters wielding brushes, small rollers, and an airless sprayer. Two days prior, the house was power washed and caulked where necessary.

What's not brick is Hardiplank. Next year, our 6' wood fencing gets replaced as it's on a similar schedule.

It's nice to watch rather than do this kind of work, which I have done a few times in the past.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #166

I'm about halfway through doing the taxes in TurboTax, but of course waiting for a few 1099's to appear from the perennial stragglers.

And I set a new record for the number (for me) of separate naps taken in one day: three! While I realize that is still amateur level, I'll be trying to improve.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #167
Full time employment: Posting here.

After about 4 weeks of looking at and test driving new vehicles, my DW now has a brand new Highlander in the garage. We looked at Nissan Murano & Pathfinder,Toyota Rav4 & Highlander,Kia Telluride & Sorento,Hundia Palisisade. In the end we both agreed the Highlander Hybrid was it. I've read some about the hybrids and hope it turns out to be as great as our last Toyoto,only time will tell.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

My raspberry Pi weather app went kaput. Turns out that Weather.com no longer supports/provides data through an api. I found a suitable replacement app on GitHub that I can tweak. App needs the newest os. Trouble is that my os is out of date. App crashed during the install on the old os. So I took the pi apart, formatted the sd card and am in the process of installing on the new os. Then reinstall the app.

And I'll fit a hike in as well.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
After about 4 weeks of looking at and test driving new vehicles, my DW now has a brand new Highlander in the garage. ..........
The HyHi has been around for a long time and gets great reviews from Consumer Reports as well as from owners on Toyota forums. I think you'll like it. My only complaint is visibility - between all the wide roof pillars, headrests, mirrors and tiny actual rear window I have a tough time assuring myself all is clear.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #170

Last night me and DW went to see Billy Joel in concert at Madison Square Garden, Bon Jovi sang a couple of songs with Joel. Great concert and we stayed in the Hotel Pennsylvania for the night, just got home. Good times.

Video from last night. (not mine)

Old 01-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Slow here.
We have been in Mexico (Guadalajara area) for January.

For the first two weeks, we slept at least 10 hours a night. It is 5000 ft here and we live at 250 ft ASL.

The weather has been as good as advertised. It snowed 2 ft at home, we heard.

Took the Tequila Express to the Herradura distillery last week. Great fun. Then took an eating tour of Tlaquepaque given by a native food scientist. Have been vegging at Lake Chapala mostly, checking out Mexican cuisine, giving reviews.

Friday night, went to a Robbie Burns Birthday celebration in Ajijic. We have been to many in many places (Canada and Azerbaijan). A popular event in many expat locations.

Tomorrow, leaving Lakeside for Guadalajara to shop the fabric stores.

Then, back to the Pacific North Wet.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Got back from a few days in Cincinnati attending classes of Argentine Tango.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Seven fabric stores in Guadalajara today. [emoji26]. Now enjoying a large, cold cervesa. May hit the pool later.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Got into Guadalajara at the Holiday Inn Express by the airport late yesterday.

Went straight to the Chili's across the parking lot. Had the best hamburger I have had in a Long time.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #175

Did the bulk of the income taxes in TurboTax, still waiting for the state of WV to finish one form. I try to come as close as I can to "breaking even" on refunds vs. payments and we came pretty close. Owe federal $224 and a state refund of $107. Close enough.

Oh, and the federal return is on a 1040-SR, the "U.S. Tax Return for Seniors". I guess that's a good thing since it gets us an additional, albeit small, deduction. DW is not yet 65.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #176
Full time employment: Posting here.

What I did today

Spent hours in the pool! Actually was working with the little vacuum brush head to clean all the algae off without turning the pool green! Back and neck seriously sunburned.

Then edged the property and mowed about 60%... say an acre and some with a walk behind mower. 6 miles of mowing... need a riding mower! But is great exercise....
Old 01-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Last night, F bought a new (used) car! So today we went for a pleasure ride in it after taking it to the gym and restaurant.

It's a 2018 Ford Fiesta with 40K miles on it, and fit his rather tight budget very nicely. It has a very smooth ride and a lot of zip for a 4 cylinder engine. It seems to get very good mileage and will be great for short trips around our suburb (which is about the farthest we drive these days anyway). I am very happy that he got it because the Murano was 17 years old and had 260K miles on it, and after many years of good service it was becoming unsafe and unreliable.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

I made some hummus in the Instapot. Also, followed up with a contractor doing road work in another municipality where our new car was damaged. No clear answer on liability yet. It’s okay. I’m retired and have plenty of time. If I was still working I’d be steaming.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

I may finally be done with work. Although I’ve been retired for almost 6 years, I continued to occasionally work on one last eminent domain case that has been going on for 18 years. Today was supposed to be my deposition day for a new trial. But the two parties settled this morning as I was leaving the house.

So instead I took a nap and went out for a hike.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Ironed out all the details on our March/April trip to Berlin, Dresden, Krakow and Budapest. Looking for high quality moderate hotel rooms is time consuming but not difficult with the internet. No need for travel agents any longer.
Closed Thread