Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #1841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dh and I went in for dental cleaning. First rinse with hydrogen peroxide mix to kill bacteria, then the old fashioned scraping followed by quick polish and topical fluoride.
No ultra sonic clean or any possible splashing.
I was a bit nervous removing my mask out in public! But the hygenist came in totally dressed in PPE head to toe, no one was in the chair in the booth next to me and each room had a portable air filter.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #1842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
Today I withdrew an excessively large amount of cash from the bank. It was an interesting process and required a notary+security.
Years ago my wife and I moved, we had an excessively large check from the sale of our home. Went to a bank to open an account. They would not open it and treated us like we were the mafia. I went 1/4 mile down the road to a different bank and had zero problem opening the account.
Retirement is...
Old 10-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #1843

Retirement is...

Walking away from the computer and the part time gig for a couple hours to sit outside with the old pooch to enjoy a sunny fall day...
IMG_0426.jpg
Old 10-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #1844

Mowed the front and sides of the yard. The three spots where I had to jackhammer and till the ground to plant seed in bare spots have finally "come in" and it looks perfect. I'll definitely do more of that next year. Wish it wasn't so much work though. Two days ago we had an inch and a half of rain in about a 36-hour period so I won't be watering for a while.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #1845
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Pirate looks for Parrot:
Ok....what happened?

All I did today was replace a backflow preventer on an outdoor faucet. Certainly not as exciting as what happened to you! (LOL)
Old 10-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #1846
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ok....what happened?
Cataract surgery on the (4 years and counting) shingles affected eye.

A real production line.....lined up, one after the other......said I hope I don't come out with GM stamped on my forehead.

Follow up appointment tomorrow a.m.

(DW took the pic for the youngest granddaughters....maybe they'll get me a parrot. )

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #1847
Administrator

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Nemo!
Old 10-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #1848
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Cataract surgery on the (4 years and counting) shingles affected eye.

A real production line.....lined up, one after the other......said I hope I don't come out with GM stamped on my forehead.

Follow up appointment tomorrow a.m.
Ah, OK, hope you can see better when all healed. DW had cataract surgery 5 years ago (both eyes). Amazingly, she stopped banging up the car after that!

Me, no cataracts yet. Lucky! (just two hip replacements instead)
Old 10-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #1849
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, Nemo! Hopefully your vision will be lots better now that you have had cataract surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
DW had cataract surgery 5 years ago (both eyes). Amazingly, she stopped banging up the car after that!
In my case, I stopped tripping on things and falling down so much. Amazing how that works.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #1850

Cleaning the garage. Groan. Hoping to downsize soon and when I look online at all of the 'staged' houses for sale I feel somewhat overwhelmed after 25 years accumulating in this place with 4 kids. It's time to 'take no prisoners' during the clean up but difficult to pull the trigger on some things. DS has been helping out on kijiji lately but so much junk and harder to use the 'magic curb' as the weather gets worse.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #1851

Took the portable water meter up to the sewer district office to get read. This is the one you put on the hose bib for water that isn't going into the sewage system when washing the car or other outside water uses. Then they subtract out the gallons used outside from your sewer bill. This is usually a once per year thing in October, but more often than not I forget to.

Then stopped in Lowes for some week killer and then a grocery run, and home.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #1852
Give me a forum ...

Went to eye surgeon's - recognized fellow patients from the hospital yesterday.

Taking a variety of eye drops at various intervals throughout the day.

So far, so good......(wearing safety glasses to avoid any risk of rubbing eye).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #1853
Moderator Emeritus

Played golf with some friends. I restarted playing again after 11 years off. Now with two new hips I feel pretty good. The game is coming back slowly. After four 9 hole rounds in the last month, I am starting to get my old swing back. In the nine holes we played today, I had two pars and a birdie. It felt good!

However, we now hit from the "old man" tees.......
Old 10-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Took the portable water meter up to the sewer district office to get read. This is the one you put on the hose bib for water that isn't going into the sewage system when washing the car or other outside water uses. Then they subtract out the gallons used outside from your sewer bill.
Very interesting. I've never heard of anything like that.
Where I live, the sewer district has a monthly base rate plus a variable rate based on how much water you use. Your method would certainly be more precise but I wonder about the cost of all those meters and the manhours of dealing with them.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #1855

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Very interesting. I've never heard of anything like that.
Where I live, the sewer district has a monthly base rate plus a variable rate based on how much water you use. Your method would certainly be more precise but I wonder about the cost of all those meters and the manhours of dealing with them.
It's purely optional on the part of the user. You have to buy the meter from a licensed plumber, it was ~$70 at the time (2002) and paid for itself in less than two years, I figured the break-even at 18 months. That made it a no-brainer for me, but I suppose a lot of people can't get past that initial front money outlay. To my knowledge none of the neighbors use one. The neighbor who told me about it has since moved away.

This county population is small enough that the sewer office still uses a card-file system to keep track of the meter readings. I go in, hold the meter up to the window so she can see the reading and serial number, and that's it. Takes less than two minutes. Of course I have no idea what the back-office cost is in subtracting out the reading gallons.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #1856

A few days ago I spoke with a neighbor I'd never talked to before, which led to me being able to sell my mom's car today without having to list it. The neighbor's daughter needed a car, and the daughter's boyfriend bought it for her. They wanted it right away, so I didn't even have time to wash and detail it properly. Signed over the title and got the cash for it today. Sort of a sad event for my mom. She quit driving early last year but just recently felt ready to let go of her car.

Scraped up some weeds in the back yard, then DH and I took a walk on the waterfront to see how the new ferry dock is coming along. It's over a year behind schedule, and the current plan is to open late this year, but late is coming up pretty fast and it looks like there's still a lot of work to do.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #1857

Created a simple cash flow model for our CD ladder so I know when funds will be maturing. Only took about 30 minutes...we have about 10 CDs spread over 5 year ladder.

Also cooked dinner, vegetable stir fry.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:19 AM   #1858
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran some errands. Checked some boxes on the "to do list". Tied up some loose ends and took care of some things I had procrastinated about. Grabbed some lunch. Chatted with a neighbor. Called my sister and talked to her a few hours. Reviewed some ideas for other streams of income. Checked the stock market per usual. Wrote in my journal. Watched Shark Tank. Explored some new books I might buy. Viewed some condos and homes at the beach where I'd like to move to when the timing is right for me.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #1859
Moderator Emeritus

Mostly hiking every day during fall color. Also working on making some hiking sticks, a contraption to thwart squirrels attacking my bird feeder, a bracket to hold my gopro to photograph birds at the feeder, and putting together a mini photo shoot setup in the basement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kank river state park trail.jpg (1.06 MB, 47 views)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #1860
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for sharing your days! Always fun to read what you rich people are doing. Lol

I been bow hunting just have had a rough go at harvesting an animal but I give thanks I can still do what I love.

Having fun at the ranch makes up most days.
Closed Thread