Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 04:09 PM   #1941
Moderator Emeritus

We found out that a favorite restaurant of ours is already back open again after Hurricane Zeta, and not even that busy! Simply amazing, given the way things were here yesterday. So anyway, we ate lunch out as always. Split a roast chicken wrap, yum.

Then we drove around our immediate neighborhood and gawked at the huge trees that are down. The chain saws and wood chippers are going like crazy all over town, but it's still going to take a while for all of the streets to open back up. That said, homeowners are cleaning up and bagging debris for pick-up on Monday, and then mowing and edging and sweeping so in general our suburb looks pleasingly neat and tidy. "Pride of ownership" and all that.

The utility company has put up new electrical/phone poles to replace the ones that were blown down, and moved the wires to the new poles. Most of the old poles have been removed or at least they are not out in the street any more. I found a fairly large piece of F's soffit in my yard, so he is going to have to get that repaired sometime. No rush, I would imagine. I also found some shingles but they are just the standard grey color so who knows where they came from.

Tonight Frank will be able to work at his "fun job" for only the third time since the pandemic. The bar around the corner from us that he sometimes works at, is having an outside Hallowe'en show on the bar's patio (since inside shows aren't allowed due to the pandemic). He will be doing the sound and lights for it. He has repaired some/most/all? of the damage to the sound and light systems caused by the storm.

Meanwhile, I plan to stay home with the lights out and not answer the door. Even if we get trick-or-treaters, in the past they have never knocked if I do that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 04:10 PM   #1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I just dressed as a curmudgeonly old man.
Just your normal everyday wear then....

Sorry, couldn't resist the straight line.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #1943
Administrator

In the old days, unless Halloween was on a weekend, I would get home from work right when the trick or treating was going strong. I would often be in a suit. I just said that I was dressed as a lawyer and that was scary enough.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:22 PM   #1944
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Finished majority of Christmas shopping online--Target and Amazon.
I am preferring Target much more than Amazon, never have any trouble getting what I order and usually within a few days.
Oh good! I hope my experience with Target is as good as yours because Amazon just has not been "up to speed" for me since the pandemic. So far, so good. On Thursday night I created a Target account and placed my first ever Target order (TP and a couple of other items). It was supposed to be delivered on Election Day which I thought was impressively prompt. Now they say the package is coming by FedEx tomorrow! If it does, and if it has the right items in it, then I am officially very impressed.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:14 PM   #1945
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Changed the screens out for storm windows. (Although we decided to leave a few strategic screens in for possible anti-Coronavirus ventilation this winter.) Swapped out the summer tires for snow tires. Took the convertible out for a last, long ride before putting it to bed for the winter. Cooked some Chilkoot Sockeye salmon for dinner!
Old 11-01-2020, 04:43 AM   #1946
Moderator Emeritus

Stocked up on bird feed and reclaimed lumber. Made a photo backdrop out of the lumber.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #1947

We sold our rental townhouse today.

I posted elsewhere that we had plans to fix up the bathrooms before listing the house, but out real estate agent advised against it and suggested we paint, clean, and list.

It was listed Wednesday at 3:30 pm. In the listing was a statement that we would review all offers received by Sunday at 3 pm. There were 27 showings from Wednesday thru today. We received six offers, the lowest equalled our asking price and the highest asking price plus 5%. Crazy!

The terms were a little better for the second-highest bid, so we went with that. It was only $1000 lower than the highest bid but with an earlier settlement date.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #1948
Moderator Emeritus

Took my 2005 Mustang convertible out for a long drive in absolutely beautiful Fall weather here in Texas (75 F, low humidity, clear sky).
Old 11-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #1949
Moderator Emeritus

Today I followed Walt34's lead and got my first dental cleaning/checkup since the pandemic.

The good news: no new cavities!

The bad news: a crown is wiggling and could soon fall off a previously root-canaled tooth. The tooth is now badly split, and if the crown falls completely off I could swallow it (eek!). But if the dentist tries to get it off, the split tooth might split more and become harder to extract. So, tomorrow I have an appointment with the oral surgeon to have the tooth (and crown) removed. The oral surgeon is the same one who did my terrific dental implants. But this tooth is the farthest one back, and I hardly use it at all, so I decided not to pay for an implant this time.

What's next in 2020? I have no idea. It's been just one thing after another.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #1950
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
.......The tooth is now badly split, and if the crown falls completely off I could swallow it (eek!).......
Don't worry, they'll sanitize before they reinstall it.

But seriously, sorry for your dental woes.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #1951
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Don't worry, they'll sanitize before they reinstall it.
ROFL!! For sure, and as a bonus it sounds like a very "2020" sort of measure for them to take. Maybe they'd put a cute little tooth-sized face mask on it too.

They aren't going to reinstall it. The tooth is badly split in several directions and falling apart, so it no longer can support the crown. I was mostly concerned about swallowing it in my sleep and having the sharp edges of the crown carve up my digestive tract as it passes through (and with my luck, probably followed by septicemia, this being 2020!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
But seriously, sorry for your dental woes.
Anyway, thanks for caring. I am lucky to have the best dentist in the universe and the oral surgeon that he works with is wonderful too.

Hurricanes? Wildfires and earthquakes out west? Unrest in the cities? Wars and terrorism overseas? Contraversial election? Pandemic? Tooth falling out? What's next? I am looking forward to a day when I can just do nothing for a change, except maybe take a nap.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #1952
Administrator

I endeavor to be like my cats. They care about very few things - is the bowl full and the box empty? Is there a lap available? That's pretty much it.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #1953
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I endeavor to be like my cats. They care about very few things - is the bowl full and the box empty? Is there a lap available? That's pretty much it.
That's all I want, too, if 2020 would just back off a little! Bet they wouldn't like being dragged off to the vet tomorrow to have a tooth extracted.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #1954

Quote:
That's all I want, too, if 2020 would just back off a little!
I've started calling this "Murphy's Year" after his famous law.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #1955
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've started calling this "Murphy's Year" after his famous law.
Perfect!

Or, to emulate Gumby's cats, "Purrrr-fect!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitty2.jpg (10.7 KB, 137 views)

Old 11-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #1956
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Hurricanes? Wildfires and earthquakes out west? Unrest in the cities? Wars and terrorism overseas? Contraversial election? Pandemic? Tooth falling out? What's next? I am looking forward to a day when I can just do nothing for a change, except maybe take a nap.
Sorry to hear about the tooth! That's just icing on the cake for this year for you with all that's gone on.

Well, today, three friends and I went to the golf course in this beautiful weather and played a round, then followed it with a late lunch at Cracker Barrel. It was a mind-cleansing day for us!
Old 11-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #1957
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Sorry to hear about the tooth! That's just icing on the cake for this year for you with all that's gone on.
Thanks for caring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Well, today, three friends and I went to the golf course in this beautiful weather and played a round, then followed it with a late lunch at Cracker Barrel. It was a mind-cleansing day for us!
Now that sounds to me like a perfect day! Glad you had fun today.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #1958
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mortared in 4 concrete blocks (the big ones) for the tool shed. 8 done, 4 to go.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #1959

Today is our anniversary, and DW is afraid to go out. After volunteering at hospice, I drove into town to a seafood restaurant. I ordered two lobster rolls that we will have for dinner tonight.
We usually go to an ocean-side restaurant and have 10 ounce lobster tails to celebrate.
We used to order live lobsters from the Lobster Guy back east, but the cost is about the same and we are catered to instead of having to prepare them ourselves.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #1960

Was a gorgeous day. 70 and sunny which is pretty good around here for November. Cleaned up leaves. Cut mom's grass. Leveled and resanded some pavers out front. Kept an eye on some important world events.
Closed Thread