What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I went to nephew's house to deliver presents and see them (his wife and 2 kids). Then went to a local place for nice lunch, get back and the Jeep is dead battery. No jump start working, battery had internal failure.

Called nephew to "rescue" us, and take me to local auto parts store and get a new battery. Swapped out the battery in restaurant parking. Fired right up with new battery. $148 of unplanned expense for the day.

Had a similar situation a few weeks ago, dead battery and called SiL for a jump. He got there but his dinky little 10' jumper cables wouldn't reach. So for Christmas he got a set of heavy guage 25' jumper cables so that the next time he is called on to rescue me he'll be able to do so successfully. It's the thought that counts.

Fedex'd a camera lens in for a trade-in, tried to contact Tilley regarding my newest hat being too big, renegotiated my Sirius xm subscription, and went for my first hike in 6 weeks following foot surgery.

Day 10 of retirement:

Paid my property taxes.

Wrapped a late Christmas present for the teenage cousin in my life. I'll drop it at the UPS store tomorrow. Amazon lost the first order, and the replacement didn't arrive here until today. :mad:

Downloaded all the photos on my phone to my computer. I've been meaning to do that forever and just never got around to it.

It's amazing how many more hours I'm finding in the day to just do things, now that that pesky w#rk doesn't interfere! :D

We are into a 1 month COVID lockdown in our province, and I can't even go to Home Depot to get some sandpaper for a home project. So I spent this afternoon making 3 liters of enchilada sauce using chiles that we grew ourselves then smoked and dried. Some will go to our two daughters in town and the rest will go to the freezer for yummy dinners over the winter.

Built my "deck gutter access panel"

I need to be able to access the "pee gutter" the dude built into the dog run so's I can blow it out as needed with the power washer. Got 2 hinges on (3) 2x6's between the deck and the wall. Gonna add the handle tomorrow.

Then it's just lift and spray!

I received a summons for jury duty and completed my responses online. The jury selection date is the 11th of January. I have to start checking starting January 8th to see if I have to report. Hopefully I won't get called and if I do get called I'll try to get thrown out faster than a time share presentation.

Today is the first rain we have had in quite a while. We had a rain gutter installed on one side of our home with two downspouts. Unfortunately, the one downspout's water flooded an area because of the lack of drainage grade.
I called the gutter installer and he wanted $400 to fix the problem. I ordered four 10 foot downspouts from Lowe's and they rolled them out to my car in the parking lot.
I installed them , routing the water out to the street. I went out in the rain (with an umbrella) and saw it was working perfectly. Problem solved for $50 :D

Yesterday there was a little snow and a winter storm warning for later in the day and all day long today. I blew off 4" or so on the driveway and ran a couple errands including some fresh gasoline for the snowblower.

I made yummy chocolate truffles with some added expresso. On my third attempt I'm getting confident about the process and tempering chocolate. Sous vide makes it easy. I've just learned about ruby chocolate it's next to try.

When we got up this morning there was another 8" of snow in our area and the snowplow had been through. Another pass with the snowblower.... We went out and walked around our circle, there were a few people clearing their driveways. Now some coffee and truffles watching some weather go by.

Last edited:
Brought home a new-to-me low-mileage 2017 Honda CR-V LX. Not exactly a Blow That Dough vehicle, though I did pay cash for it. Started getting my old ride ready for sale. It's a 2002 Subie Impreza RS, 5-speed manual, that has only 57k miles on it. I'm thinking it'll sell fast.

Started getting my old ride ready for sale. It's a 2002 Subie Impreza RS, 5-speed manual, that has only 57k miles on it. I'm thinking it'll sell fast.

I bet it will! I had a '98, which was the first year for the RS2.5 (as it was known then). With the stupid gold wheels (only choice in '98). I frequently had offers to sell.

The Conscendo Evolution sailplane that I'd ordered some time ago finally arrived and I spent the afternoon configuring that. The only issue is that the variometer/altimeter sensor isn't being recognized by the electronics, and that after I spent an hour trying to finagle the wire from the receiver to the battery bay, the only place big enough for the sensor. (Sailplanes are notorious for having tight and narrow fuselages in the interest of efficiency and low aerodynamic drag.)

Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually. But at least everything else works.

It’s back to the basic routine for me. Morning workout at the gym followed by tasks at home. Today I rebuilt a bicycle wheel and now heading out to give it a workout. And provided an hour of free consulting to some good friends from work.

That hour of free consulting might turn into a few days of actual work. Don’t really want to work, but happy to help a few good friends who are still doing the 9-5 gig.

Shoveled some snow, went for a walk, then sat inside and watched a 20 mph wind and 4 foot waves pile up 40 feet of snow and ice along the Lake Huron shoreline which had been bare this morning. Very cool watching the ice/slush balls getting thrown into the air to build the ice wall.

Shoveled some snow, went for a walk, then sat inside and watched a 20 mph wind and 4 foot waves pile up 40 feet of snow and ice along the Lake Huron shoreline which had been bare this morning. Very cool watching the ice/slush balls getting thrown into the air to build the ice wall.

Wow...you must have great eyesight if you can see Lake Huron from Toronto.

Who's your ophthalmologist? :)

Snowed overnight. Backed my truck out of the garage. TPMS showed a tire at 15psi. Local shop was too busy to fix it. So I pumped air in it and drove to the nearest Discount Tire, where I got a set of all terrain tires with 3 peak mountain snowflake rating.

Then came home and plowed and shoveled the driveway and cleaned the garage. Now on hold for the last 82 minutes waiting to talk to Vanguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom