Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #1321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the hair cut front, I bought some Creaclip type guides from Amazon and those have worked out great. I don't think I will go back to salon cuts.

Today we went for a hike at a park with some cool wind caves and rock formations.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 11:21 PM   #1322
Recycles dryer sheets

Read the Amendments to the Constitution. Washed some new fabric I’m going to sew. Mopped the floors. Enjoyed Black Rifle Coffee. Watched my hockey team practice on AppleTV. Talked to a friend up in BC CA. Took a nap. Nice and calm day.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #1323
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday didn't go so great on the electrical inspection. The inspector wants me to connect all the wires together and have them ready to put the switches and outlets in. I was hoping to wait until after the drywall was put on the ceilings before I started that task.

Last night the sky was very clear and dark so there was a great view of the Neowise comet.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #1324

Last night we did a dinner movie night. Our mini home theater is in the basement. We set up TV trays and started the movie, while enjoying sous vide rosemary ribeye roast.

We saw the 1938 version of The Adventures of Robin Hood, rented from the library. I got interested during my Ancestry project, with my dad growing up on a ranch outside Chico and combing through old family photos. I spent some summer weeks there, swimming at a swimming hole in Bidwell Park which was Sherwood Forest in the film. We spent an extra hour watching the Behind the scenes” part of the second DVD. It was a very good movie, and the discussion of the actors, writers, music, location, and all the rest was enriching. It was neat to recognize the location from my own memories.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #1325
Administrator

Picked and canned 5 pints of green beans from the garden.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #1326

Miscellaneous errands day. Took little dog to the groomer, exchanged propane tanks for the grill, quick Costco run, picked up our monthly floral bouquet from the neighborhood florist. Then finished the minutes for the 2 ZOOM meetings yesterday that I was secretary for (I so wish they were not on the same day every month!).
Old 07-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Deal killer right there!

I haven't been to the barber since February. DW uses the dog's grooming clippers on me and it's worked fine. Gotta strange urge to lift my leg in the bathroom though...
DW actually did a pretty good job on me with her sewing scissors after watching some YouTube videos. Part of me wants to be a hippie but then the bigger part of me gets too annoyed with my hair.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #1328

Watched part of the ISS spacewalk this morning. Learned that the ISS has a 3-D printer so they can print some types of parts and tools when certain needs arise. On a previous spacewalk they had trouble pulling an "H-fixture" off the outside of ISS. Engineers on the ground analyzed the problem, then sent the ISS a CAD file for a special wedge, which was produced on the printer as part of the tool kit put together to pry off the fixture. Not quite a Star Trek replicator, but moving in that direction!

Took DM to the dentist, then to the restaurant she and DD owned for a snack. The waitresses there fawn over her and we often see an old customer that remembers her. The new owner has pictures of the place from the 1950s-70s on the walls, and it's fun to look at them and reminisce. He's doing an exceptional job with the place, and it's great to see the folks' legacy in such good hands.

Next we went to the bank to deal with her matured CD. I was hoping she'd go for a Pen Fed CD at 0.7%, but she rolled to the bank's 6-month CD at 0.15%. She thinks the rates might go up by then. I was annoyed, but who am I to say?

Then she wanted to go to the Verizon store to shop for a new phone. I've been trying to get her to look at them online, but she still expects personal, face-to-face service. Unfortunately, you can't even go into the Verizon store now, and anyways the guy said they don't have flip phones there to look at. Then we went to Best Buy, but they had only one model of flip phone to look at. So I'll have DM come over to shop online when she's not so tired.

Gosh I'm glad I don't have to work anymore! I'd hate to saddle DH with all that running around, or have to do it on the weekend.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #1329
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
DW actually did a pretty good job on me with her sewing scissors after watching some YouTube videos. Part of me wants to be a hippie but then the bigger part of me gets too annoyed with my hair.
Haven't had mine cut since.......gonna braid it, and tuck the braids in my socks....already have the "Maharishi" business cards on order.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #1330
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Haven't had mine cut since.......gonna braid it, and tuck the braids in my socks....already have the "Maharishi" business cards on order.
My barber opened up the day Texas blew the opening whistle. I have been there twice already. It feels so good to be acting like a human again. I have to make an appointment and I am wearing a mask as the barber is. All is good!!
Old 07-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #1331

This morning before DS went to the hospital for work, we chatted about an idea he had to develop his home streaming and music teaching studio. It involved moving his computer to a basement room, and setting up keyboard and drums. This afternoon, DH and DS moves everything out of the room, including my music set-up. It’s nice to see the change, but given I’m in an online festival with a rehearsal tonight, I wish I had had a bit of notice....[emoji53]
Old 07-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #1332

Right after I finished my ZOOM yoga class, DH texted me from the backyard that the fish pond pump was making noise. That usually means low water, but I had just filled it yesterday so that was not good. Went out and it was very low. Checked for damming in the waterfall, which is usually the culprit, but didn't seem to be. Then noticed the area around the pump was wet. Bingo - the PVC pipe out of the pump had come loose and was spewing water out. This has happened before but only in winter when the pipe contracts from the cold. Not sure what caused it, but easy fix with a small screwdriver to tighten the band again.

As I finished, I found two baby frogs in the catch basket and let them free. Then we watched two dragonflies have sex, followed by the female laying her eggs in the pond. That made our day. We are easily entertained these days...
Old 07-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #1333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Then we watched two dragonflies have sex
"Hello Chauncey Gardiner"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Then we watched two dragonflies have sex, followed by the female laying her eggs in the pond. That made our day. We are easily entertained these days...
Reminds me of the time last spring DW and I went for a walk, and while passing the pond she noticed two turtles thrashing in the water. She stared for a moment and then asked "Why are those turtles fighting?"

"Um, they're not fighting, dear."

"Oh."
Old 07-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #1335
Give me a forum ...

Spent the AM sweating my arse off. The highs have been in the mid 90s the last few weeks which isn't too bad, but with dewpoints in the mid to high 70s (which is more common to Savannah and Florida) the heat index has been miserable.

Anyway, I was getting tired of finding and schlepping chlorine for the pool so I bit the bullet and installed a salt water chlorine generator. It was a fairly simple affair, but I was soaking wet after just 30 minutes outside. I can tell you one thing...I am very, VERY happy that I don't have to turn wrenches on Air Force jets these days...I don't think I would survive very long!
Old 07-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #1336

Our neighbor (absentee owner - lives in NJ and has not been down in nearly a year) had a dead white oak tree fall in his front yard a week or so ago. I sharpened up the chainsaw and DW & I went and cut it up this AM. We discarded much of it but ended with a decent amount of wood that we took to our house and split/stacked it.

Very hot - we are about to go down for a swim in our river......
Old 07-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #1337
Administrator

The young wife cut my hair. I feel much better now.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #1338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The young wife cut my hair. I feel much better now.

It’s amazing what a difference that makes! I was thrilled when my stylist opened after shutdown. I crawled back in there like the GEICO caveman, tipped double the bill and was happy to do so!

Old 07-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #1339
Give me a forum ...

Sent off for 23andme for DW and self. I am more interested in our ApoE values (4/4 = highest risk of Alzheimer's) and other risk markers than ancestry.

Financing is in place for our new condo. The underwriter's demands are infuriating, though.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #1340
Recycles dryer sheets

What idiot puts hay up on the hottest day of the yr, so far for us anyway? 99.1 deg
Closed Thread