Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #1481
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As a gift, one of our sons gave us a signpost with the names of the 4 sons and their spouses and the distance each was from us.
They are always hard pressed to come up with Christmas gifts for us, so this was great.
Well, one of our sons just moved 500 miles away, so I ordered a new sign with their names and the new distance.
Needless to say, the new mounting holes did not match I thought the pipe they were mounted to was copper, but it was copper plated steel. Needless to say, it took a while to get the new holes drilled.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #1482
Moderator Emeritus

Xfinity tv/internet/phone went out around 7 this morning. Big storm in the Midwest caused a lot of downed trees a couple of days ago and utilities have been on and off since. Problem is that today is my credit card payment day. Couldn’t pay by computer and I don’t have cell coverage at home to use the cc phone app.

So I went to have blood work done. Then came home to the same internet outage. Drove into town to get cell coverage, called the cc company and made the payment over the phone. What a fiasco. Then took a nap.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #1483
Full time employment: Posting here.

It was a busy day, and in true retirement style started out with sleeping in.

Got out for a two hour bicycle ride/workout in the heat, cleaned up and put away camping gear from this weeks trip, mowed, and wrenched on the Subaru to fix the broken air conditioning.

One other item. Although I am retired was on the phone for an hour with a manager from my former workplace on a financing strategy to move a very high profile and politically sensitive project forward. Likely a few days of consulting (AKA vacation and new bicycle money) will come my way as a result of today’s gratis consultation.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #1484
Administrator

Picked and canned 8 lbs of tomatoes (3 pints, plus a little left over for a snack).
Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #1485
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been riding around in our 24' boat and Waverunner with a 12 year old grandson driving.

I looked down today, and we were running 55 mph on the Waverunner.

He's growing up like me--a lake kid.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:02 AM   #1486

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
TODAY I DEFENDED THE QUEEN OF THE REALM – when DW asked me to slay the wee beastie of a spider lodging in a corner of our 10 ft ceiling bathroom. The quest gave me purpose, fulfillment, and the unconditional love of my wife after seeing a swift response. It also prompted me to dust the high places in the bath. (To be honest, this will probably be the highlight of my day.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knightinshiningarmor.jpg (27.1 KB, 241 views)
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:09 AM   #1487
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
TODAY I DEFENDED THE QUEEN OF THE REALM – when DW asked me to slay the wee beastie of a spider lodging in a corner of our 10 ft ceiling bathroom. The quest gave me purpose, fulfillment, and the unconditional love of my wife after seeing a swift response. It also prompted me to dust the high places in the bath. (To be honest, this will probably be the highlight of my day.)
Reminded me of this:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 08-14-2020, 06:15 AM   #1488

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Thanks Nemo - had not seen that before.

Best line: "Don't worry, I have been killing spiders since I was 30."

DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:18 AM   #1489
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Best line: "Don't worry, I have been killing spiders since I was 30."
That was always one of my favorite lines!

(Another one...she parks the car, and he says "That's okay, we can walk to the curb from here".)

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f6238bc...e-04f80329697d

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 08-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #1490
Give me a forum ...

FedEx delivered another 7 kWh of lithium battery today. Once I install that, will have a total of 36 kWh of energy storage for my solar system. It's not likely that I will be able to have enough solar generation to fill that up, but excess storage capacity will reduce the charge/discharge cycle depth, and make the battery last longer.

The temperature hit 119F (38C) today. Still short of the all-time record high of 122F (40C), but is the hottest day so far this summer. The DIY solar system still keeps the AC going until 8PM last night.

If there's a power outage here, my neighbors will either bail out of town or die of heat stroke. I will still be OK. And that gives me a good warm fuzzy feeling. Oops, shouldn't say "warm" this time of year.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #1491
Administrator

Today, I used 2 lbs. of my Principe Borghese tomatoes to make tomato jam and then canned it. It was my first attempt at tomato jam making, and I was very pleased with the result. It makes a killer appetizer with the jam and some goat cheese on a slice of baguette.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #1492

My good friend Daryl came over today to help me with my engine repair on my old truck.
I'm a do it yourself, self taught mechanic.
He restores cars, and runs and maintains a drag racing car. (He knows what he is doing, and I'm kind of winging it.)
We got a lot of work done. We installed rebuilt heads, the intake manifold, and the distributor. All the more technical parts of the repair.
We also had some great takeout BBQ, and a few beers out on the patio as part of our day.
A very satisfying fun day for me, and I'm much closer to having my old truck running again.
JP
Old 08-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #1493
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Today, I used 2 lbs. of my Principe Borghese tomatoes to make tomato jam and then canned it. It was my first attempt at tomato jam making, and I was very pleased with the result. It makes a killer appetizer with the jam and some goat cheese on a slice of baguette.
That sounds really good.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #1494
Administrator

Yesterday I update iOS on my iPad. I never do that without first researching the upgrade, but I was distracted and went ahead. Apparently this was a major upgrade and it changed many of my settings. One of the things that most irritates me is when a SW provider does this and is one of the reasons I had been leaning toward Apple and away from MS. At least ‘til now.

One positive aspect is this gives me a good preview of what I will face when I get a new iPad.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #1495
Give me a forum ...

Re: Apple upgrades: a recent iOS update (13.6?) has caused Home Sharing to stop working from my iMac to iOS devices. It starts spinning up then dies. Unresolved and my fallback is to use Bose’s software to speakers or Amazon Music to iPhone/iPod to buds. Annoying!

Old 08-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #1496

Slept in and got a late start on my daily workout on my bicycle. Took plenty of water but I underestimated the heat. Was 90 at the house but got down into the nearby rock-lined canyon and the mid-day sun was overhead and blazing. My Garmin bike computer recorded a high of 117 degrees. Was a slow hot grind back up the asphalt road.

Rest of the day spent inside the air conditioned house.

Headed out to a local brewery for a beer and a snack from a food truck in a little while.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #1497

Not much of anything. I was going to do some more dethatching in the yard but yesterday I overdid the bending/stretching and my lower back is killing me. Besides, it's raining so today was a "lie around, read, post online" type of day.

I hate this getting old crap. It's really starting to interfere with my desired lifestyle.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #1498
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Washed a few windows, then went for a bike ride in the pleasant 75 degree afternoon. Tomorrow is supposed to be a scorcher in the 90s, a statement that probably makes some of you out there laugh. Got some things together for kayaking, picnicing, and swimming tomorrow. Hoping that the parking lot near where we want to launch is open.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #1499

Put together a small care package for DS (puzzle pages from the WSJ, some extra spice mixes I got as free samples from Penzeys, and a letter that came here for him). Used "click-n-ship" from USPS.com for the first time. Only options are Priority, but that was only $3 more than first class would have been and it saved me a trip to the PO where the lines have been long and the self-service machines unreliable.

Called Dometic about the long-overdue replacement awning for our RV. It was ordered June 22, was supposed to have been shipped July 8, and last week when the repair shop called they said "maybe 2-3 weeks". I waited on hold 1.5 hours (!) and then the agent put me back on hold for 15 minutes twice to check on things. Bottom line - no idea when we'll get it because they are having trouble getting parts from China due to COVID. Ugh.

Caught up on some NYT articles I'd bookmarked. Now will work on the pile of paper WSJ that I'm behind on. Meetings (ZOOM) for two of my volunteer gigs later. This is getting old.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #1500
Give me a forum ...

DW had PT for her knee this morning, I watered grass and a couple garden areas. Washed the Y before she got home.

We received a rebate from my ACA policy of almost 4 months premiums and went to the drive-thru and qdeposited it. On the way DW insisted we get a flu shot, we hit Walmart and it was less than 10 minutes to get done.

We were going to walk before it got hot, looks like we missed it. Walked in 86° yuck. The haze from forest fires is pretty bad today. Guess we're going to turn on the AC to stop breathing haze.

Making a pork tenderloin in the sous vide now, have no idea what it's going with but there's plenty of food.
Closed Thread