Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #2041
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I made my Thanksgiving cranberry sauce. It's far better than the commercial stuff IMHO. Less sugary and more like cranberries with a bit of orange tossed in.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #2042
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
I’ve hit two deer over the years. Almost got a third one the other night but was able to slow down enough and he bolted out of the way. Glad you’re ok MRG.

I had one jump over the car, but one of his legs hit the antenna and put a turn on the very end.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #2043
Moderator Emeritus

Busy day for me:

7:00 am - ROMEO coffee at Burger King
9:00 am - take DW to Dr appt.

Afternoon - Costco and Walmart run, meet a friend to hit some golf balls, dog walk, clean garage, get car washed.

Tonight - Meet three friends and walk for an hour on a local golf course, then go to the Bar for a water/beer/diet coke and snack. I'm the designated driver.

Then home to walk the dog for the late mission (9:30 PM).

The end!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #2044
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm the designated driver.
Y'know, I always thought the term ought to be desiccated driver.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 11-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #2045

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Watching the Space X launch coverage today. Weather forecast is 50/50 at this point, so fingers crossed. They just had Travis Tritt sing The Star-Spangled Banner and showed some scenes of the launch area. Got me a little teary-eyed.
I also watched it, and then last night I took the neighbor out to a clear area so we could watch the ISS go over, Found and tracked with ease. I use Heavens-Above for

information. To night I was looking at sky things on the internet and see Jupiter and Saturn clearly visible near the moon soon after sunset. Mars is also visible to the East. So I went out and looked at them.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #2046
Give me a forum ...

Roof is being replaced starting today and should go on for a few days. It’s hunker in place time around here! Fortunately, the weather looks to be sunny and cool through the weekend.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #2047
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Y'know, I always thought the term ought to be desiccated driver.
Well, while the others drink cold beer and wine, I have ice water to minimize being desiccated!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #2048
Recycles dryer sheets

Grocery shopping. Gardening. Taking my dog for a drive and a walk. Cooking. Playing the piano. Play Wii tennis. Talking to my daughter on the phone congratulating her for her promotion and pay raise. Another wonderful day in ER.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #2049
Give me a forum ...

Made apple cider again, this time while Facetiming with our 3 year old grandson. He was fascinated by the process, as he is a hands-on kid. Got a full gallon of cider from a small dishpan of apple mash.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #2050
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I made my Thanksgiving cranberry sauce. It's far better than the commercial stuff IMHO. Less sugary and more like cranberries with a bit of orange tossed in.
How do you get it in the proper can shape for serving?
Old 11-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #2051

I recently joined an R/C airplane club and went to the flying site today, a well-done site. It has two intersecting runways (grass, not paved) elevated stations to put your airplanes on and save yourself bending a lot, and very important, a porta-potty. Hey, it beats a trek to the treeline. And it being a weekday, I had the whole place to myself!

I took three airplanes and flew all of them. Two had never been flown for lack of a suitable flying site. When I was starting to feel tired I was thinking "I should pack up and go home now" and not 30 seconds later hit the outer branches of a tree on the approach to the runway. The airplane escaped the clutches of the tree unscathed, but I took the warning and packed up after landing. A very enjoyable warm (74°) afternoon. Maybe the last one we'll get this year.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #2052
Administrator

I climbed a ladder over and over - cleaning my gutters. Then I bagged most of the remaining leaves in the yard.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #2053
Give me a forum ...

Blew the leaves off roof and then sprayed all the moss with Wet'n'Forget solution. Here in the PNW the moss and algae are relentless.

Informed Amica that my house is now titled to our revocable trust. They informed me the privilege costs me an extra $18 a year. Oh well, I'm sure there is a good reason.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #2054

Finished my fall work for the season today. All the leaves are cleared, lawn mowed, pool closed, patio furniture in the shed, bonsai plants in garage . . . Of course, didn't do this all today, but it's all finished as of today. Felt good to close the shed with everything put up for the season. Should get a break before the winter shoveling (snow thrower) action starts. Winter can be a long cold season of boredom but at least in the early weeks, it's kind of nice sitting by the fireplace and relaxing with some tea and a book (Kindle).
Old 11-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #2055

My gym is closed again for at least four weeks. It's sunny today for a change, so I went for a bike ride for some cardio. The sun felt great, but that low sun angle makes me a little nervous sometimes.

Stretched, showered, and am now baking four loaves of zucchini bread.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #2056
Moderator Emeritus

I was washing my Mustang convertible in the driveway today when a neighbor was in the street looking at my house. So I turned around and saw this!

Hawk_on_roof.jpg

I don't know what kind of hawk this is, but it sure was big (maybe 15"+ tall.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #2057
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

^ My guess is Red-shouldered hawk: https://birdfeederhub.com/hawks-in-texas/
Old 11-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #2058
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
^ My guess is Red-shouldered hawk: https://birdfeederhub.com/hawks-in-texas/
Yep, after looking at the hawks in the article, I would go with that too. When it took off (right over my head) it's wingspan was easily three feet.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #2059

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I was washing my Mustang convertible in the driveway today when a neighbor was in the street looking at my house. So I turned around and saw this!

Attachment 36803

I don't know what kind of hawk this is, but it sure was big (maybe 15"+ tall.
What a beauty!
Old 11-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #2060
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
What a beauty!
Yes, the picture doesn't do it justice. I was using my phone camera and not too steady plus being far away. It was a strikingly beautiful bird.