Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 05:20 AM   #2161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday and today I am at my DD’s house, helping her while she adjusts to being a mom. Our grandson was a surprise Thanksgiving baby (his due date was 12/19).

Although he was about three weeks early he is a good size (6.5 lbs) and never needed to be in an incubator or have any other special care.

Because he was a bit early his parents were not quite ready. They had all the basic necessities in the house but nothing was organized. They had planned to spend the long weekend after Thanksgiving cleaning the house and getting ready, but baby had other ideas.

Yesterday was the son-in-law’s first day back at work and DD asked me to come stay so she wouldn’t be alone. I was here to be an extra set of hands and offer moral support. I was able to provide some tangible help by cleaning the kitchen, making dinner, and doing a few loads of laundry. Some strategic pumping by DD made it possible for me to handle one feeding during the day while she napped and the midnight feeding last night so both parents could get a longer stretch of sleep.

It sure is great to be a Nana!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #2162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cut a big tree down yesterday and cleaned up branches and stacked logs. Today I'm pretty stiff and sore. Lol It looks like a day for some easier tasks today.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #2163

Put up outdoor Christmas lights. Bought and put up tree - not decorated yet. Bought a couple of Christmas presents.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #2164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Yesterday and today I am at my DD’s house, helping her while she adjusts to being a mom. Our grandson was a surprise Thanksgiving baby (his due date was 12/19).

Although he was about three weeks early he is a good size (6.5 lbs) and never needed to be in an incubator or have any other special care.

Because he was a bit early his parents were not quite ready. They had all the basic necessities in the house but nothing was organized. They had planned to spend the long weekend after Thanksgiving cleaning the house and getting ready, but baby had other ideas.

Yesterday was the son-in-law’s first day back at work and DD asked me to come stay so she wouldn’t be alone. I was here to be an extra set of hands and offer moral support. I was able to provide some tangible help by cleaning the kitchen, making dinner, and doing a few loads of laundry. Some strategic pumping by DD made it possible for me to handle one feeding during the day while she napped and the midnight feeding last night so both parents could get a longer stretch of sleep.

It sure is great to be a Nana!
It sure is! Congratulations
Old 12-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #2165
Give me a forum ...

Got two Medicare advertisements in the mail today.
Next year is it for DH and I. Now I start the information gathering for plans and sign ups.....
Old 12-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #2166
Give me a forum ...

Started working on my taxes today so I can make any late December adjustments as/if needed.....
Old 12-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #2167

Put the plow on the truck, cut and split some wood. Hauled the log splitter until the drive belt on the tractor broke. Pushed it back in the shed along with the rest of the stuff. First big snow coming tomorrow. Off to shower then meet friends for dinner.....
Old 12-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #2168

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Put the plow on the truck, cut and split some wood. Hauled the log splitter until the drive belt on the tractor broke. Pushed it back in the shed along with the rest of the stuff. First big snow coming tomorrow. Off to shower then meet friends for dinner.....
I just picked up my new 27 ton log splitter at Home Depot on Monday. I had to take my car trailer down to the city to get it. I got new chains for the plow truck a couple of weeks ago and have used them for plowing already this year.
On another note I got an early present from the propane people today. My bill was $186.00 instead of the normal $500 to $700 this time of year. 😀 I had r49 insulation added to the ceiling and the walls are about r25 or r30. Much better than just the sheathing and shingles of the previous two winters. Next delivery should be even better because the whole time will be with the new insulation.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #2169
Give me a forum ...

Nailed the 2x4 stringers to the cement block wall to serve as a shelf for my deck supports. Just easier that way to locate the 4x6's and do the cemented supports. After I get the supports in I'll separate the deck from the wall.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #2170
Administrator

We bought a Christmas wreath for the front door and what I would call "hanging wreath balls" to take the place of the hanging plants on our porch. (I bet they have a real name; I just don't know it). Then we went to the fish market to get striped bass for dinner, which was quite yummy.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:30 PM   #2171
Moderator Emeritus

It was 60 F today so I did garden work. I cut down and bagged my 6' tall Canna Lilies as they were done in by the frost the other night. Then I raked up a few bags of pine needles. Total to go for recycle is 10 bags of compostables.

I did harvest about 20 Canna seeds for starting next Spring.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:28 PM   #2172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I just picked up my new 27 ton log splitter at Home Depot on Monday. I had to take my car trailer down to the city to get it. I got new chains for the plow truck a couple of weeks ago and have used them for plowing already this year.
On another note I got an early present from the propane people today. My bill was $186.00 instead of the normal $500 to $700 this time of year. 😀 I had r49 insulation added to the ceiling and the walls are about r25 or r30. Much better than just the sheathing and shingles of the previous two winters. Next delivery should be even better because the whole time will be with the new insulation.

Wow, that is a big difference in heating costs.... you braved previous winters with no insulation at all

I scored a nice 20 ton log splitter right here in my town on Craigslist years ago. Guy was asking $800. I showed up, he demo'ed it, and I said "are you firm on your price?", he immediately replied "I'll take $600". Towable, but weighs a freaking ton....
Old 12-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #2173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Started working on my taxes today so I can make any late December adjustments as/if needed.....
Me, too. I don't do estimated payments and my dividends and capital gains always have me owing too much. So, I'll make an IRA withdrawal and have them withhold 100%.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #2174
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gonna be a busy day ...

Our electrical supplier ... PG&E ... is alerting us that due to “severe weather” they are likely to shut down our power grid tomorrow. So I looked up the forecast and it’s going to be 65 degrees here with wind gusts up to 14 mph. That’s PG&E’s version of severe weather!

Today will be gassing up and testing the generator, pulling out the candles and buying fresh batteries. Have to get propane tanks refilled too.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #2175
Recycles dryer sheets

Added an Amazon Firestick to the old tv upstairs and signed up for Disney+. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #2176

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Gonna be a busy day ...

Our electrical supplier ... PG&E ... is alerting us that due to “severe weather” they are likely to shut down our power grid tomorrow. So I looked up the forecast and it’s going to be 65 degrees here with wind gusts up to 14 mph. That’s PG&E’s version of severe weather!

Today will be gassing up and testing the generator, pulling out the candles and buying fresh batteries. Have to get propane tanks refilled too.

We are in the same boat with SoCal Edison. I have the shutdown map, plus I get alerts on my phone.
We have a generator, extension cords, battery operated lights, and two propane tanks.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #2177
Give me a forum ...

Sunny but cool day, so we are getting our outside Christmas lights up today.
Supposed to be rainy all week starting Tuesday.

Last of the Christmas shopping done, mostly on line, did go into one small children's educational store, but only 2 others there at the same time.
I think I am ready for the Christmas season now!
Old 12-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #2178
Give me a forum ...

Went out and picked up some provisions.

Now, what I want to know is, when this is all over and masks are no longer required - how the hell are we going to recognize anybody?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #2179
Give me a forum ...

Picked up a nice gift for my the lady friend at a local small business.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #2180

Went and visited my brother in the rehab place after his recent surgery. He’s in a ground floor room so I stood outside and he opened the window a bit to talk. Got him to laugh a little which was my main goal.