What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday we got our hair cut for the second time this year (the last time was in June!). It was a little nerve-wracking to go into Supercuts but everyone was masked and social distancing. Anyway, I had about 4" cut off and I am much happier with my hair now.

Neither DW nor I have had a haircut since late last Dec. It's not a big deal for me, as I'm bald and the long hair on the side isn't a big deal. It might be able to meet in the middle if I was a combover sort of guy. I thought about continuing to grow it and do the fat bald guy pony tail thing, like the comic book store owner on the Simpsons. But I'm not that fat any more, so it wouldn't work.

DW, on the other hand, has the longest hair she's ever had. Luckily it's pretty curly, and even at 65 she hasn't gone gray, so it tends to look pretty good no matter what. But she's jonesing for a haircut, or at least a trim. I think that's the thing she misses the most from the pandemic. But we're not going to do it until after we get vaccinated. We've gone this long, we can hold out a little longer.

....... But she's jonesing for a haircut, or at least a trim. I think that's the thing she misses the most from the pandemic. But we're not going to do it until after we get vaccinated. We've gone this long, we can hold out a little longer.

Smart that you are holding off until the vaccine. I held off for about 7 months. Went to the barber a couple of months ago. 3 masked lady barbers in there. Only one customer at a time and had to be masked.

I went in again last week. Same 3 lady barbers. Only 1 masked. And another customer with no mask. They are really letting their guard down. Makes no sense. People are taking less precautions now when the threat is more severe than before.

Just me and DW at the lake house Christmas AM. She had found a blood orange mimosa recipe that we wanted to try, so we bought a bottle of champagne at the grocery store yesterday. This morning she squeezes 3 blood oranges into a cup and tells me to grab the champagne from the fridge and open it. I grab it, and pop it, and she says "Wait!"

I had grabbed the $55 bottle that friends had given us for a special celebration, instead of the $15 grocery store bottle from yesterday. And it was now opened. So it had to be consumed. All of it.

2+ mimosas later, I am on the couch having a GREAT late morning nap.

Fresh squeezed blood orange juice, a good champagne, and just trickle of Solerno Blood orange liqueur. Goes well with naps.

Happy Holidays all.....

We are staying home this year but with multiple texts, photos, and videos back and forth with family. We made fried ham & scrambled eggs for breakfast and ate way too much, I'm still stuffed. DW wanted to do a take-off on a SNL skit and sent out a photo of me with two recently acquired R/C airplanes and her in a robe.:LOL:

For those who haven't seen it:

Christmas visit:

Opened presents, ate presents and drank presents. Had coffee and coffee cake. Going to finish up with hot turkey sammies.

Cute youngsters! I see your wife's face in a couple of the girls. You two are so blessed! :cool:

I certainly am.....never had kids, never wanted kids, and now I'm surrounded by them....and loving it....played a lot of 'balloon games' today...batting them to & fro with hands and feet....forgot the perpetual aches & pains for a while....and if they're back tomorrow, (as I'm sure they will be), it's just the 'cost of doing business'. :LOL:

We had a Zoom Christmas this morning. One son, DIL and GD are 500 miles away. Our GS is in New Mexico, the other son, DIL and GD are relatively local.
It was great seeing and talking to them.

Had our son, DIL and grandkids for brunch and presents. It was so nice.....we have missed quite a few holidays and family events with them this year. Brunch turned out well, presents were fun but the best part was just sitting and visiting in person with them. Happy New Year to all!

DW and I spent our first Christmas Day with just the two of us in the 36+ years we've been together. There has always been family for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. No living parents now. The only sibling (wife's) and our only nephew are 1,700 miles away. And our only child is 200 miles away today visiting her friend's parents through the weekend, although we did see them yesterday. First time ever not seeing our DD at Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I have to say I'm a bit down because of that.

Decided to open up the new micro-cut paper shredder. Definitely a step up from the standard cross-cut shredders. Mix the cuttings with the scooped cat litter, and I think we're safe with our shredded documents. :)

We had our two sons, our DIL and our grandson over. Our grandson turned two in November and he's obsessed with airplanes. So after dinner a couple of the adults took some boxes and lots of packing tape and built him an airplane. He's holding a small model of the "Spirit of St Louis". He always has to hold a plane when he's here! And that's his Dad.

The 2nd picture is of him watching his uncle play Animal Crossing. They don't do TV at his house so he's pretty interested in screens.

Attachments

• B3B206F2-5481-4C4A-838E-4EA97892AD1C.jpg
    B3B206F2-5481-4C4A-838E-4EA97892AD1C.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 79A0E2EE-9E7A-4AAF-AE56-D556FE4E7D9E.jpg
    79A0E2EE-9E7A-4AAF-AE56-D556FE4E7D9E.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 52
Other than watching snow and thermometer dropping, currently 17F, nada, zip, nothing.
Tomorrows activity, doing nothing. Well maybe take a "w*rk break" to make lunch and tea or coffee.

I went to the ranch this morning and spent time at the cabin till noon. I then went home and my son and future DIL and her 3 year old daughter came for the rest of the day. We did presents, snacks and dinner till they left, to spend the night at her parents ranch.

I also took a few walks and weather has been so nice.

Just us for the first time in almost 20 years, and really nice to be to be in our own home for Christmas. Our Christmas holidays usually are crazy hectic with extended family (from overseas) week+ long gatherings at DF’s house. I needed a break!

But we were really busy with projects.

Our fridge stopped cooling last Sunday. Fortunately the RV fridge powered up OK, but we were scrambling with coolers and ice for a couple of days while the RV fridge cooled to temp.

Today we are expecting delivery of the replacement. When the original was delivered we took off the house front door to get it in. This time we got smart and ordered a less deep fridge! But do get the old one out without removing the house front door again we had to remove the doors/drawer fronts last night. Fun! (not)

DH is quite the handyman. The manual was clear, but it was not a simple operation! DH immediately knows what tool to use and more amazingly exactly where it is! Normally he can’t find anything. I just help (and measure!)

Attachments

• 56394681-2DD0-466C-961C-553B14EE88E8.jpeg
    56394681-2DD0-466C-961C-553B14EE88E8.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 46
  • CEED5048-5D58-4CB4-8CA1-0AE969A28DEB.jpeg
    CEED5048-5D58-4CB4-8CA1-0AE969A28DEB.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
16°F for my morning run, coldest day of the year. But it felt fine after the first mile so not a problem. What surprised me was the nearly complete lack of traffic. We live near a highway and I've never seen it so empty at 8am, even on a Saturday.

Continued work on the new bathroom. Today I installed a tap and drain into the sink the easy way...before the sink was attached to the vanity so I didn't have to crawl underneath. It made for a nice easy 15 minute job.

Wouldn't you know it...right after we were done GF found a brand new tap still in the box that we bought last year on clearance and completely forgot about. :LOL:

No problem...I used it to replace the old tap in the main bathroom, and of course had to crawl under this time. But when we looked at them after installation we realized that the tap for the new bathroom would look better in the old bathroom and vice versa. So I then swapped both new taps to the other sinks.

One tap installation turned into four tap installations. :LOL:

We had a Zoom Christmas this morning. One son, DIL and GD are 500 miles away. Our GS is in New Mexico, the other son, DIL and GD are relatively local.
It was great seeing and talking to them.

Great! We did the same early Christmas afternoon. My children, siblings, nieces and nephews across 3 continents. 50+ people across the active connections at its peak.

Afterwards we had dinner with youngest DS who lives nearby, then enjoyed a couple of Christmas movies - "Jingle All the Way" (DW had heard of it but never seen it and enjoyed it), and "Jingle Jangle" (new on Netflix, we enjoyed it a lot).

I had a moment of nirvana just now. Not sure if it's called that, but it was a nice experience. It lasted maybe 5 to 10 seconds??

It's cold here, and I already had enough tea for the day, so I heated water in an electric kettle and started pouring some into my thermos to drink. When I was pouring the hot water, the steam started rising up from the thermos. I feel like I fully experienced that moment - I somehow saw beauty in the rising steam. My mind is usually preoccupied with some other thoughts or I just do things haphazardly, but this moment was different. I felt like I was 100% there to experience that particular moment. I was fully immersed in it. I even felt tears come up - all from watching the steam rise, experiencing the beauty of it...

I'm usually not weird like this. I don't meditate or do yoga.

It is especially strange because I was watching The Handmaid's Tale before I stood up to get my hot water. Or maybe I had this strange moment because of the show LOL.

Maybe I should have written this in the paranormal thread. :LOL:

Last edited:
I was watching The Handmaid's Tale

Well, there you go....a break from anything associated with Margaret Atwood would automatically generate a feeling of wellbeing. :LOL:

Well, there you go....a break from anything associated with Margaret Atwood would automatically generate a feeling of wellbeing. :LOL:

:LOL: I thought you might make a comment about my post!

Yeah, a depressing story, eh? But I do see a lot of strength in the protagonist.

:LOL: I thought you might make a comment about my post!

Yeah, a depressing story, eh? But I do see a lot of strength in the protagonist.

"Oh, oh...they're on to me.." ducks and runs.....:greetings10:

(If you look up 'turgid prose' there's a pic of Atwood alongside it. ;) )

Last edited:
Counted up our tax withholding and estimated tax liability for 2020 today. Any amount we owe the IRS should be less than $1000, allowing us to avoid any penalties. State tax withholding appears close to right on the button.

Glad to avoid any tax screw-ups for our first full year of retirement.

DW and I went to nephew's house to deliver presents and see them (his wife and 2 kids). Then went to a local place for nice lunch, get back and the Jeep is dead battery. No jump start working, battery had internal failure.

Called nephew to "rescue" us, and take me to local auto parts store and get a new battery. Swapped out the battery in restaurant parking. Fired right up with new battery. $148 of unplanned expense for the day.

I've had an earworm all day and contrary to the usual experience I've thoroughly enjoyed it. We listened to three different versions of the Nutcracker Suite yesterday, and all the tunes have been running through my head since I got up this morning. It doesn't get much better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom