Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

What did you do today? - 2020 version
Old 12-31-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Administrator

What did you do today? - 2020 version

Another trip around the sun brings another thread. Here is the link to the 2019 WDYDT thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ion-95525.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 11:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Second!

Oh, I guess I need to say what I did today.

Baby sat the grandgirls, had a blast. DW bought these little round dollys at Lidl for $9.99. Not much use for moving furniture, but excellent for little kids to shoot around on the basement floor on. They went home around 9, so we had a quiet evening. Had a hard time finding a ball drop since we only have a Roku stick and no access to local channels, but found something on CBS All Access just in time. A little champagne, a nice kiss, and off to bed. Old folks New Years.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:44 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Paid for the speeding ticked I got on Christmas Day.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:21 AM   #4

DW and I up early to get the dogs fed and walked and then we are attending a first day hike at the nearby national park. Weather will 40-50F and clear, so perfect for hiking.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

DH and I have a long drive home ahead of us: Knoxville to St Louis. We’ve been visiting family since December 23rd. We have an audio book cued up called Once We Were Brothers.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to bed at 1220 am after watching ball drop on tv. Woke up at 733 and got on line here. Been reading posts since then, exciting stuff huh!
Old 01-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of my bands rang in the new year playing a gig at a local establishment last night.

Today we're packing for a road trip. We're driving 1180 kms tomorrow, 1120 Friday, and 660 on Saturday.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

We started the year by selling our boat . What a great day !
Old 01-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
Administrator

Yesterday, I watched Navy beat Kansas State in the Liberty Bowl. Then enjoyed our traditional New Year's Eve rack of lamb dinner with a first rate Pomerol. After dinner, we played the annual Scrabble game and rang in the New Year sipping a 1977 vintage Warre's Port.

This morning, I got up and made cranberry scones and walnut honey butter for them. The young wife made the traditional smoked chicken (I smoked it at home last week) and butternut squash hash with poached egg on top. I uncorked a bottle of Veuve Clicqout, then we sat down to the same New Year's brunch we have enjoyed for 29 years in a row. This year was, however, the first time we have ever had company for it.

Just finished washing all the dishes.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #10

Yesterday I saw the kids off to the airport at 3:30am via Uber (blow that dough) then went back to sleep until 7. Walked the dog then stripped the guest beds and started laundry as friends who moved to Colorado a few years ago needed a place to stay for a few days while visiting their daughter (who has two small children and no guest room). Finished prepping the guest room then out for errands - mailing the things DD forgot, returning gifts to Amazon, and a bit of grocery shopping.

Made turkey soup from the leftovers from last Friday's big dinner while watching Duke cream Boston College in basketball, then enjoyed it with some bubbly. Watched Texas cream Utah in football then saw the ball drop and headed to bed.

Today has been quiet - watched the Rose Parade, did some yard work, now catching up on a few things before settling in for more football and making Hoppin' John for dinner.

Happy 2020, all!
Old 01-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #11

My son and I tried to get the tractor started a couple of days ago. it started for a bit and then died. Tried again this morning with no luck. Just as I was starting to put things away to wait for warmer weather, it dawned on me that I forgot to turn the gas petcock at the gas tank on. It starts and runs much better when it has the gas flowing! DS and I are restocking the wood shed today.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #12

Sick as a dog sitting in my recliner still in my PJ's eating homemade chicken soup and watching the NHL winter classic.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #13

Since DW does most of the cooking, I decided to surprise for lunch on New Year's Day.
I ordered some lobster meat from Bar Harbor, Maine. It got here yesterday (whew). I got the recipe from Bon Appetit, and picked a lemon and some chives from our little patch of ground. I toasted some rolls in butter, and made her the first lobster rolls she has had since our trip to Maine, some years ago.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #14

The most important thing I did today was to uphold the tradition my great-great grandparents brought over from northern Germany 171 years ago. You must have a piece of pickled herring on New Year's Day in order to have good luck throughout the coming year.

I've only defaulted on the tradition once in my life, because I see no reason to tempt fate.

Of course, it does help that I really enjoy pickled herring, and eat it all year long.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #15

Took down the Christmas tree and packed away the decorations. Much to my mother’s consternation, I culled some of my unwanted/unused decorations, to be donated or tossed. Honestly mother, if I haven’t wanted to use it in the past five years I’m sure I can live without the crocheted snowman[emoji849]

Now ready for some yoga and a shower. Looking forward to watching a new Doctor Who later tonight.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The most important thing I did today was to uphold the tradition my great-great grandparents brought over from northern Germany 171 years ago. You must have a piece of pickled herring on New Year's Day in order to have good luck throughout the coming year.

I've only defaulted on the tradition once in my life, because I see no reason to tempt fate.

Of course, it does help that I really enjoy pickled herring, and eat it all year long.
Great tradition! I just had some for me, DH and the two kitties. DH was very appreciative as I'm sure were the kitties .

A nice walk later this afternoon then cooking DH's favorite dinner. All in all, a nice quiet day.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #17

Nice mellow day today. 47 degrees and sunny, although breezy. I had lunch with my mom and sis and did a little shopping. Hanging around the house with my DH and we had two nice outside walks today. January in Iowa!
Old 01-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

First hike of 2020. Ordered a Sous Vide cooker. Woodworking - made a photo frame. Now getting ready to order the pizza that we weren't hungry enough for yesterday.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

ROMEO group meet at 8:00 AM at Burger King, then took DW for breakfast.

This afternoon we went to a New Years Day party at a friend's house. Back home to watch the rest of the Rose Bowl (DW is napping...probably for the rest of the evening/night).
Old 01-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Honestly mother, if I haven’t wanted to use it in the past five years I’m sure I can live without the crocheted snowman

Please tell me that you didn't toss the Christmas trees made from the Reader's Digest magazines? Those are family heirlooms!

Spent the day renovating the shed attached to our winter place. It will become a 'bed-in-the-shed' kind of place. Pulled down the paneling and stapled up ceiling tiles, took down the furring strips that the ceiling tiles were held to. Wired up 4 LED ceiling fixtures and moved a couple outlets. Getting ready to replace the plumbing, and then comes the joy of dry-walling!