Join Early Retirement Today

Probably the weirdest post ever, bear with me
Old 02-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Probably the weirdest post ever, bear with me

Back in the 1980's or perhaps earlier, my mother gave me (and my brothers) some mutual funds for Christmas. Not a whole lot - - I think she was just trying to get us acquainted with the idea of investing.

It didn't take - - I had those paper certificates in the back of my socks drawer for years. During that time I moved 25-30 times. Yes, really, pretty insane, huh?

Anyway around 2002 I sold all the ones I could find but had lost some of them at some point, probably in one of those moves. By default they were being handled by a company I had never heard of back east, and I didn't know how to sell them if I didn't have the certificates (and didn't look into it, too swamped with career, divorce, and other matters).

Every Christmas that company would ask me if I wanted the cash dividend or more shares, and I would opt for the cash. In a sentimental way I thought of it as a Christmas present (of about $100) from my dear sweet mom, who passed away in 2007.

This week they sent me some extra paperwork that indicated they have a website that I could log in to. How cool! They entered the modern age. Glory be. Anyway I wasn't hopeful (without those paper certificates). But here's what I did today: I went there, set up an account, logged in, and SOLD those shares. !!!

Guess I should have looked into it years ago but was feeling so nostalgic, heartbroken, and sentimental about my Mom that every time I tried I just couldn't. Anyway, I wanted to post about it here because I don't know any other group that would understand being all mushy and sentimental about some mutual fund shares.

(I mean, it's not like a puppy...)

I am happy that I am getting some money, and I don't have to worry about it ending up as unclaimed property once I pass (many years from now hopefully). One more loose end, probably the worst, all tied up now.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #242
Administrator

Today, I listened to the blizzard howl outside my windows. I also ate a great chicken parmesan for dinner. If I haven't mentioned it, the young wife is a fantastic cook.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Today, I listened to the blizzard howl outside my windows. I also ate a great chicken parmesan for dinner. If I haven't mentioned it, the young wife is a fantastic cook.
Brr!! Glad you were nice and warm inside, with a nice warm chicken parmesan dinner. Being retired is so nice in inclement weather; no more need to commute.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Anyway, I wanted to post about it here because I don't know any other group that would understand being all mushy and sentimental about some mutual fund shares.
Aww, that story was great!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #245

In the last couple of days I've had phone conversations with Delta customer service people, and they have an interesting procedure. At the end of the call, they ask you to take a one-question survey. OK, no problem.

What they ask is "On a scale of 1 to 5, how likely would you be to hire the person you just spoke with in a customer service role?"

I thought that was the best survey I've ever heard of, and it could obviously be very useful to them.

Incidentally, I gave them both a 5. Great service!
Old 02-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #246

This morning we went out and cleaned up the last remaining bits of snow that fell overnight and now that the wind is higher we plan on just staying inside. A programmable R/C radio receiver that I'd ordered arrived and I'll play with that a bit and maybe install it in an airplane later on. This one has the altimeter/variometer built in - no need for an extra plug-in for altitude information.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #247
Administrator

Got up at 6 am and went out to deal with all the snow left by yesterday's blizzard. It was nice being out there all alone. Eventually some of the neighbors came out to do their shoveling and we chatted a bit.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #248
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Installed a new outdoor thermometer and much to my surprise it's working. I didn't know it was 50 out. Cleaned up the remaining snow on the driveway almost to the road. Good as its going to start snowing tonight and into tomorrow.
The bodyshop is done with my Model Y and the tow service wanted to schedule delivery; he's going to try Thursday if the weather clears. Two and a half months, they told me 8 weeks and there was paint protection film that took another 2 weeks with scheduling and cure time. Hopefully it's as right as they've lead me to believe.
Ran a couple last minute errands before the snow.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #249

Spent the day at the ranch went down to the river and eat my lunch. Mostly froze over but a lot is open and water is running. The ice if you throw just a quarter size rock it goes right through that slush/ice. A very dangerous thing this time of year.

I did some hiking in the hills and did some carving. A beautiful 55 degree day with full sun and no breeze. Life is very good.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:41 PM   #250

It was in the 50s here in the mountains today so a great day to replace the broken parts on the snow plow. That took a couple hours. Then I plowed the snow off a neighbor's driveway. They want to come up next weekend and pull their trailer out. They may need some help getting out of the valley. With the plow down for the last couple months, there is quite a bit of packed snow and ice on the road leading to their drive.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:32 PM   #251

I went with a friend to his cabin today to measure for a new roof and deck....we picked the wrong day as it was 60kph winds with blowing snow!!

I calculated how many bundles of shingles he needs and drew him a plan for a wraparound deck about 550 sq ft., and gave him a list of the required lumber, posts, cement pads, etc.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #252

Busy day for me!
Went to pick up groceries at local Kroger with only one substitution, went to library to pick up books (reserved pick up times and outside spaced 6 feet apart), going to get haircut later today (only two stations open in the facility, 4 people max)
Everybody masked, luckily we rarely see folks with no masks anymore.
Wet, rainy day. a good day to stay inside with a great book!
Old 02-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #253
Dryer sheet aficionado

Entered the realm of single digits until retirement. 9 days left!
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #254

Learned how to program an ESC (electronic speed control) for R/C airplanes via the transmitter. This allows setups for motor braking, motor reversal, and for helicopters, times for autorotation and sundry other esoteric stuff.

Best news, got an appointment for the first vaccination shot on Saturday! The health department learned from the cluster a few weeks ago and now everything is appointment-only.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #255
Administrator

Removed the snow pile at end of my driveway that was redeposited by the city snowplow late yesterday. Walked to the bank to deposit a check.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #256
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Turned a bit too sharply while backing out of the driveway and clipped a tree. Ordered a new tail light assembly from Amazon.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #257
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsander View Post
Entered the realm of single digits until retirement. 9 days left!

Congrats. Here's hoping for a speedy 9 days.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #258

Walked along the lakeshore and looked at some cool ice caves. And enjoyed a spectacular sunset.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #259
Dryer sheet aficionado

Got my first Covid 19 vaccine shot today.
greengo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:35 AM   #260
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I went to a drive thru CV 19 vaccine for our innoculation yesterday. Later in the afternoon DW ask what I wanted for supper. I was craving some Sesame Chicken W/ eggroll &fried rice! We drug out the Chinese checkers for a game after that.(-;
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote