Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 05:44 AM   #261
Moderator Emeritus

Got Covid vaccine dose #1, picked up some woodworking supplies, then mostly slept for the next 19 hours.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Getting ready to leave the house for vax #1...whoohoo .
Old 02-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

will be watching DGS while mom is at appt., at 15 months old, he is a busy boy!
The 6 kids/grands are the only people in our bubble for this past year.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #264
Administrator

I took the young wife to visit a small, decrepit trailer park.

We always leave the house while our cleaning lady is here. Originally, just to stay out of her way, but now because it is safer for all of us. Today, she did not have her helper, so we knew we'd need to be gone an extra long time. So we decided to take a drive over to the eastern side of Connecticut.

First, we walked around downtown Mystic, where the two of us had lived in 1985-86, when I was in the Navy. (although mostly her, since I was under water for the great majority of that time). On a whim, and because we still had time to kill, I drove up to Norwich (for those who don't know CT, it's one of our poorer cities) and found the dumpy trailer park (about a dozen trailers) where I lived in 1964, when I was 5 years old. I had not seen it since my family moved away that year, and the young wife had never seen it. She was duly impressed, although perhaps more so by my ability to find it after 57 years.

On the rest of the drive back home, I had time to contemplate just how far I have come in my life and just how much I appreciate where I am now.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #265

I called Goodwill yesterday about their new donation hours. He said 'only Thursdays from 11 to whenever the bins are full, best to get there at 10:45.' Did as told & was #4 in line. Cars 1&2 filled 1 bin. Truck filled 2nd bin. Items in trunk & backseat filled 3rd bin (I packed it) just before 11am. Left feeling good that my house decluttering is done but looked at the long line that was still there and glad I listened to get there by 10:45. A lot of those will be returning next week unless everyone else has only 1 bag

Was at dog park in the next city by 11:30
Old 02-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I took the young wife to visit a small, decrepit trailer park.

We always leave the house while our cleaning lady is here. Originally, just to stay out of her way, but now because it is safer for all of us. Today, she did not have her helper, so we knew we'd need to be gone an extra long time. So we decided to take a drive over to the eastern side of Connecticut.

First, we walked around downtown Mystic, where the two of us had lived in 1985-86, when I was in the Navy. (although mostly her, since I was under water for the great majority of that time). On a whim, and because we still had time to kill, I drove up to Norwich (for those who don't know CT, it's one of our poorer cities) and found the dumpy trailer park (about a dozen trailers) where I lived in 1964, when I was 5 years old. I had not seen it since my family moved away that year, and the young wife had never seen it. She was duly impressed, although perhaps more so by my ability to find it after 57 years.

On the rest of the drive back home, I had time to contemplate just how far I have come in my life and just how much I appreciate where I am now.
Nice to reflect and be thankful. I try to think like that most of the time.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

When I went out front I realized it was a total sheet of ice. I discovered that when I was moving DW'S Wrangler out and over so I could put the Tesla in the garage when it was delivered. Managed to get the Wrangler back to the middle of the garage and threw down some kitty litter and ice melt hoping the sun would hit it.

I checked my email and found something from the new Megacorp. What do these jokers want with me? It was from their retirement department telling me to log into Netbenifts to see my $9700 award for the fund company losing money a pile of my money(Megacorp is still fighting a decent settlement). I couldn't transfer it myself and Fidelity wasn't any help till my cell rang and my Model Y is outside! It looks great but I wasn't prepared for it in ice. I finally got it in the garage where it can thaw.

I made a batch of chocolate truffles and still need to temper chocolate and coat them but now I have to take DW to hand therapy.

I
Old 02-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #268

Played around some more with programming an R/C radio receiver this time. The electronics for this stuff is getting amazing. Little tiny computers/auto-pilots in them if you want.

At the moment I'm grilling some marinated chicken breasts. We'll cut those up and mix them in with... we'll think of something. Weather the next couple of days is due to be somewhat nasty.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

I have been putting off going through some old records, tax records, bank statements etc. of my mother/father. I had 3 large plastic bags when I stopped and burned them all today in a barrel out on cement patio. It took about an 1.5 hours to get everything burned.

We also rearranged one of our living rooms the one I use. Hung some large paintings and mounts and carvings and is a nice change for my room.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #270

Got the final parts, some shims, to make my old Thule rack fit on the Honda CR-V I bought recently. It's taken me a few weeks to find the necessary fit kit parts on eBay. I did not want to shell out $400+ bucks for a new rack! Just got the rack on, and stopped kicking myself for putting an old Thule fit kit on the giveaway table at work some years ago. I'd used it on an Acura I sold, and am pretty sure it would have worked on the Honda.

But another kicker is that I bought an aftermarket retractable cargo cover for the Honda online for $75. Felt good about that because the cover from Honda is twice as much. But then on Tuesday I saw a like-new cover at a thrift store for $10, and Tuesday is senior day, so it would have been $5! Oh the agony!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #271

It is raining all day today so this morning I baked Walnut Cranberry Buttermilk scones and this afternoon Brunswick Stew is on the menu. I didn't have any squirrel or possum for the stew so I had to use chicken. Oh well.

Cheers!
Old 02-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #272

Got my first COVID-19 shot this morning, and already have the appointment scheduled for the second shot on Feb 27.

Played around some more with this new R/C receiver gear on the bench. This is some fancy stuff, some really smart people developed this.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #273
Recycles dryer sheets

Been doing a lot of thinking about what comes next and today was another day for that. Aspirations, plans, goals big and small. Thinking about how I want to spend the coming years and where. My brothers and sister live in another state and lately, I often consider moving near them as we are all getting older. I also enjoy the beach. As my net worth increases, more than I expected and sooner than I ever imagined, I realize that I will have even more choices available to me in the near future.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #274

did the first pass at the taxes in TurboTax. got to double and then triple check everything (still missing a 1099) but looks like we owe a bit over $500 to the feds and a bit under $500 to the state.

for a while TT was indicating that we owed the feds $333,000 on a $1.2 million income. errant decimal point in one entry. lmao!
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 02-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #275
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
did the first pass at the taxes in TurboTax. got to double and then triple check everything (still missing a 1099) but looks like we owe a bit over $500 to the feds and a bit under $500 to the state.

for a while TT was indicating that we owed the feds $333,000 on a $1.2 million income. errant decimal point in one entry. lmao!

Wow. 333k!

I have started the taxes. Going to complete first run through tomorrow.....
Old 02-06-2021, 07:27 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaneesr View Post
Wow. 333k!

I have started the taxes. Going to complete first run through tomorrow.....

I enter them as I receive the 1099's. I am waiting for 1099's from Fido and Morgan Stanley to finish up.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #277
Moderator Emeritus

Got vaccine dose #2 and then played 18 holes of golf. Played pretty well for my age.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:21 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
We have a blizzard warning, starting tonight... DH and I got in a very nice neighborhood walk...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
... Went for a 4k walk...
Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
... Took a walk ... It snowed with icy roads...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
... After the first snowblower run and lunch we went for a walk around the neighborhood...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
... Took the doggie for a very short walk in between drizzles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went for a snowy 5 mile hike...
Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
...Took a walk down along the river, hauled some wood on sled up to the cabin and eat lunch there. Went down and cut some river bar willow and did some small wreath hoops up in the warm cabin...
Quote:
Day 1 of the storm...
DW and I walked around the neighborhood, only saw one couple...
Quote:
Went downtown to the riverwalk with our little dog... The forecast suggests two storms dropping 12"-18" over the next few days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Walked about a mile on the lake today. About a 6 degree windchill...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Yesterday took nearly a mile walk on our very frozen lake. 21 degrees and 20mph wind...
Quote:
Got up to fresh fluffy snow! Another 5" last night maybe, it's getting hard to tell. It's been snowing all last night and today another4" has fallen...

We chatted with a fellow former-Missourian while we were walking, we are both staying off the roads...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Got up about 10:30am, had breakfast, looked out window to see if I should put on my walking shoes and do my five mile daily walk...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Removed the snow pile at end of my driveway that was redeposited by the city snowplow late yesterday. Walked to the bank to deposit a check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Walked along the lakeshore and looked at some cool ice caves. And enjoyed a spectacular sunset.

When it's cold, snowy, or rainy, what do some people do? They walk.

"All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk
On a winter's day..."

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I enter them as I receive the 1099's. I am waiting for 1099's from Fido and Morgan Stanley to finish up.
i usually do, too but i procrastinated in setting up a new Win10 PC when i learned that TurboTax wouldn't install on anything less. finished that about a week ago. ordered TT Deluxe (i prefer the CD instead of the download) and received it on Thursday. had a bit of a problem importing the 2019 data but got that solved using a backup. so, just one more 1099 that is scheduled for release on Feb 16 and we're done. since it lookks like we owe we won't be filing till April.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 02-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

A bit of a rant...

I recently sold my pool table and have to replace the hanging lights with recessed lights. Of course the ones I have are no longer in stock, but even if they were the price has gone up from $80 for 6 to $55 each. But, since they don't match I'd have a ceiling with 16 lights of one style and 4 of a different style. I can swap the 4 lights out of the new bedroom and put the different ones there and it won't be noticeable. But then I'm paying $220 for 4 recessed lights.

Luckily I found someone on kijiji selling 4 similar but not the same lights for $40. So today I bought the lights and put them in the bedroom and then used the ones I took out for the rec room. 2 hours of work but saved $180.
Closed Thread