Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Its been a busy weekend. Took an overloaded car full of stuff to Goodwill, a few hikes, dog park this morning but left when there were 3 dz people there, and now prepping 3 small platters for Super Bowl. There's just 4 of us but I still like variety (fruit, veggies + dip, egg rolls later pizza for dinner). DD is bringing some munchies & drinks.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2021, 08:25 PM   #282
Full time employment: Posting here.

I worked again. Only a short bit and I can post in the proper spirit of the thread
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finally got done with integrating the additional 8 solar panels mounted on the roof and also the new 12-kWh battery into the DIY solar storage system and a 4th 2.4-kW inverter.

The system previously had 20 ground-mounted panels and 22 kWh of storage. It now has a total of 8 kW of solar generation and 34 kWh of storage.

I had to take the system down for installation of new components and rewiring. The loss of solar power in the recent weeks is evident in the plot below of the electric usage off the grid in the past 36 months.

My grid usage was ironically higher in the winter than in the summer once the solar system was in operation, even though the harsh 120F summer here requires the AC to run nearly throughout the 24 hours (lowest nighttime temp was 90F). The reason was that in the winter my ground-mounted panels suffer from severe shading by my 2-story home.

Before this expansion, the solar storage reduced my August bill from $350 to $89. Max daily usage went from 100 kWh/day down to 35 kWh. A lot of savings comes from not using the grid during the peak demand period, which overlaps with the maximum solar generation hours. With more solar panels and battery storage, I hope to extend the operation further into the night to support the ACs.

Now with the additional panels on the roof, I should be getting more juice year round. It's too late in the season to see how the winter grid usage will be reduced, and I will not know until next year. I am looking forward to see how low my electric bill is going to be this summer. I can never reduce it to zero due to fixed charges.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:14 PM   #284

Having a rough day.

Older son calls and says he's on the way home from work... He and most of his coworkers were laid off. He's online applying for unemployment and for 3 local jobs. He's frustrated with the forms and grumping at everyone.

Hubster is having issues getting an IRA transferred. The bank he had IRA CDs at was taken over by a different bank. He gets statements mailed to us (in CA) but when he called them to get info about current balances etc they wouldn't confirm him because they still had our 20 years ago address on file (in PA). They kept insisting he lived in PA and should go into a local office. He pointed out they *had* the current address because he gets mail from them. Finally gets them to work with him - turns out they want a medallion signature for the transfer.

We bank with a credit union. Call them to find out if they do medallion signature... Sit on hold for 10 minutes before being offered a callback by the auto hold system. (It's been 2 hours, no call back yet.). Ask a friend who works at the credit union... no medallion signature available. I have Schwab - which offers it (and is what we used last time we needed this) but they are open by appointment only and do not answer the phone at the local brick and mortor. Have a message in to find out how I can get a medallion signature. We have a local chase bank which offers medallion for account holders... I have my zero % subaru car loan through chase... Called to see if this qualifies me as an account holder.... They don't answer the phone and the recording for the local branch phone tells you use their drive up banking. Their drive up banking is an ATM.... Sigh.

How do you get a medallion signature during a pandemic when branches are closed for in person services.

Hubster finally calls the bank in PA back - they confirm that a notorized signature will be ok.... First rep didn't know that they'd modified policy because of the pandemic.

The bank that has the IRA CDs that hubster wants to transfer emailed him some info in a pdf... it's all badly scanned sheets in the wrong orientation (portrait pages scanned in landscape, cutting off mid page.) He gets frustrated trying to print it because it's oriented wrong and cuts info off... I calm him down and sort it out.

Then younger son needed something while - so I run upstairs - tripping along the way... and nail BOTH knees... The left knee was nailed just right... and is now swelling.

I want a do-over.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Having a rough day.
I want a do-over.
Do not, under any circumstances, get out of bed tomorrow. You owe it to yourself.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #286
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Having a rough day.

Older son calls and says he's on the way home from work... He and most of his coworkers were laid off. He's online applying for unemployment and for 3 local jobs. He's frustrated with the forms and grumping at everyone.

Hubster is having issues getting an IRA transferred. The bank he had IRA CDs at was taken over by a different bank. He gets statements mailed to us (in CA) but when he called them to get info about current balances etc they wouldn't confirm him because they still had our 20 years ago address on file (in PA). They kept insisting he lived in PA and should go into a local office. He pointed out they *had* the current address because he gets mail from them. Finally gets them to work with him - turns out they want a medallion signature for the transfer.

We bank with a credit union. Call them to find out if they do medallion signature... Sit on hold for 10 minutes before being offered a callback by the auto hold system. (It's been 2 hours, no call back yet.). Ask a friend who works at the credit union... no medallion signature available. I have Schwab - which offers it (and is what we used last time we needed this) but they are open by appointment only and do not answer the phone at the local brick and mortor. Have a message in to find out how I can get a medallion signature. We have a local chase bank which offers medallion for account holders... I have my zero % subaru car loan through chase... Called to see if this qualifies me as an account holder.... They don't answer the phone and the recording for the local branch phone tells you use their drive up banking. Their drive up banking is an ATM.... Sigh.

How do you get a medallion signature during a pandemic when branches are closed for in person services.

Hubster finally calls the bank in PA back - they confirm that a notorized signature will be ok.... First rep didn't know that they'd modified policy because of the pandemic.

The bank that has the IRA CDs that hubster wants to transfer emailed him some info in a pdf... it's all badly scanned sheets in the wrong orientation (portrait pages scanned in landscape, cutting off mid page.) He gets frustrated trying to print it because it's oriented wrong and cuts info off... I calm him down and sort it out.

Then younger son needed something while - so I run upstairs - tripping along the way... and nail BOTH knees... The left knee was nailed just right... and is now swelling.

I want a do-over.

Wow.

On the bright side, tomorrow will almost certainly be better.
swaneesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #287

Quote:

I've always dreading doing anything IRA related with my B&M bank. Some years ago before I started moving my accounts out, I went in to make a contribution to an IRA I had there. No one there knew how to do it! The branch manager said, "We're not used to this, usually people are taking money out of their IRAs." Huh?? Had to go back two more times to complete the contribution. Last month I had a CD in an IRA mature, and had to make a couple phone calls and two trips to get them to cut me a check for an indirect transfer to my Vanguard IRA. I have one more IRA to move via direct transfer in a few months. According to Vanguard, I can initiate the transfer with them and it should be painless, except for the $25 fee that the bank charges. We'll see!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:18 PM   #288

got the final 1099-div today and finished with turbo tax. we owe about $600...$500 to the feds and $100 to the state. nice to have it done even though we won't be filing till april.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When it's cold, snowy, or rainy, what do some people do? They walk.

"All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk
On a winter's day..."

LOL! You are very observant.
Retired people are boring!! Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When it's cold, snowy, or rainy, what do some people do? They walk.

"All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk
On a winter's day..."

Well, there are other things to do that probably wouldn't get posted here...
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:46 AM   #291
Recycles dryer sheets

I was trying to finish up taxes and realized we didn't have 1099's from our bank for my DW. I called and after the runaround game of phones finally spoke with our "Personal banker" yeah right. This was true at one time but all our people we knew there have either retired or been "downsized". Anyway she told us that the reason was that they didn't have an address for her,and that she had been contacted by quite a few others about this. We had closed out 1 CD each in Aug. that were IRA's but then she said that DW had closed another IRA cd as well. Nope we both only closed the one. She called back at 5:45 pm to let us know she had found DW's records and was sending copies to our local branch and we could go there to pick them up. This lady is in the branch in our old town. So today we will have to go the branch in this town and try to get this fixed. we will see.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #292
Recycles dryer sheets

Defrosting the chest freezer. We're taking advantage of the -5 deg. temp outside. We just put all the frozen goods in cardboard boxes and set them on a bench on the patio - no worries about getting it back into the freezer ASAP.

We set a small 1200w electric space heater on a baking rack inside the freezer to speed up the process.

Of course, we have to keep an eye on the goodies so squirrels, neighbor's dogs and other critters don't get into it!
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #293
Administrator

I did my bi-weekly grocery run this morning. You don't get excitement like this every day!

One good thing is that I scored two 12 packs of Diet Moxie. It's the Holy Grail of sodas.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
Defrosting the chest freezer. We're taking advantage of the -5 deg. temp outside. We just put all the frozen goods in cardboard boxes and set them on a bench on the patio - no worries about getting it back into the freezer ASAP.

We set a small 1200w electric space heater on a baking rack inside the freezer to speed up the process.

Of course, we have to keep an eye on the goodies so squirrels, neighbor's dogs and other critters don't get into it!
Ah, yes! I do this every year (or two), and I didn't remember to do it yet. So thanks for the reminder. And we have the perfect weather right now...
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #295
Give me a forum ...

Decided to go to the ranch for the day was debating because of the cold weather but went any way. I was -8 with a wind chill of -26 below. Lol I took a good walk and seen some mule deer and found a small whitetail horn. I cut a few long willows from the river to make a few things with them. It was very cold but stayed warm hiking and felt good to be out and about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6108.jpg (85.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6110.jpg (44.9 KB, 158 views)
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #296
Moderator Emeritus

Finished an online photo class and did some woodworking. But did not shovel snow for the first time in several days.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:54 PM   #297
Moderator Emeritus

Amazon delivered my new cable modem an hour ago (my old one completely cratered).

Installing a new cable modem is SO EASY compared with years ago. I hooked it up, then got online using F's wireless so I could chat with Cox's representative, give him the MAC address and other such info, and get it hooked up. He was terrific and got it working right away.

Then he sold me on a higher speed cable plan. (Little did he know that I already was planning to do this, which is why I got a better cable modem than before! ) He gave me a good price on it. So I am back online, and faster than greased lightning. Eat your hearts out, you Jamón Ibérico fans!

For me (perhaps ONLY for me), this is the best way imaginable to Blow That Dough.
happy happy joy joy
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #298
Moderator Emeritus

Started transferring PenFed IRA CD's that matured to my Schwab IRA on Jan 8th. It's now Feb 9th and still waiting. That's all I am going to say for now.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #299
Moderator Emeritus

Went to 12 week post op foot surgery doc appt, hardwood dealer, woodworking supply store, xfinity to return old modem, jewelry store for DW, check on MIL. Then went to grocery store, liquor store, health food store, hardware store, accountant and bank for her.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #300
Recycles dryer sheets

Got out for a workout this morning on my mountain bike. My riding partners were on e-assist bikes and I was on my old school full-suspension rig. Chased them up and around the mountains for a couple hours. Then hit the gym in the afternoon.

Now about ready to put a couple of steaks on the grill for dinner. Another awesome day in the land of retirement.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote