Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went to get some groceries, DW said to get fish. I picked up three of these instead.[emoji56]

We went up north a little bit, just where the pavements ends. People sledding on one side of the road and snowshoeing, xcountry skiing on the other. We weren't dressed properly but took a short walk anyway. Probably go back tomorrow or Monday for a longer walk.

I received a end of the year report from the attorneys representing a group of former employees suing Megacorp and the fund company for negligence regarding profit sharing money I still had there. They said Fidelity would be contacting us regarding our distribution received from the fund company. A friend said hers was deposited last week. I keep checking Fidelity and nothing showed up. I hit a different tab, Net Worth, and suddenly a retirement account from Megacorp shows the 10k I was told I'd receive. Woo hoo, this is just the start! I lost over 100k in this fund and according to the attorneys they are seeking our entire losses and the loss of use of the funds. Since it's covered by ERISA the attorneys fees are paid by Megacorp and we get our full settlement! I joined this thing without expecting a dime, I only joined the suite when my friend said the former CEO, CFO were part of it. 20210102_115804.jpeg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Who gets the screaming role?
Unteroffizier Nemo

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Sounds exciting to have a new ride! If I may ask did you get one with the option of All Wheel Drive? If so do they stay in all wheel drive all the time or do you choice the mode you want?

Gas or Diesel?

I did not get an AWD. GM used to do a diesel option for the Equinox, but has not done so in recent years. I am not a car enthusiast, so just recently learned that the Equinox line has been around since 2004.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I had to look what the car was when you posted and I also am not a car enthusiast. It does look like a great outfit for when you travel and is very economical on the highway.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dug up about 10 Horseradish plants. Will clean and shred them tomorrow and put the shoots in the ground for this fall's harvest. If I remember to, I'll take pics. Had a good crop. Already the neighbors are standing in line for their jar.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:00 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I have been scanning old photos and documents, and I've been on Ancestry trying pin down information. We have a doctor's bill from 1904, 8 visits in 8 days, for $16, for DH's adoptive great-great-grandfather. It didn't work out too well; he died in 1905. I also located names and birthdays for my own l great-great-grandparents who never left Tiflis, Russia (now Georgia). when the great-grandparents trekked from Russia to Portland Oregon with four children, ages 2-9 years in 1907. They had 7 more after arriving to the U.S.

This afternoon I spent two hours on Zoom at a high school band/jazz band/orchestra reunion held by our band director. It was amazing fun and we want to get together again before too long. I have been in contact with several of them over the years, but it was fun to talk about funny events, favorite events, least favorite events, etc.

I took a walk before dark. Made a batch of low carb rolls. DS and DH are getting restless staying at home so much. I'm starting to as well.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Cleared a trail at camp, then came home.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Drove DSD to Los Angeles (UCLA) and dropped her off at the apartment with provisions and a ninety pound coffee table that yours truly lugged up 4 flights of stairs. Then we drove back. Left at 9:30 am and returned at 8:30 pm.

Ate road food with the mobile spice kit (disposable salt & pepper shaker) now required for elegant covid in car meals.

I'm beat. Now drinking whisky and soon to bed -
Old 01-03-2021, 06:22 AM   #29

Since it was raining all day on the 1st I called my best friend to see if he wanted to take our annual Jan1st polar bear ride on Jan 2nd. He did so we met him and his DW about 10o am and headed out for the mountains. Got to restaurant about 11:30 and there were 6 other bikes in the lot and 10 people inside. We were seated a comfortable distance from everyone else and had a great meal. Then we loaded back up and rode back home through a twisty road. Got home around 3 pm and had the last Christmas package for darling GD sitting there so we took it to her. Spent a couple of hours with them and back home. It was a good day!
Old 01-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #30

Looking over my finances planning the new year. Challenging since many of the more expensive items depends on when I'm vaccinated.

Steaming a rib of lamb for dinner.

Inbetween I'm reading a Donald Duck cartoon I bought for Christmas. Always buy one since it's become one of my season traditions. Still love reading those. And once a year is a suitable dose.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #31

Took our new Advanced Elements inflatable kayaks out for the second time, and continue to be impressed with how well and thoughtfully they are constructed, and how well they perform in the water. Stopped off at Balboa Island midway through our Newport Harbor paddle to pick up lunch to go, which we ate back at the kayaks. Outstanding paddle, weather, and day.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #32

A rainy cold yucky day so we're going to do nothing.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
we're going to do nothing.
Ooh ooh ooh...I've done that....it was great!!

Old 01-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #34

Don't know what I'm doing but this is the Horseradish I harvested. Tops are back in the ground for this Fall. Roots washed and will be peeled and ground tomorrow. Too cold today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210103_190927246[1].jpg (815.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Set up first year of required minimum distributions from my Thrift Savings Plan account. Oh joy, more taxes
Old 01-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #36

Celebrating my 4th anniversary or FIRE'ing. Wow, can't believe it has been that long..... until I stop and think about all that I have done/has happened in those 4 years. Never been busier.

But reflecting on my age, and as I told a friend on a Zoom call last year, I said "I have accepted the fact that halftime is over, and we are well into the third quarter." Interesting times ahead, bought a second home 2019, trying to figure out where/when to move, DW retiring in a year and a half. Kind of a "do it while you still can" attitude.

Fun times ahead for sure.....
Old 01-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Watching the market crater on the first trading day of the year. Couldn't you guys wait a few days to take your annual withdrawal/RMD instead of everyone pulling it out today?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #38

Still doing year end/beginning financial stuff, and beginning to mentally pack/organize for our three weeks in Puerto Rico beginning Thursday
Old 01-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Since effective today, our protective father the Guv. magnanimously allowed the public to sit down in the coffee shops, I took a 10 mile drive (on cruise control) to my favorite, had Americano in a paper cup, whille sitting in a leather chair by the fireplace. Read a magazine from the stack of them under the table, Gave a nice tip to the baristas, which I don't normally do. Then stopped at goodwill, scored three pairs of designer named socks still in the manufacturer's wrapper.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Picked up some groceries......unpacking at home....phone rang.

Surgeon's office....."You're having your hip replacement this Friday; tomorrow you have the pre-op class, and then go to the HS for a Covid swab....I'll get back to you with details".

Closed Thread