Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2021, 08:02 PM   #401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I painted the molding for the she shed, and installed it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #402
Recycles dryer sheets

Tuesday morning is my weekly date time with Mom. Brought her some cookies and planned a trip to Kansas City for a visit with her sister.

Weather in CA is gorgeous so got out on my bicycle for 20 miles this afternoon. That was followed by a walk around the park with lovely wife, dinner and a bottle of wine.

Couldn’t ask for a better day.
1242Vintage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #403
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Went grocery shopping this morning at 6:30am. When I was checking out the lady said she couldn't ring up a bottle of wine for 5 minutes. So I said I'll put it on the belt last. I am guessing but there is a homeless camp near the store and maybe they don't want to sell them alcohol during the night. Got everything rung up and then had to wait 2 minutes until 7:01am before she could add the wine. Maybe its programmed into the register to not accept it until that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It's probably a remnant of state blue laws from Prohibition. Here in WV no alcoholic beverages can be sold on Sunday before 1:00 PM. I suppose there's an interesting history of drunks showing up for Sunday services behind that law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
When we first moved to Connecticut, you couldn't buy booze after 8pm, and not at all on Sunday. So you had to plan ahead. It was well into the 2000's before that changed. Still can't buy anything but beer in the grocery store.

In Arizona, alcohol sales are prohibited from 2AM to 6AM. Bars are also closed at 2AM.

Prior to 2010, alcohol sales on Sunday were not allowed before noon.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #404
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I successfully signed up on a waiting list for Covid vaccine this morning.

I just got out of our swim spa. I haven't been in since November. (Spa yes, swim, no). My son is snowboarding this afternoon at the resort visible from our house. There is still snow on parts of the deck, but not for long. I've been walking for exercise. I forgot the joy of swimming with the pandemic. Moving the whole body, and no joint pains. It's probably a good day for grilling as well. Sad that the short eastern ski season is ending soon, but happy for spring.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #405
Give me a forum ...

Visited my camp today, about a foot of snow, 55F. Bright sunshine. Worked on overall suntan for about an hour. It got cloudy around 2PM. Then came home. Washed truck, washed garage floor to clean out winter crud. Looks like rain is on the way now.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #406
Administrator

I did my bi-weekly run to the grocery store. Woohoo!
Old 02-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsander View Post
My first Monday of retirement. Got up and we have around 6” of snow, temp is 17F with a 4F wind chill. It’s bad since we live in Louisiana. The upside is I’m not getting calls and emails from work trying to deal with emergency’s. I’m doing nothing but watch the birds eat.
What a great feeling....lol...relax and have some hot chocolate.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:27 AM   #408
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the best days I have had in a long time. After a long cold winter we had a sunny 70 degree day. I took a hike with 3 friends by a scenic, flowing river. Then we went for coffee and sat outside in the warm sunshine and chatted about an hour. Came home had some lunch then took an hour long bike ride with DH. Cold weather is going to return but one day of spring in February was much appreciated.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #409
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I went for our second vaccine shot yesterday and both our arms are very sore this am. The 1st one was very little pain for us,and I had heard differant things about #2. She said she felt it more going in and was sore all afternoon. I didn't really feel it going in not very sore till this am. I am also sneezing and very runny nose ,like allergy type stuff. Oh well I'm just glad to have them over with and hope they do help keep us safe.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:01 PM   #410

Received a notice for jury duty today. In the paperwork accompanying the notice is that one can request being excused if one is over 70. Well, I'm 70 now, but will be 71 by the time the jury duty starts in April so I wrote a letter requesting excusal on those grounds. An additional page notes that one can request being excused if over 65 because the CDC says that people over 65 are more vulnerable to COVID-19. So I asked for excusal for that reason too.

Hopefully they'll take the hint that I don't want to be there.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:12 PM   #411

"Over 70" just means you've had your 70th birthday; no need to be 71.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's the way you see it and I see it. But what matters is the way the Clerk of the Circuit Court in WV sees it. So I wanted to be clear about that in the letter.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #413
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Ah, 71 - the halcyon days....as Mary Hopkin sang "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ".....if only I could remember them clearly...so terribly long ago..

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #414

Quote:
Received a notice for jury duty today. In the paperwork accompanying the notice is that one can request being excused if one is over 70. Well, I'm 70 now, but will be 71 by the time the jury duty starts in April so I wrote a letter requesting excusal on those grounds. An additional page notes that one can request being excused if over 65 because the CDC says that people over 65 are more vulnerable to COVID-19. So I asked for excusal for that reason too.

With your work in law enforcement, you would be the first person thrown out of the pool. Excusal saves spending the day waiting for them to say they don't want you anyway.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
With your work in law enforcement, you would be the first person thrown out of the pool. Excusal saves spending the day waiting for them to say they don't want you anyway.

Not necessarily, if it is a civil suit. DH sat on a jury, while he was an active LE officer, for a product liability case.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #416

Yesterday: I read for eight hours. Not all at once - 4 hours in the morning and 4 in the evening.

This is one of the greatest luxuries of retirement in my book - the time to devote as many hours as I choose in a day to reading for pleasure.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #417

Quote:

karma! people who don't want to serve get called. me? i want to serve but can't get called.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:07 PM   #418

Making a big pot of black eyed peas, smoked sausage and mustard greens for dinner tonight.
Yum
Old 02-26-2021, 05:15 PM   #419
Moderator Emeritus

Finally ordered my Ford Bronco. Covid and supplier issues have delayed the release. Don't know when I'm going to get it. Also did some woodworking, shopping at Menards, lunch at Jimmy Johns and a visit to MIL.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:51 PM   #420

took my wife to our doc for a pre-op exam for her bunion removal. we both took naps when we returned home (naps are grrrrrrrreat!). friday is pizza night around here...a small 1/2 cheese, 1/2 green pepper pan pizza.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote