Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^ Look wonderful!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #442

At Ft Zachary Taylor State Park, Key West.

Walked the beach, waded, took some pics. Hanging out in the amazing shade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210301_190847794.jpg (639.6 KB, 47 views)
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #443
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
At Ft Zachary Taylor State Park, Key West.

Walked the beach, waded, took some pics. Hanging out in the amazing shade.
Very nice.

I'm in Orange Beach AL but it's rainy here. Will be tomorrow too but nice after that. Still good to get away. And I can get some good food even if outdoor activities are a no go.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Very nice.

I'm in Orange Beach AL but it's rainy here. Will be tomorrow too but nice after that. Still good to get away. And I can get some good food even if outdoor activities are a no go.
Love that beach.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #445
Give me a forum ...

Typical Monday for me... got up around 6:45am and left for golf gourse at 7:45am... 18 holes (bad front nine, good back)... lunch with friends... return home and a couple hour nap. Life is good.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #446

Picked up a prescription, then on to Home Depot to get a 4 cu. ft. garden dump cart. According to DW, March is the beginning of the end of winter and the start of spring. Who am I to argue? Anyway, last fall when I was using a jackhammer to dig up the dirt (lots of shale rock here) to plant new grass in some bare areas I just used a bucket to haul the rocks I pulled out to the spot where we dump them.

Not this year! I'll use the dump cart, it looks to be much better than a wheelbarrow. A temptation I'll have to resist is to sit atop the rocks and ride it down the hill - I'd be lucky to not break any bones. But it sure will be tempting.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #447
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a hike - icy trail is turning to mud. And the critters are starting to come out. Came home and worked on a woodworking project.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #448

Spent time sharpening my jointer knives in the woodshop in preparation for some barstools I'm making. Boring but necessary.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #449
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Picked up a prescription, then on to Home Depot to get a 4 cu. ft. garden dump cart.
You're reminding me that I need to buy a wheelbarrow. I looked at them, but treat such things too roughly to buy a cart with a plastic bed. The plastic wheelbarrow I didn't move spent most of its life with a sheet of plywood glued under the base.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Took a 30 min drive over to the nearest "cultural" city and had lunch at favorite Mexican place. Then went to a VW dealer and test drove an VW Atlas, then to a Jeep dealer after that test drove a Grand Cherokee. Both VERY nice cars, but I am leaning toward the GC for a near purchase. Headed back home, picked up some really good Cabernet on sale at the State run Packy's (a New England term), then to the grocery store to get seafood for dinner tonight. Then home to a frenzied greeting by the two fur kids who are not used to us being away for 4+ hours.....
Ah yes the Packy's. Grew up in Central Massachusetts and as 17-21 year olds we spent a lot of time in the local Packy's trying to find cheap beer.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
You're reminding me that I need to buy a wheelbarrow. I looked at them, but treat such things too roughly to buy a cart with a plastic bed. The plastic wheelbarrow I didn't move spent most of its life with a sheet of plywood glued under the base.

Agree the plastic ones you need to be careful. I have two metal wheelbarrows for the heavy stuff. On another note, I bought DW one of those 2 wheel wheelbarrows, it is plastic bucket, but the 2 wheels gives better stability for her. She also has an approx 2ft x 4 ft 4 wheel garden cart to use. We both do the yardwork, but the more stable wheelbarrow was a wise choice to make it easier for her.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #452
Give me a forum ...

Got today started by sitting out front watching a glorious sunrise while enjoying a delightfully fresh cup of coffee. DW was up a little earlier than normal, so took the 4 legged mongrels for an early walk.

After our walk, out to the yard I went! We had a couple of sprinkler heads that were damaged so I replaced those as well and did a little PVC work on another sprinkler line. I am very happy that we had little to no damage from our winter freeze to the plumbing/well/septic but some of our trees look like they may have taken a significant hit which is depressing since we lost so many with October's ice storm. The local extension office said all we can do is "hurry up and wait" to see if they come back or not.

After lunch, I will probably start breaking down the "winter shelter" I have put up to protect the pool equipment pad. With temps in the 60s for the foreseeable future, I plan on spending quite a bit of time outside.

Have I mentioned retirement life is so, SO good?!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree.jpg (230.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #453

Today was fertilizing day. I use one kind for almost everything, but a special fertilizer for the gardenia.
Too early to get tomato plants. I plan to get the same varieties I had last year; Celebrity and Bobcat. One of the Bobcat tomatoes weighed 17 ounces!
We live in a MHP, so I have everything planted either in front of our home, or along side the carport.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #454

Got my 4th COVID test this morning. Took DD out to lunch for her birthday Monday last week. She got sick with a couple COVID symptoms that same night. Another person in the house where she lives tested positive. DW and I got tested Thursday, neg result reported Friday. DW didn't get tested until yesterday and last night I was feeling 4-5 different COVID symptoms, although each was VERY mild, so I booked a test today. On my way out this morning, DW reports a negative test and I feel much better this morning.

Fun stuff!!
Old 03-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #455
Give me a forum ...

Got my first 'professional' haircut in 10 months today. I've been nipping it back myself due to covid concerns. Went to an old fashion barber shop and there was one barber who had to be 80 years old available. Reluctantly I gave him a try. Let's just say I won't need one for at least 3 months. Oh well....I can blow that dough on something else.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #456
Administrator

Built a birdhouse. When our community garden opens up on 4/1, we plan to install the birdhouse in our plot. There are a number of other birdhouses in the garden and they are well used by the local birds.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Got my first 'professional' haircut in 10 months today. I've been nipping it back myself due to covid concerns. Went to an old fashion barber shop and there was one barber who had to be 80 years old available. Reluctantly I gave him a try. Let's just say I won't need one for at least 3 months. Oh well....I can blow that dough on something else.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #458

Went to the post office to pick up a package that needed a signature, then a minor grocery run.

The package turned out to be an R/C airplane that looks for all the world like a bird when in flight. There are some funny youtube videos of other birds attacking it for intruding on "their" territory. I have to give whoever packed it credit, it was well packaged and survived the trip from China intact. So I spent the rest of the morning/afternoon assembling that. All that's left is installing the controls and radio gear, and finish picking the glue off my fingers.

I've had other birds try to chase away a sailplane on occasion, it'll be interesting to see how they react to this thing.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #459
Recycles dryer sheets

We are boondocks camping in Anza Borrego park in So Cal. Hiked today, then managed a shower at the local campground. Back at camp and just enjoying the views and nice temps.IMG_0316.jpg
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #460

After continually replacing the vacuum line between the engine and the brakes while plowing last week, I recruited a neighbor to drive my Jeep while I drove the plow truck in to the shop today. Looks like a broken motor mount to me. I still have a road or two to plow. Hopefully I will get the truck back in a couple of days. In the meantime, the drywall folks showed up yesterday to prep for mudding and taping the upstairs living areas tomorrow. They may be done including texture by Friday.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote